Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 May 2015 (Tuesday) 00:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who pre-ordered the 5DS/5DSR?

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
12,204 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Aug 2010

May 28, 2015 13:56 |  #16

JM Photos wrote in post #17543986 (external link)
I'm curious as to who all has pre-ordered either of these cameras. I wasn't going to until I got an employee discount on the 5DS R that cut the price down to less than 1/5 of the original cost. I pre-ordered two of them! Now if July 2nd could come faster, that would be amazing!

What is with the July date? I thought they were shipping in June? What's the latest on when the 5DS R starts shipping?

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony: α7R II | Sony: 24GM, 12-24G, 24-105G, 200-600G | Sigma Art: 14-24, 35 F1.2, 105 Macro | Zeiss Batis: 85, 135 | Zeiss Loxia: 21, 35, 85 | Voigtländer: 12

sponsored links
umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,863 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

May 28, 2015 16:37 |  #17

I think this camera is going to be a bust for Canon. It has some cool features but I think the general consensus among the crowds I run with is who in the heck wants to play with 51MP files.

And If im being honest about it, I hope it is a bust. Maybe they will stop playing the MP race and start to develop sensors that will compete with the Sony sensors. Thats what most of the people really want.

I get that a few in here are drooling over the MP's. Glad canon developed a camera for you. But the majority in the industry doent want anything to do with all the Mps.

Just being honest about it.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Presha
859 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2010

May 28, 2015 16:55 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #18

Pre-ordered the 5dsr, as I print 30x40's at the least. I currently have a 5d3 that I stitch a lot of my shots to the tune of 60-600mb files (yes that's huge). So this 50mp camera was right up my alley as it will cut my workflow in half. Yes I would love to have better DR but, I've done well thus far since first buying a 5d2. On another note, I have a Fuji 617 but the expense developing, scanning and trying work with 2 or 3 of these files at once is like watching grass grow :)

So I'm really excited about this camera and I hope there's a surprise or two in there from canon (fingers crossed)

Fuji 617| Phase one 645 DF+| phase one p65+| 80mm 2.8 LS | 35mm AF

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,654 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 6 years ago by MakisM1.

May 28, 2015 18:44 |  #19

umphotography wrote in post #17575099 (external link)
I think this camera is going to be a bust for Canon. It has some cool features but I think the general consensus among the crowds I run with is who in the heck wants to play with 51MP files.

And If im being honest about it, I hope it is a bust. Maybe they will stop playing the MP race and start to develop sensors that will compete with the Sony sensors. Thats what most of the people really want.

I get that a few in here are drooling over the MP's. Glad canon developed a camera for you. But the majority in the industry doent want anything to do with all the Mps.

Sounds like you decided not to walk in this parade and you are praying for rain...

You made your choice, indeed you explained clearly the reasons, but the rest, to my ears sounds like you are denigrating the people that choose to pine for or buy the camera for their own reasons.

Just my 2c...

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
12,204 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 28, 2015 18:49 |  #20

MakisM1 wrote in post #17575231 (external link)
Sounds like you decided not to walk in this parade and you are praying for rain...

You made your choice, indeed you explained clearly the reasons, but the rest, to my ears sounds like you are denigrating the people that choose to pine for or buy the camera for their own reasons.

Just my 2c...

That is EXACTLY how I read it as well. A big put-down of photographers who have different needs and desires.

Sony: α7R II | Sony: 24GM, 12-24G, 24-105G, 200-600G | Sigma Art: 14-24, 35 F1.2, 105 Macro | Zeiss Batis: 85, 135 | Zeiss Loxia: 21, 35, 85 | Voigtländer: 12

Petie53
373 posts
Joined Jan 2014

May 28, 2015 19:30 |  #21

Well I think these new cameras make for an interesting and quite possibly exciting future! Yea I can't really afford this camera but it could lead the way for some real benefits for all of us. I like the idea of having high MP to allow lots of cropping while still having plenty of pixels to work with. Would like to see a version with better high ISO functionality of course but maybe that will come in the near future. Can't wait to see owners pictures posted here.

Pete
6D, 60D, EOS-M, EOS-M3, 22M, 11-22M, 18-55M, 55-200M, 15L 2.8 fisheye, 10-22 EFS, 35 F/2 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70L 2.8 II, 70-300L, 100-400L II

JM ­ Photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

May 29, 2015 00:11 |  #22

But the majority in the industry doent want anything to do with all the Mps.

A very uneducated and completely incorrect statement. There are plenty of people in the industry that would love to be able to work with the high MP count. This allows for much more room to crop an image without degradation. This also allows much bigger prints that remain high quality. The camera doesn't have to be shot using the 50 MP either...it allows the user to choose the MP that he/she wants depending on the situation. You can choose to shoot with lower MP or you can use the full capabilities of the high MP.

