Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 May 2015 (Tuesday) 00:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who pre-ordered the 5DS/5DSR?

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

May 30, 2015 16:20 |  #31

umphotography wrote in post #17576481 (external link)
As I previously said

I think canon needs. to improve the darks and shadow capabilities on their sensors and not play the MP game.

As I previously said

There are a few professions that want the Big MP Sensors. You now have your camera

And I stand by my statement. The majority in the industry dont want and have no need for the larger sensors. If you dont believe me, just get on the net and see what leading experts in the industry are saying.

The gripe with canon sensors is that they cant compete with Nikon and Sony sensors and dark and shadow retention and are a little behind in ISO. Just go to any wedding forum and ask pros who do it for a living. Its not a canon V/s Nikon Thing. Its just fact.

I would love to see canon step up to what Sony has done with their sensor technology.

So comb the hairs on the back of your necks back in place fellas. The general consensus in the wedding industry is that this camera is going to be a bust

Read what Jeff Ascough has to say if you dont believe me

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …tion-jeff-ascough?BI=4906 (external link)

Not true.

There are plenty of professionals out there shooting using MF bodies or MF digital backs. Landscape, studio, architecture, advertising, fashion, technical work... the list goes on.

Many switched over to full-frame when the 36MP D800 came out. Many more will switch when a 50MP Sony/Nikon sensor appears. But they won't switch for the 5Ds, which, although having the resolution of a MFDB, cannot match the MFDB's dynamic range.

Action and event photographers may not need resolution and are the most publicly-visible photographers, since they work out in public and with large groups of people, but are hardly the only photographers out there.

sponsored links
quickben
Fairy Gapped
1,511 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2004

May 30, 2015 18:41 |  #32

umphotography wrote in post #17577070 (external link)
Its gonna be a bust for Canon.

And it will delay the the 5D4 release as well. Which is fine by me. My 5D3's work great. Look Ive been shooting canon since 1974. Im not about to leave canon. Not trying to poop on peoples parade. But canon has introduced a camera that is going to be aimed at a limited market. Its not a body for my needs. It is for others. Ill bet the intro Price drops like a rock. Just look at the cinema line up.......Dud all the way

There are a few advances of technology that are interesting but once again, canon has done nothing to improve the weakness of the sensors. Everyone knows its a problem.Just look at the flagship 1Dx at 100% at 16k and 25K ISO's at 100%........Its laughable. Have you ever seen a Sony at 25K iso at 100%....amazing what they did....50K even more amazing for 50K. Its better than the 1Dx at 16K

If you have great light I can see this new camera doing some wonderful things. Gonna be a great studio camera for Giant prints. Great. Who prints regularly over 30x40 ?? 5D3 handles 30x40 all day long. Most photographers dont do 6' x 12' prints.

This camera introduction will have sub par ISO performance to the 5D3. And God help someone trying to blow up giant prints at High ISO's with this body with the current technology canon uses. But hey, Its got 51 Mps......Aw Aw Aw says Tim the tool man

So Fan Boys. Try to have a grown up conversation instead of what your doing. Ive been doing this too long.

Not a camera for me. Great for those that have Medium format needs and commercial needs. Not many of those left these days

Wake up Canon and fix the sensors. Thats where you need to concentrate on.

For the record- Really glad some of you guys get a camera for these needs that you have

Trolling ? I agree. You're getting boring now.

Do you have anything positive to contribute to this thread ?

A grown up wouldn't barge in on a thread entitled "Who pre-ordered the 5DS/5DSR?" and bad-mouth a camera that hasn't even hit the market yet. If it is a "bust?" for Canon, woo hoo, go have a dance in the street. Give me a shout and I'll come and play the bongos for you while you do.

In the mean time, I can't wait to see some full resolution examples. I'm especially interested to see how it renders colours. I'm expecting with so many pixels on hand to render tones that the colours will be rich and deep.

Fighting the war against the unnecessary use of the Book Worthy Smiley
My name is Gary, not Ben.
6D 24-70/2.8VC 85/1.8

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,962 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by David Arbogast. (2 edits in all)

May 30, 2015 18:55 |  #33

umphotography wrote in post #17577070 (external link)
So Fan Boys. Try to have a grown up conversation instead of what your doing. Ive been doing this too long.

Stooping to name-calling ("fan boys") and then suggesting a "grown-up" conversation? Ironic. ;)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, FE 50mm ZA, Batis 85mm

dolina
Goldmember
4,819 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 01, 2015 12:00 |  #34

Wonder why a developing Asian country like Indonesia have their launch on May 30th?

