Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 24 May 2015 (Sunday) 06:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photo cropped for printing

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,021 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 29, 2015 18:28 |  #16

flyingphotoman wrote in post #17576249 (external link)
I learned this lesson the hard way. I had the same problem that you are having only this was an important shot and the person wanted an 8x10 not a 8x12. When I took the picture I framed it too close on the sides and when I went to make an 8x10 part of the people were cut off. When your camera is set for 4x6 prints and you make an 8x10 print you will lose one inch on each side.

The aspect ratio for 4x6 prints is 3:2. 4 X 2 = 8. 4 X 3 = 12 So you get 8 X 12. (When specifying prints you always give the short side first.)

The aspect ratio for 8 X 10 prints is 4:3. It will not come out mathematically like above but that is the aspect ratio for 8 X 10.

I don't know if you can change the aspect ratio in the menu of your camera but I know I can on my 5D3.

So if I know that I want to have 8 X 10 prints made I can set my aspect ratio to 4:3 in the camera menu and frame as tight as I care to.
Or I can leave it at 3:2 and ALWAYS remember to shoot WIDE knowing that I will lose one inch on each side when the prints ( 8 x 10 ) are made. When I shoot wide I import them into Lightroom and crop them with the 4:3 (8 x 10) aspect ratio and I know exactly the frame I will get when they are printed as 8 x 10.

Live and learn. I usually do more living than I do learning!

Note that 10×8 is NOT a 4:3 ratio but a 5:4 ratio, so you would still need to crop a 4:3 ratio compact/micro4/3 image, just not as much. I think the most commonly seen 4:3 ratio size is actually16×12.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,805 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

May 29, 2015 20:28 |  #17

You can use a post processing program to increase the canvas size, or to add a border at the top and bottom of the photo, so that it (the pixel count in each dimension) conforms to the 5:4 aspect ratio of the 8x10" print. That way, when it is printed, no one is trimmed off the long dimension of the print, it would look like this...

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/8669a3734005fb_729173a_zpsxwhguzlf.jpg

Of course, then you have the challenge of finding a suitable frame (larger than 8x10, along with a suitable matte with the appropriate 3:2, 10" x 6.6" opening) to present the oblong image area of the print (so the border area does not show).

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,021 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 30, 2015 04:38 |  #18

In the case of the posted image I would probably just clone in, or use content aware fill some of the grass foreground/tree background, to maintain the balance of the image. I think that was already suggested. In the case of this image it should not be too difficult. I have cloned in more complicated backgrounds to allow printing of images that would not otherwise crop easily for printing.

Alan

RKSphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
185 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 30, 2015 04:51 |  #19

flyingphotoman thanks for the info!

Wilt thanks for helping resize the photo!

Alan - would you be willing to fill in the top and bottom portions for me as you suggested?

Also - I am able to change the aspect ratio in my camera to 4:3. Should I just leave it there for all photos from now on? What if I want to print an 11x14 - will this setting work without too much cropping?

Thanks again - You all have been a tremendous help!

Randy

RKS
Nashville, Tn.
Canon 70D - Canon T4I and Canon 40D / Canon 100-400 v2 / Canon 24-105 L / Canon 17-55 2.8 / Canon 85mm 1.8/ Canon 50mm 1.4 / Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro / Sigma 70-200 2.8 / Sigma 10-20 [COLOR=red]/ Sigma EF530DG Super Flash

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,433 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Dec 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by gonzogolf.

May 30, 2015 04:53 as a reply to  @ RKSphoto's post |  #20

You need to learn to rely on your eye and instinct rather than changing your aspect ratio. No matter what you set the camera to, you may end up wanting another ratio.

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,870 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 30, 2015 05:23 |  #21

Have you already cropped the image? I'm seeing the image you posted at almost 2x1 (1280x676). If anyone is to help you with it then post the original uncropped image.

Gonzo gave the best advice for the future - shoot a little wider to allow printing the more popular sizes (5x7, 8x10, 11x14). Set up a test shot where you can go back and forth seeing what's in the viewfinder and what effect different crop sizes has on the image. You can use that info in the future.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

RKSphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
185 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 30, 2015 06:13 |  #22

gonzogolf - lesson learned there! I don't usually shoot 'people' but rather landscape. I did this as a favor. And I rarely print. I will definitely shoot wider if I know prints be made.

