Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 30 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 02:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Lure of the Dark Side: A Long Time Canon's User's Switch to Nikon D750

markoftime
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Feb 07, 2015 21:30 |  #16

It seems many people are switching to the Nikon D750

sponsored links
Jon_Doh
872 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 10, 2015 08:47 |  #17

markoftime wrote in post #17420984 (external link)
It seems many people are switching to the Nikon D750

It has everything I'm looking for in a camera and features comparable Canon's don't have. But, my work horse lens is the 70-200 and the Canon version is much sharper than Nikon's so I'm staying put for now.

I use a Kodak Brownie

CoffeedrinkerinNC
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Feb 19, 2015 06:03 |  #18

To me, it's more than just changing a camera, it a whole system change, glass & flash. I would have to sell all my canon glass and purchase new nikon glass. So I would be selling my canon glass at a loss to purchase nikon glass which cost more.

EOS 3, EOS 7D, 17-40/f4, 24-105/f4 IS, 70-200/f4 IS, 50/f1.8, 100/f2

Poe
Goldmember
1,955 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 20, 2015 16:20 as a reply to  @ CoffeedrinkerinNC's post |  #19

Well, you are paying in part for a 5 year warranty versus 1 year. I'd expect equivolent lenses to be more expensive from this aspect alone

Nikon D750, D7200 | Nikon-Nikkor 14-24G, 60G Micro, 70-300E | SIGMA 35A, 105 OS, 24-105 OS | ZEISS Distagon 2.0/25 Classic, Apo-Distagon 1.4/55 Otus, Apo-Planar 1.4/85 Otus, Makro-Planar 2/100 Classic, Apo-Sonnar 2/135 Classic

leotroll
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Apr 02, 2015 05:08 |  #20

I never really look at the cameras I'm always looking for great second hand lenses, then I look for a camera to acccompany that particular lens.I ended up the user of canon 7d because I purchased a canon 24-105 L f4 lens second hand with an extra 20% off as a local store was closing down.Initially was getting the nikon 24-70 f2.8 but was beaten to it or else I would now be writing this on a nikon website.I can never understand people buying fantastic cameras and then only being able to afford inferior lenses.

tim
Light Bringer
50,972 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 02, 2015 16:48 |  #21

This makes a long time D700 user who's still very happy with the cameras think about upgrading!

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 02, 2015 19:11 |  #22

leotroll wrote in post #17501663 (external link)
I never really look at the cameras I'm always looking for great second hand lenses, then I look for a camera to acccompany that particular lens.I ended up the user of canon 7d because I purchased a canon 24-105 L f4 lens second hand with an extra 20% off as a local store was closing down.Initially was getting the nikon 24-70 f2.8 but was beaten to it or else I would now be writing this on a nikon website.I can never understand people buying fantastic cameras and then only being able to afford inferior lenses.

This was the big thing for me, I had to line up the total cost of decent glass before making the switch. I am glad places like FM forums exist for the second hand market, got great prices on used glass that allowed it all to fit in the budget. This week marks the beginning of my trip on the darkside with a D750 :)

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 19, 2015 19:21 |  #23

Thanks for this thread, I am too being lured to the dark side, or the light, however you want to associate that.
I plan to try to sell all my gear and build up enough proceeds to purchase a D750 or D800 something in that range and a nice prime lens.
I want to start how I should have with Canon, all primes and a decent body. I have a good Canon body and good lenses, but no primes.

Reading everyones thoughts here and the bog post has helped me to not be so afraid.

So Thanks!

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

May 20, 2015 01:10 as a reply to  @ post 17367297 |  #24

Somewhat competitive? Canon has more market share than Nikon. As for the MP boasting, that's over. Even the average consumer now knows that the MP advantage isn't all it's cracked up to be. They will release maybe the best DR camera ever, later this year.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

Rai33
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 03, 2015 06:39 |  #25

I know this is an older thread though I recently sold up all my Canon pro kit (once I was confident my new gear did as good or better a job) and switched to Nikon. Just to pick up on a couple of points made...

