Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 18 May 2015 (Monday) 21:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tell me, am I nuts thinking of ditching my Canon 135 f2/L for a 85 f1.8

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,990 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by idsurfer. (2 edits in all)

May 29, 2015 08:06 |  #31

mannetti21 wrote in post #17562075 (external link)
I did just that and have not regretted the decision. However, if you are looking for a lens specifically for portraits, its hard to beat the 135L. I would loosely argue that the 135 does extremely well with portraits, so well in fact, that it almost seems to be a specialty lens with not a ton of versatility. Just my personal experience and I'm sure you can find plenty of exceptions/examples to counter that statement.

IMO, one major drawback to the 135L is, ironically, the 135mm focal length. During events and difficult lighting I use the 85 far more often than the 135. I found that when I want/need the 135mm length, the 70-200 fills in nicely (even for most portrait scenarios). The one thing I didn't realize prior to purchasing the 135 was that despite it being f/2, it really isn't suited for low-light situations due to the focal length. To eliminate camera shake, I always had to keep the shutter at about 1/250, so I essentially neutralized the benefits of the wide aperture by having to select a faster shutter speed. I'm not sure why I couldn't get away with a 1/200 speed, but for me, it really had to be 1/250 to get crisp shots consistently. (Maybe something to do with the size/weight of the lens???) With the 85 1.8, not only do I gain an additional 1/3 stop via aperture, but I can also stay at 1/100 to gain an additional 2/3 stop over the 135L. Therefore, I was gaining a full stop of light in real-world use of the 85 1.8 over the 135L.

So, while the above may not apply to your originally intended use, I think it's something worth considering before purchasing the lens.

I agree with mannetti21's post 100%. As you know, The 135 is really awesome. IQ is top notch. However, it is a bit of a specialty lens. A bit long a lot of times. But the real kicker for me was that I had to have good light to get sharp shots and that meant SS's >1/250 and preferably ~1/500. This limited it's use. The f/2 was more for throwing the BG OOF/subject separation rather than light gathering. So I sold mine.....to mannetti21! :lol:

I think the prevailing message in this thread is to simply pick up the 85 as it is a very good lens and quite affordable (as far as camera gear goes).

I would love to see a 135mm with IS

EDIT: You do know there is an 85 1.8 sample thread...right?

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17575143

Cory
Sony ⍺6400 | Sigma 56/1.4 | Sony/Zeiss E 24/1.8 | Zeiss Touit 12/2.8
flickr (external link)
Feedback

burb1972
126 posts
Joined Aug 2013

May 29, 2015 21:04 as a reply to  @ idsurfer's post |  #32

i currently have 3 in the range, trying to determine which one to keep, 100 f2 canon , sigma 70 2.8 macro and 135f2. the 135 f2 is prob going to win. I have the 50 stm in the mail for short range. but def the 100 f2 is better than the 85/1.8 unless u are on crop and depending on use. havent had a lot of time to test, but the 70 is pretty much sharper than anything, like any af lens ever period. but the output from the 135 is beautiful. and the 100 f2 is more usable. but i will have the 50 to cover short distance. anyway, hope to put a comparison test on here soon.

mike parker
gear list 5dc, tamron 19-35, tamron 28-75, 50mm 1.8 mark 1, 28-70 3.5 canon(x2), 100 f/2 canon, 70-300 usm is, helios 44-2, vpk lens put into a m42 cap attached to a bellows, 430 ex

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6,976 views & 3 likes for this thread
Tell me, am I nuts thinking of ditching my Canon 135 f2/L for a 85 f1.8
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.