IMAGE: https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t51.2885-15/e15/11376282_1583500285257126_1053856126_n.jpg

Visit my Flickr (external link), Facebook (external link) & 500px (external link) and see my photos. :)

Presha
834 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 01, 2015 15:10 as a reply to  @ dolina's post |  #35

Say it ain't so ߘ

Fuji 617| Phase one 645 DF+| phase one p65+| 80mm 2.8 LS | 35mm AF

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,574 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 01, 2015 15:31 |  #36

mfingar wrote in post #17569395 (external link)
I'm on the list...with an SR.

I rarely leave ISO100 for studio work, 50 megapixels will be most welcome.

I don't think that the 5Ds cameras will be much noisier than the 6D at high ISOs; maybe a half stop more. They seem to be lacking the mild high-ISO banding of the 5D3, so I think that even if the 5Ds scores less than the 5D3, between the more random noise character and the greater room for NR with more pixels, in practice it may be as good or better than the 5D3 at high-ISO noise.

When you get to really high ISOs, combined with small output sizes, the character of the noise becomes very important, moreso than small differences in measured noise quantity. My 5D2 had about half the measured read noise "per unit of sensor area" as my 7D, so you would think that a 1.6x crop from the 5D2 would be much better at high ISO noise, but it did not happen in practice, and I would up leaving the 5D2 home for focal-length-limited work, even on dark days.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,574 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 01, 2015 15:51 |  #37

umphotography wrote in post #17575099 (external link)
I think this camera is going to be a bust for Canon. It has some cool features but I think the general consensus among the crowds I run with is who in the heck wants to play with 51MP files.

And If im being honest about it, I hope it is a bust. Maybe they will stop playing the MP race and start to develop sensors that will compete with the Sony sensors. Thats what most of the people really want.

High pixel density is not antagonistic to base-ISO DR, though. In fact, it helps. The 5Ds has significantly more image-level base-ISO DR than the original 5D, even though the measured pixel-level DR is only a fraction of a stop better. If Canon made a gigapixel sensor with their current technology, it would have at least 2 stops more image-level DR than the 5Ds. Of course, in the small increments we are seeing in pixel density, pixel density won't help Canon catch up in the DR race.

I get that a few in here are drooling over the MP's. Glad canon developed a camera for you. But the majority in the industry doent want anything to do with all the Mps.

Just being honest about it.

That will change when everyone starts getting 8K displays. The reason most people don't see the beauty of much higher pixel densities is because they have never seen them displayed. I can tell you right now that my 2MP and 5MP images need some serious texture make-up to look healthy on my 4K monitor. The pixelation is very obvious. 18 to 22MP images will have the same problem on 8K monitors, even if to a smaller degree. The choices will be to display the images sub-screen, or de-pixelate with methods like diffuse nearest neighbor, or use a fractal resizing program to make the lack of resolution less obvious.

Sure, a well-composed image taken at the right place, at the right time, can be engaging even if its micro-texture is bad, but there are many types of images exist to show the textures in the scene, and those images fail to impress as much once you have seen better.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,574 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 01, 2015 15:57 |  #38

JM Photos wrote in post #17575498 (external link)
A very uneducated and completely incorrect statement. There are plenty of people in the industry that would love to be able to work with the high MP count. This allows for much more room to crop an image without degradation. This also allows much bigger prints that remain high quality.

Many folks, when assessing the value of pixel density, forget not only that images are often cropped, but that they can need CA correction, rotation, resampling, perspective correction, distortion correction, etc, and no capture is better for these things than one where you have so many pixel that there is weak contrast between neighboring pixels. The 5Ds is a step in that direction, but still nowhere near the point of no further returns.

Monito
460 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 01, 2015 18:23 as a reply to  @ post 17577070 |  #39

umphotography wrote in post #17575099 (external link)
I think this camera is going to be a bust for Canon. [...] And If im being honest about it, I hope it is a bust. [...] Not a camera for me. [...] Look Ive been shooting canon since 1974. Im not about to leave canon. Not trying to poop on peoples parade.

Canon did not release his dream camera on his schedule, so yes, he is trying to pee on all the people buying the 5DS/R by hoping they get burdened with an Edsel, a failed product they can't even sell used.

It's a very dim negative mentality that is supposedly loyal to a company and simultaneously wants the company to suffer a very bad public blow against a prestige product and suffer a big financial loss. The poster is discombobulated by his cognitive dissonance that he is unaware of or unwilling to acknowledge.