"...it takes two hands to change the ISO instead of just one" and "...but once again, it also takes two hands to change autofocus modes and choose focus points"

A few things I did to make the switch easier....

- I set up the same single button press for on/off settings mode like Canon so that (hopefully this explains it better) instead of pressing down a setting button while spinning the control dials I can just press & release the button and spin the aperture dials to set.... then either press the button again to exit or half press the shutter to exit the setting. Feels no different to shooting my Canon gear.
- I use the joystick to move the AF point instantly (so this is a one handed operation)
- I set the movie record Fn button (the one with the red dot next to the shutter button) to change ISO settings. Again makes it a one handed operation - press Fn button, spin front dial to change to auto-iso or spin the read dial to manually set ISO.

While I shoot with the D810 I suspect all of these customizations would be possible in the D750 also.

HTH

Portfolio - Fashion/Beauty (external link)
Portfolio - Kids (external link)
Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,345 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 03, 2015 06:51 |  #26

Rai33 wrote in post #17582207 (external link)
I know this is an older thread though I recently sold up all my Canon pro kit (once I was confident my new gear did as good or better a job) and switched to Nikon. Just to pick up on a couple of points made...

"...it takes two hands to change the ISO instead of just one" and "...but once again, it also takes two hands to change autofocus modes and choose focus points"

A few things I did to make the switch easier....

- I set up the same single button press for on/off settings mode like Canon so that (hopefully this explains it better) instead of pressing down a setting button while spinning the control dials I can just press & release the button and spin the aperture dials to set.... then either press the button again to exit or half press the shutter to exit the setting. Feels no different to shooting my Canon gear.
- I use the joystick to move the AF point instantly (so this is a one handed operation)
- I set the movie record Fn button (the one with the red dot next to the shutter button) to change ISO settings. Again makes it a one handed operation - press Fn button, spin front dial to change to auto-iso or spin the read dial to manually set ISO.

While I shoot with the D810 I suspect all of these customizations would be possible in the D750 also.

HTH

Which button did you customize for this, and what function is attached? I'm sure you're going to LOVE that D810!

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

Rai33
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 03, 2015 10:14 |  #27

Yep the D810 is fantastic... I kept all my Canon Pro gear (1 series etc) "just in case" but after a month sold it all after I quickly gained confidence that it was the right move. Love the customization and ergonomics, AF accuracy and of course image quality.

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #17582218 (external link)
Which button did you customize for this, and what function is attached? I'm sure you're going to LOVE that D810!

For the 'button press only to activate' setting adjustment per they way its done on Canon bodies (instead of press-while changing setting - hate that and will never get used to it) from the D810 manual "f:Controls" section:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Flickr (external link)

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,345 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 03, 2015 10:37 |  #28

Thats the one thing that I REALLY HATE about the D750...2 handed changes Especially the auto focus setting change. That one REALLY drives me nuts!

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

Rai33
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by Rai33.

Jun 03, 2015 10:41 as a reply to  @ ptcanon3ti's post |  #29

Can't you just use the multiselector to move the AF point around (that's how it is on the 810)? I just half-press the shutter to start metering and then the multiselector can be used to move the AF point - I'm sure that's how it is by default.

Flickr (external link)

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jun 03, 2015 10:53 |  #30

Rai33 wrote in post #17582481 (external link)
Can't you just use the multiselector to move the AF point around (that's how it is on the 810)? I just half-press the shutter to start metering and then the multiselector can be used to move the AF point - I'm sure that's how it is by default.

Yes you can, but I think he means changing the AF modes and the AF drive modes. Which requires you to press the AF Function button on the front left of the camera body and then use the selector wheels to switch. I'll have to look at my camera later to see if I can change that function button to a different one but something tells me I can't on the D750.

I know with the Canon 70D it was nice having a dedicated AF button that was next to the shutter so I could click it and switch AF modes in half a second based on my needs at the moment.

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

sponsored links

9,277 views & 3 likes for this thread
The Lure of the Dark Side: A Long Time Canon's User's Switch to Nikon D750
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.