Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 03 Jun 2015 (Wednesday) 02:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recommended Tripod / Height

palad1n
Goldmember
1,766 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 03, 2015 02:19 |  #1

Hello,
i would like to ask you more experienced guys about recommended tripod height. Unfortunately i´am 6'3/190cm and I have serious issues finding right tripod for me. Little unusual question ... What tripod are you using happily and how tall are you? :)

As much as i invested time to learn about camera gear, I´am absolutely lost in tripod department:/

Thank you!

Website (online) : www.lukaskrasa.com (external link)
Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/​photos/105393908@N03/ (external link)
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.c​om/lukaskrasaphoto/ (external link)
Instagram: https://instagram.com/​lukaskrasacom (external link)
Lukas

sponsored links
Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,896 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 03, 2015 02:57 |  #2

as tall as you can handle.

generally, your height minus up to 15 inches is ok for minimum height. Reason for so much leeway is so you account for height of ballhead + height of camera + a little over so you can see the top lcd display/controls.

of course, if you can get a taller tripod, that's even better. Sometimes on hilly terrain, you need that extra length.

now when you speak height, you've got to consider how low can it go as well..... tripods without center columns, can go lower. Best to avoid the center column when possible.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 03, 2015 02:58 |  #3

I'm 5'7 and I use a manfrotto 190. As long as the head is at eye level without the centre column extended you GTG.

palad1n
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,766 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 03, 2015 09:22 |  #4

so avoid tripods with center column, got it, i like low angle shots, so min. height is very important to me.

Thank you, guys for helpful tips!

Lukas

mine1
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 03, 2015 13:54 |  #5

the feisol 3442 (4 section) and 3342 (3 section) get relatively tall without a center column, not even close to your eye level lol, but the optional center column they offer can be used at times when you need the height. those are travel tripod's and are about the tallest ones I could find.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/81190407@N08/ (external link)
Canon 60d.Canon 18-135, 55-250 II, and 10-18 stm. and Benro C-1681t Travel Angel, with Sirui K20x head.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,702 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Jun 03, 2015 14:35 |  #6

FerozeK wrote in post #17582089 (external link)
I'm 5'7 and I use a manfrotto 190. As long as the head is at eye level without the centre column extended you GTG.

The preceding statement assumes that eye level is always the best point of view for every shot...(not). Where one's eye is positioned ought to be where the composition is strongest.

Charlie summarized it best.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

PCousins
980 posts
Gallery: 594 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2014

Jun 03, 2015 14:41 |  #7

I'm also 6'3 and I use a Gitzo GT3542XLS with a manfrotto 410 geared head. This is a wonderful tripod (carbon fibre) and more than big enough for me. In fact it would suit someone at 7'0 tall.

Gear List

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,080 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 03, 2015 15:58 |  #8

PCousins wrote in post #17582765 (external link)
I'm also 6'3 and I use a Gitzo GT3542XLS with a manfrotto 410 geared head. This is a wonderful tripod (carbon fibre) and more than big enough for me. In fact it would suit someone at 7'0 tall.

Not quite 7 footers - but I agree with you. It is a fine tripod and will happily support silly lenses. I have it's (shorter) brother the GT3530LS and that works perfectly for Leprechauns to 6 and a bit footers. It is also more than adequate for any current Canon?Nikon lens - mine is used with my Canon 800 F5.63 L IS as well as shorter lenses close to the ground for landscapes & macro.
You can't go wrong with any of this series - it's just a matter of finding the optimum model for one's personal requirements.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

SailingAway
380 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 03, 2015 17:04 |  #9

What you're shooting also figures in.

Generally, I'd want to be able to hit the subject's eye height or a little above when shooting people.

But it's also true that way too much is shot at the most convenient height for the photographer. Some subjects are begging to be shot at high angle or low angle.

I'm 5'9" and most often use a Manfrotto 190-series. With ballhead (and a little column) it gets to my eye height quite easily. I don't mind using the column for additional height - but I know I'd feel differently if I were shooting a super-telephoto. With its articulating column it gets as low as you want. If I need a truly high angle, the old Manfrotto beast that goes over 9' comes out, along with the stepladder.

It's often repeated that columns are less stable, and should therefore be avoided. It's true that most are a little less stable than a higher tripod, but unless you're shooting over 200 or 300mm, a good tripod with column does fine. I'm well prepared for others to call my view wrong-headed, but I do think that these commonly held truths should be dusted off occasionally, and see how it fits for you and your shooting!

So... what do you shoot? And do you or will you plan to own a lens over 200mm?

I've mostly shot Gitzo & Manfrotto, but the Feisols look like an excellent value.

From the upper left corner of the U.S.
Photos, Video & Pano r us.
College and workshop instructor in video and audio.
70D, Sigma 8mm, Tokina f2.8 11-16, Canon EF-S f2.8 17-55, Sigma f2.8 50-150 EX OS, Tamron 150-600VC. Gigapan Epic Pro, Nodal Ninja 5 & R10.

The ­ Limey
424 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 03, 2015 23:11 |  #10

Back in the day i bought amvona tripod and mono carbon fibre I'm 6-6in dam mono eyeballs me and so does the tripod love them
Hoof

7D,20D,1V.
24-105L.
17-85.4EF-S,50.1.4.

corposant
41 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 03, 2015 23:21 |  #11

Get the tallest tripod you can, unless you want a back problem from hunching over (or are using a waist level finder).

rgs
Goldmember
2,316 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 03, 2015 23:43 |  #12

I'm about 5'8". I use a Manfrotto 055 PROB with a rather large Sirui ball head. At full extension I have to stretch up just a bit to use the viewfinder.
a word about center columns. The usual warning about them only applies when using the tripod at slow shutter speeds. Even then, if the column is not fully extended, it may not effect quality. If you do extend the center column, realized the camera is not as steady so use a remote release and lock the shutter up.

Center columns have other uses. If framing is critical, a tripod imposes framing discipline that hand holding won't. It is also useful when you need to pre-focus. I often shoot large (100 or more people) groups - usually with studio type flash. This involves both pre-framing and pre-focusing. In order to get the camera up as high as possible so no one's face is blocked, I extend the center column as far as possible and stand on a chair or step stool. I am never concerned with camera movement because of the flash.

Center columns are also good for small adjustments and, depending on construction, may permit getting the camera quite low or in an unusual position.

As long as the camera is stable with the center column down, I would advise buying the model with center column if one is available. Just don't get a geared type (as opposed to a geared head wihich is a great idea for some uses) because they are always weak and won't be stable. I don't believe I would want a fluid type either.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,154 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 03, 2015 23:47 |  #13

I'm 6'2" and have a Manfrotto 190xprob and its too short even with the center column extended and the RRS ballhead.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

farmer1957
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 04, 2015 05:37 |  #14

I have a Induro at 413 tripod , I love it, I am 6,2 .
I also have a manfrotto tripod and IMO the Induro is 100 times sturdier .

palad1n
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,766 posts
Joined Jun 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by palad1n.

Jun 05, 2015 04:13 |  #15

Thank you, guys!

I certainly try these Feisol and Induro tripods, gitzos are great, but little bit over my budget :)
I was thinking about Manfrotto 055CX3, maximum height is 177 cm + head and camera.

What about Velbond or Vanguard? have anyone tested their latest tripods?

Lukas

sponsored links

2,848 views & 0 likes for this thread
Recommended Tripod / Height
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.