Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Jan 2013 (Wednesday) 13:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I guess Canon has spoiled me...

djohnfot
174 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 16, 2013 13:16 |  #1

I went outside the fold and purchased a Panasonic P&S travel zoom, the ZS15, a model similar to the Canon SX260. It's a very good camera with superior IQ for a P&S.

I had a sensor issue and was told they would send me a replacement. That was on Dec 20. I sent my camera to them the next day. Today is Jan. 16 and the replacement has just arrived. Three plus weeks! What speedy service.

I have owned Canons for many years and have had to use Canon service three times - once for a camera that was under recall and two times for a warranty issue (focusing problems). Each time I had my repaired camera back within 10 days, including shipping time.

One more reason to stick with Canon.

At least I finally have my new ZS15 and everything seems to be working.

sponsored links
nonetheweisser
213 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 16, 2013 14:47 |  #2

To be fair I would suspect there would be some delay due to the holidays. If you take into account weekends and holidays you're looking at 8 days out just for Christmas and new years.

Glad you got your camera back working correctly! :)

-Seth
T3i | 18-55mm kit lens | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | 50mm f/1.8 | 40mm f/2.8 | 100mm f/2.8 macro
http://www.flickr.com/​sethward79 (external link)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 16, 2013 18:03 |  #3

djohnfot wrote in post #15496575 (external link)
I went outside the fold and purchased a Panasonic P&S travel zoom, the ZS15, a model similar to the Canon SX260. It's a very good camera with superior IQ for a P&S.

I had a sensor issue and was told they would send me a replacement. That was on Dec 20. I sent my camera to them the next day. Today is Jan. 16 and the replacement has just arrived. Three plus weeks! What speedy service.

I have owned Canons for many years and have had to use Canon service three times - once for a camera that was under recall and two times for a warranty issue (focusing problems). Each time I had my repaired camera back within 10 days, including shipping time.

One more reason to stick with Canon.

At least I finally have my new ZS15 and everything seems to be working.

Did you fail to notice that between those dates there was what is known as Christmas.
Many businesses tend to close for a period time during that period, or at best have limited numbers of staff working.
This might just have had a slight impact on their turnaround time.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

djohnfot
THREAD ­ STARTER
174 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 17, 2013 01:01 |  #4

Holidays? Really? Thanks so much for setting me straight.

One of the cameras I sent to Canon service was posted over the holidays, albeit two years ago. It was delivered to my door exactly 10 days after I had shipped it to them. Panasonic took almost three times longer and all they had to do was take a replacement unit out of stock and post it to me. My point was that Canon's service is superior and that I should have considered that when purchasing a new camera. My point was not that Panasonic dropped the ball, rather that Canon did better.

I will remember that if I ever need another new camera.

Oh, the Panasonic replacement is working fine and it is a camera I would not hesitate to recommend. And Panasonic service is satisfactory, just slow.

djohnfot
THREAD ­ STARTER
174 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 02, 2015 01:22 as a reply to  @ djohnfot's post |  #5

The Panasonic died within a few months from the same sensor issue the first specimen had suffered from. This time Panasonic would not accept the camera for service despite the fact that the total time elapsed since I had purchased the first camera was within the 1 year warranty period. So I spent $200 for a new camera which died after a few weeks and a few hundred shots. It had not been dropped or jarred, had no moisture damage, no lens jams, and was always in the case when not being used. The first was at service for three weeks when I had been promised an immediate replacement by their phone rep. The replacement lasted even less time than the original before the sensor went bonkers and Panasonic service disowns it!?

I went out and bought another Canon. I will not buy another Panasonic.

jhartley
110 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jun 02, 2015 06:30 |  #6

I had a similar experience with a Nikon about 6-7 years ago. Bought it and within the first couple months the lens would keep doing a check and go in and out when you turned it on. contacted Nikon they had me ship it to them they repaired it sent it back took almost 3 months for them to send it back to me. With the repaired one it lasted less than a month and they told me it was out of warranty. No matter how good any Nikon looks I'll never buy another one due to this bad experience.

70D 18-135 STM, 10-22mm, 24mm STM, 40mm STM, 55-250 STM, 270EX II

PKIDelirium
35 posts
Joined May 2013

Jun 05, 2015 03:37 |  #7

My first digital was a Pentax Optio 330GS. I liked it, but Pentax service was awful. It was in the repair center at least three times, and it took at least a month each time even when it was just a d-pad that needed to be replaced. Once it ended up there while they were relocating that center, and it was out for over two months. When my new SX100 needed attention twice for problems including optical realignment and lens mount issues (it was "wobbly" for lack of a better term) it was never away for more than a week, and their communication was excellent. Pentax couldn't even find my Optio once, even with the manager of the local store where I had a warranty from calling to try to get it back

60D, Kiss Digital N/350D, 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, 50 1.8 II, Tamron 10-24, 75-300 III
Film: AE-1 with FD 50 1.8 S.C. and FD 135 3.5. EOS Rebel T2/300X with 28-90 III
[URL="http://flickr.co​m/donaldflint"][URL="h​ttp://flickr.com/donal​dflint"]Flickr

sponsored links

1,945 views & 0 likes for this thread
I guess Canon has spoiled me...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.