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000
Own: 24-105mm f/4L | Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 | Rokinon 14mm f/1.8
Want: 24-70mm f/2.8 L II | 70-200mm f/2.8 L II

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

May 29, 2015 02:23 |  #23

The general consensus from the crowds I run with (mostly landscape and other wilderness photographers) is that we love the 50MP, but the lack of improvement in DR has stopped any of us from ordering or even considering it, until we see what Sony/Nikon come up with.

It's a shame, because Canon has such a good lens collection and this camera, if it had the DR to go with its megapixels (and the C300II, with new sensor technology demonstrates that Canon is capable of producing a high-DR sensor, which is also rumoured to appear in the 5D4), would have been a top-class landscape camera. As it is, however, it will probably only be of interest to studio photographers who can control their lighting.

I think it will have a very short life cycle before it is replaced with an updated version. It competes for the same market segment as the Nikon D810 (and whatever successor model Nikon develops next), but is much more expensive and much less versatile The D810 works for landscapes and architecture as well as studio work, whereas the 5Ds only really works for studio photographers. The 5Ds wins on resolution for now, but against a 1.5-year-old camera sporting a 3-year-old sensor - it will likely be surpassed by the next Sony/Nikon.

SOX ­ 404
574 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 29, 2015 06:47 |  #24

Ahhh... come on. Let's hear from you again in several months after people post their photos; and after you see big photos taken with 50MPS.

Mine will come in mid June. I can't wait.....

AJ
1 x Canon 5DSR | 2 x Canon 5D2 | 8-15L | 16-35L | 17-40L (dead) | 50L | 85L | 100L | 135L | 180L | 70-200 2.8L IS
Aquatica UW Housing | INON Z240 | Ikelite DS-161 | Sola 600 | 2 x Sola 2000
My Flickr  (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,863 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited over 6 years ago by umphotography.

May 29, 2015 20:15 |  #25

As I previously said

I think canon needs. to improve the darks and shadow capabilities on their sensors and not play the MP game.

As I previously said

There are a few professions that want the Big MP Sensors. You now have your camera

And I stand by my statement. The majority in the industry dont want and have no need for the larger sensors. If you dont believe me, just get on the net and see what leading experts in the industry are saying.

The gripe with canon sensors is that they cant compete with Nikon and Sony sensors and dark and shadow retention and are a little behind in ISO. Just go to any wedding forum and ask pros who do it for a living. Its not a canon V/s Nikon Thing. Its just fact.

I would love to see canon step up to what Sony has done with their sensor technology.

So comb the hairs on the back of your necks back in place fellas. The general consensus in the wedding industry is that this camera is going to be a bust

Read what Jeff Ascough has to say if you dont believe me

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …tion-jeff-ascough?BI=4906 (external link)

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

quickben
Fairy Gapped
1,512 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2004

May 30, 2015 00:42 |  #26

umphotography wrote in post #17576481 (external link)
As I previously said

I think canon needs. to improve the darks and shadow capabilities on their sensors and not play the MP game.

As I previously said

There are a few professions that want the Big MP Sensors. You now have your camera

And I stand by my statement. The majority in the industry dont want and have no need for the larger sensors. If you dont believe me, just get on the net and see what leading experts in the industry are saying.

The gripe with canon sensors is that they cant compete with Nikon and Sony sensors and dark and shadow retention and are a little behind in ISO. Just go to any wedding forum and ask pros who do it for a living. Its not a canon V/s Nikon Thing. Its just fact.

I would love to see canon step up to what Sony has done with their sensor technology.

So comb the hairs on the back of your necks back in place fellas. The general consensus in the wedding industry is that this camera is going to be a bust

Do only professionals buy cameras ?

I'd save sweeping statements like that for after the camera has actually hit the market.

Fighting the war against the unnecessary use of the Book Worthy Smiley
My name is Gary, not Ben.
6D 24-70/2.8VC 85/1.8

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

May 30, 2015 06:00 |  #27

I think you have pretty much hit the nail on the head. I will probably get one, but simply because its the only Canon way to acquire slightly better image quality. But if say the 5D4 came out with a 36 Sony sensor with better low light and higher DR I would prefer that in a heartbeat.

My laptop can't. have more than 8GB of ram ( OK the graphics card has 4GB onboard, and the disc is the fastest one can get without going to SSD ) but with Photoshop, Portraiture and DPP4 loaded sometimes it slows down. I fully suspect with 120MB files its going to slow down :( - maybe really struggle :( ??
So that extra detail may come at a price.
Hence its going to be a reluctant purchase - and I feel I am un happily locked into Canon, due to L lens aquisitions, spare batteries, cases and Speedlights with Canon radio triggers etc.
In summary the sensor still seems to be holding Canon back.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
12,204 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 6 years ago by David Arbogast. (3 edits in all)

May 30, 2015 06:33 |  #28

umphotography wrote in post #17576481 (external link)
As I previously said

As I previously said

Have you even bothered to view the videos and written statements from Canon about who they are marketing the camera to? They reference landscape, architectural, nature, and studio shooters. The camera was designed specifically for those that want or need to capture ultra-high detail images. They never ever mention wedding photographry as being a suitable use for the 5DS. Yet here you are talking about "wedding photographers" as if that is somehow relevant. It is 100% irrelevant.