D Thompson - It looks like Edsport already did the "fillin" on the top portion of the photo back on page 1 of this thread.

Thanks Edsport!

Randy

RKS
Nashville, Tn.
Canon 70D - Canon T4I and Canon 40D / Canon 100-400 v2 / Canon 24-105 L / Canon 17-55 2.8 / Canon 85mm 1.8/ Canon 50mm 1.4 / Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro / Sigma 70-200 2.8 / Sigma 10-20 [COLOR=red]/ Sigma EF530DG Super Flash

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,870 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 30, 2015 06:37 |  #23

RKSphoto wrote in post #17576796 (external link)
D Thompson - It looks like Edsport already did the "fillin" on the top portion of the photo back on page 1 of this thread.

Randy

Yes I saw that, I was referring to your request to Alan.

RKSphoto wrote in post #17576750 (external link)
Alan - would you be willing to fill in the top and bottom portions for me as you suggested?

Randy

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,021 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 30, 2015 10:35 |  #24

I would have said yes I would give it a go. Unfortunatly I have been unwell for the last week (I have some difficult health issues), and my computer is sitting with no disk drive, as I had a problem that seems to have lost 2500+ images from last Saturdays Duxford airshow. So I'm waiting until I can go to a friends to try data recovery on the disk. As it is an SSD I'm not too hopeful. At least the 2500 images from the Sunday show are still on the cards. I had to put the Saturday images on the computer so that I could reuse the cards the next day. The files got lost while downlading the Sunday images, before I could do the backup at home. It would be nice to have more than 50 GB of cards for when I go to a two day show.

Alan

RKSphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
185 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 30, 2015 10:42 |  #25

Alan - so sorry to hear about your health - I hope you get well soon! Sorry to also hear about your computer problem - I hope your images can be recovered!

D Thompson - here is my original - uncropped image:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Thanks!

RKS
Nashville, Tn.

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,870 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 30, 2015 11:39 |  #26

From your uncropped version.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D

RKSphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
185 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 30, 2015 13:14 |  #27

Dennis - wow! Thanks very much!

According to the MPIX website, the max size I can print is 8.5x11. If the family decides they wanted it or others I shot, in an 11x14 can you adjust those as well if I post the original uncropped? I know I am asking for a lot, but I do greatly appreciate the help!

Big lesson learned!

Thanks again!
Randy

RKS
Nashville, Tn.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,021 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 30, 2015 13:49 as a reply to  @ RKSphoto's post |  #28

Thanks for your thoughts. The health problems are pretty permenent. The medics have just changed my pain meds. I've gone from 480mg of DF118's (Dihydrocodine) a day to 120 to 240 mg of Morephine Sulfate a day. Now I'm getting used to them the new meds things are starting to get a lot better.

I should be able to get round to a friends early next week to try out a data recovery on the SSD from my machine. Although I have been told I am unlikely to get anything back, unless it really is a disc fault. Then I can get down to processing the images that I do still have from last weekend. That should keep me busy for a while.

Alan

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,870 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 30, 2015 22:03 |  #29

RKSphoto wrote in post #17577107 (external link)
Dennis - wow! Thanks very much!

According to the MPIX website, the max size I can print is 8.5x11. If the family decides they wanted it or others I shot, in an 11x14 can you adjust those as well if I post the original uncropped? I know I am asking for a lot, but I do greatly appreciate the help!

Thanks again!
Randy

You're welcome. It took less than a minute.

Your original shows 1280x853 pixels which is the largest (1280) you can post here. If you're really wanting to print at a good quality, then you'd need to upload it to one of the file sharing sites (yousendit, mediafire, etc) and post the link here. There should be a lot more pixels in the original.

An 11x14 is really not much different than the 8x10, you'd probably not notice nor would it change things very much at all.

I'll be glad to help if I can.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 30, 2015 23:07 |  #30

You might take note of the little spots below the leaf at the bottom of the edit done by Dennis...to the OP do you have no editin software with cloning, or are you just totally inexperienced with photo editing? Those spots could be easily "blotted out" with a bit of cloning/spot removal!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

4,354 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photo cropped for printing
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.