This is the poster's wish rather than wishing his favorite Canon company success so that it has the money to do SoNikony one better in the area of deficiency that troubles him the most.

Very dim perspective.

Canon System: fullframe DSLRs, lenses. Tripods, Alien Bees.
Always learning and striving to make better photographs.

Monito
460 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Monito.

Jun 01, 2015 19:41 |  #40

I pre-ordered the 5DS. It is the camera for me.

I go through the specs and compare it to the 5D2 I have and everything is an upgrade. I have never pre-ordered anything before.

* Better image quality
* * Higher resolution (less stitching)
* * * Can crop as if shooting a 7D2
* * Cleaner shadows
* * About 5 % better color metamerism
* Mirror vibration mechanism
* Release lag setting for mirror lockup
* Built-in HDR features
* AEB +/- 3 stops (up from 2)
* 5 fps (up from 3.9)
* Better AutoFocus by quite a leap
* * More points
* * Better points
* * Lower light AF
* * AF point expansion
* * Auto AF point selection
* 252 zone metering (up from 35)
* 1 stop better low light metering
* Anti-flicker technology
* Built-in Bulb timer
* Built-in intervalometer
* USB 3
* 170 degree viewable LCD
* Dual cards
* 100% viewfinder
* Bigger LCD monitor
* Ergonomic DoF preview button

Yes, I love to photograph landscapes, architecture, nature, macro, and sometimes studio work. Yes, I have an excellent tripod.

Canon System: fullframe DSLRs, lenses. Tripods, Alien Bees.
Always learning and striving to make better photographs.

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,242 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Jun 01, 2015 21:02 |  #41

David Arbogast wrote in post #17577447 (external link)
Stooping to name-calling ("fan boys") and then suggesting a "grown-up" conversation? Ironic. ;)

Saved me the trouble of calling him out.:lol:

Vice President of the No-Talent Gear Head club
SL1 | 24 STM | 18-135 IS STM | 55-250 IS STM
5D3 | 35/2 IS | 40 STM | Σ50A | 50 STM | 100L | 24-70L 2.8 II | 24-105L | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 70-300L | 100-400L II

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,574 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 02, 2015 12:17 |  #42

LonelyBoy wrote in post #17580396 (external link)
Saved me the trouble of calling him out.:lol:

Whether or not you consider him a spoilsport, the fact remains that Canon has blown an excellent marketing opportunity by waiting for some future camera with less than 50MP to use the dual-gain readout. The first 50MP FF "landscape" camera would have been the best place for Canon to get back in the top of the game with much-increased DR, regardless of the fact that there are people eager for it, as is.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,962 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 02, 2015 14:37 |  #43

John Sheehy wrote in post #17581239 (external link)
Whether or not you consider him a spoilsport, the fact remains that Canon has blown an excellent marketing opportunity by waiting for some future camera with less than 50MP to use the dual-gain readout. The first 50MP FF "landscape" camera would have been the best place for Canon to get back in the top of the game with much-increased DR, regardless of the fact that there are people eager for it, as is.

Is that really going to happen, or is that just a wish/rumor? I agree that it is going to be a strange bizarre scenario if indeed the 5D IV is equipped with that sort of sensor and the camera that needs it most isn't thus equipped.

What are your plans, John? You going for a 5DS/R? Or are you going to wait or go a different direction altogether?

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, FE 50mm ZA, Batis 85mm

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,242 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Jun 02, 2015 16:16 |  #44

John Sheehy wrote in post #17581239 (external link)

I agree, though I imagine that the dual-gain just wasn't ready for inclusion yet. These things are always harder than they look from the outside. My point, however, was not that he's a spoilsport, or didn't have a point - he's a hypocrite. You don't get to call those who disagree with you "fanboys" and then ask for a "grown-up conversation". That's a quick way to discredit your entire position and call into question everything else you say.

Vice President of the No-Talent Gear Head club
SL1 | 24 STM | 18-135 IS STM | 55-250 IS STM
5D3 | 35/2 IS | 40 STM | Σ50A | 50 STM | 100L | 24-70L 2.8 II | 24-105L | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 70-300L | 100-400L II

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 02, 2015 16:23 |  #45

for $780 I'd buy ten of these, 5 each :-D

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

sponsored links

14,653 views & 16 likes for this thread
Who pre-ordered the 5DS/5DSR?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.