And you talk about "the majority in the industry". Are you incapable of comprehending the possibility that maybe Canon isn't marketing the camera to "the majority of the industry"? When Nikon announced their D810A for astrophotography did you pop into some thread on that particular camera and take a dump on it saying that "this camera is going to be a bust" because "wedding photographers" and "the majority in the industry" don't want an astrophotography camera? I appreciate that camera manufacturers are beginning to develop niche products so that the needs of everyone "in the industry" are addressed, not merely "the majority". And I think it is rotten that you are too self-obsessed to appreciate it as well.

So, you "stand by your statement". Well, I agree with you about the sensor dynamic range. Canon is more than a little behind in that area. But, are you going to be consistent? Are you going to say that Canon shouldn't release ANY camera till they catch up on sensor DR? I recall your over-the-top giddiness a few months back about the 7D II, which made precious little advancement in sensor DR and is also woefully behind competing Sony APS-C sensors. The lack of consistency makes me unbelieving regarding the sincerity of your 5DS criticism. I think you are complaining for one reason and one reason alone: Canon has made a camera that doesn't serve a wedding phtography purpose and because of that and that only, you don't like it.

It is you, Mike, who has the hairs on the back of your neck raised. Canon has made a camera that doesn't suit your needs, and that's got you hot and bothered. How dare Canon make a camera that doesn't suit the needs of a wedding photographer. How dare Canon make a product for someone other than you.

I am not meaning to defend this particular camera, it may sell well and it may not. It does have a serious shortcoming in DR and it is very expensive. So, what am I doing? I am protesting the behavior of some that drop in on a product thread and take a big dump all over it. I never do that. I didn't do that with the 7D II or 70D, and won't do it with the 5D IV either. If I don't like something, I simply won't buy it. I may not buy the 5DS R for that matter. But, I don't see the need, usefulness, or purpose of posting to a product thread to trash-talk it.

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Oct 2014

May 30, 2015 09:01 |  #29

Submariner wrote in post #17576794 (external link)
I think you have pretty much hit the nail on the head. I will probably get one, but simply because its the only Canon way to acquire slightly better image quality. But if say the 5D4 came out with a 36 Sony sensor with better low light and higher DR I would prefer that in a heartbeat.

My laptop can't. have more than 8GB of ram ( OK the graphics card has 4GB onboard, and the disc is the fastest one can get without going to SSD ) but with Photoshop, Portraiture and DPP4 loaded sometimes it slows down. I fully suspect with 120MB files its going to slow down :( - maybe really struggle :( ??
So that extra detail may come at a price.
Hence its going to be a reluctant purchase - and I feel I am un happily locked into Canon, due to L lens aquisitions, spare batteries, cases and Speedlights with Canon radio triggers etc.
In summary the sensor still seems to be holding Canon back.

There is a 0.0% chance the 5D4 will have a Sony sensor. Bookmark this and browbeat me if I'm wrong, but I'm extremely confident about it. It will hopefully use the same dual-readout technology as the C300II and make some improvements that way, but it will not use a Sony sensor.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,863 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 30, 2015 12:26 |  #30

Its gonna be a bust for Canon.

And it will delay the the 5D4 release as well. Which is fine by me. My 5D3's work great. Look Ive been shooting canon since 1974. Im not about to leave canon. Not trying to poop on peoples parade. But canon has introduced a camera that is going to be aimed at a limited market. Its not a body for my needs. It is for others. Ill bet the intro Price drops like a rock. Just look at the cinema line up.......Dud all the way

There are a few advances of technology that are interesting but once again, canon has done nothing to improve the weakness of the sensors. Everyone knows its a problem.Just look at the flagship 1Dx at 100% at 16k and 25K ISO's at 100%........Its laughable. Have you ever seen a Sony at 25K iso at 100%....amazing what they did....50K even more amazing for 50K. Its better than the 1Dx at 16K

If you have great light I can see this new camera doing some wonderful things. Gonna be a great studio camera for Giant prints. Great. Who prints regularly over 30x40 ?? 5D3 handles 30x40 all day long. Most photographers dont do 6' x 12' prints.

This camera introduction will have sub par ISO performance to the 5D3. And God help someone trying to blow up giant prints at High ISO's with this body with the current technology canon uses. But hey, Its got 51 Mps......Aw Aw Aw says Tim the tool man

So Fan Boys. Try to have a grown up conversation instead of what your doing. Ive been doing this too long.

Not a camera for me. Great for those that have Medium format needs and commercial needs. Not many of those left these days

Wake up Canon and fix the sensors. Thats where you need to concentrate on.

For the record- Really glad some of you guys get a camera for these needs that you have

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

16,994 views & 16 likes for this thread
Who pre-ordered the 5DS/5DSR?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.