Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Aug 2014 (Friday) 15:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama Rovelight RL 600, thoughts?

keano12
125 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jun 04, 2015 11:46 as a reply to  @ post 17582979 |  #571

That's the good thing about the RL it has 600+ watts over the Indra where I am getting one for power when needed and cheap back up. But with my set up (I'm lazy I like one controller). Plus I have had great results with them.

sponsored links
e ­ r ­ y ­ k
Goldmember
2,055 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 04, 2015 14:27 as a reply to  @ post 17582967 |  #572

Same thing happened to mine, except I got to use it twice. Then it wouldn't power on and kept blowing fuses. Returned it last week.

Just got in contact w/ Adorama and they said new units wouldn't ship out until late July. Shoulda jumped on the elinchrom sales they had last week... 50% off a lot of things :( Too late now.

Canon EOS 5Dmk3 //

RedCatPhoto
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 04, 2015 14:39 |  #573

Just got my hand on a Jinbei 600II, pretty handy stuff!

First test shot in the backyard.

5D3
135L
f/2
1/8000
ISO 100

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/485/18278477809_42ba63c0bf_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/tRcY​D8  (external link) Eve (external link) by JMB - www.bruchezphoto.com (external link), on Flickr

JM - facebook (external link) - website (external link) - gear list

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,283 posts
Gallery: 1696 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 04, 2015 15:16 |  #574

e r y k wrote in post #17584192 (external link)
Same thing happened to mine, except I got to use it twice. Then it wouldn't power on and kept blowing fuses. Returned it last week.

Just got in contact w/ Adorama and they said new units wouldn't ship out until late July. Shoulda jumped on the elinchrom sales they had last week... 50% off a lot of things :( Too late now.

YUCK that is not a good thing. I don't want to wait 2 months. Ugh. I guess I'll find out in the next few days after they get my unit. I just sent it back today. I don't want to change up to a different mount other than Bowens, but if it comes down to it, I might have to or just figure out a different solution.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

PECE ­ Photo
101 posts
Joined May 2015

Jun 05, 2015 20:23 |  #575

MalVeauX wrote in post #17584256 (external link)
YUCK that is not a good thing. I don't want to wait 2 months. Ugh. I guess I'll find out in the next few days after they get my unit. I just sent it back today. I don't want to change up to a different mount other than Bowens, but if it comes down to it, I might have to or just figure out a different solution.

Very best,

Two months! Wow, I can't believe that. They found a niche I'll give em that. I know I bought mine only about a week after hearing about it, after saving pennies for an Einsten and then I moved to wanting a Profoto B1. Saw the Rovelight and didn't hesitate. The warranty is 1 year. I have got my fingers crossed it will hold up for me at least that long, then reduced prices on Profotos? we'll see.

One Light Real Estate Photography Course: http://www.pecephoto.c​om/one-light-tutorial/ (external link)

Latebraking
44 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2014

Jun 06, 2015 01:06 |  #576

I went on Adorama's site tonight to research lighting options after spending some time in here. Looks like there RLs and pretty much all of the Flashpoint gear is on backorder.

1DX MKII, 7DMKII gripped, 16-35 f2.8L ISII, 24-70 f2.8L ISII, 70-200 f2.8L ISII, 2x extender, 50mm f1.8, 100-400 f3.5-5.6 ISII (2) 600 EX-RTs, ST-E3-RT

MalVeauX
13,283 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 06, 2015 09:16 |  #577

Latebraking wrote in post #17586038 (external link)
I went on Adorama's site tonight to research lighting options after spending some time in here. Looks like there RLs and pretty much all of the Flashpoint gear is on backorder.

I'm going to be rather irritated to find out it could have been fixed with a battery swap. :(

Very best,

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 06, 2015 09:22 |  #578

Latebraking wrote in post #17586038 (external link)

They've been 20% off for a bit, so I'm not surprised that they ran low on stock. Kind of surprised that even the batteries are on back order, and that leaves me wondering if they just ran out of stock on it all, or if there is some quiet pseudo-recall due to an exceptionally bad quality control issue.

I got mine last week, and have been happy with the few tests I've done. I've seen a few people commenting on the controller power buttons being a little unreliable, but so far mine have been giving me one step for each push of the button. We'll see how well things work in the future, and I'm expecting that I'll be adding more of them to the collection by next year, probably a another two for sports work. (So many horribly lit arenas in my area. But really looking forward to next week for an informal roller derby event to test lighting styles out in.)

But I was really surprised at how loose the reflector was. Not something that will come off, but flops around rattling like mad and can shift alignment a few degrees. Is that actually just how loose a normal Bowens mount is, or is the Rovelight a really poor implementation of the standard? I've read descriptions that said it wasn't a snug fit, and that it rattled around a good bit, but this is way more than I expected.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

MalVeauX
13,283 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 06, 2015 09:30 |  #579

Luckless wrote in post #17586320 (external link)
But I was really surprised at how loose the reflector was. Not something that will come off, but flops around rattling like mad and can shift alignment a few degrees. Is that actually just how loose a normal Bowens mount is, or is the Rovelight a really poor implementation of the standard? I've read descriptions that said it wasn't a snug fit, and that it rattled around a good bit, but this is way more than I expected.

Heya,

My controller functioned decently after I reset it too.

My Bowens mount was also loose. The reflector wiggled quite a bit. It was not coming off, mind, locked on. But it was kind of disheartening to see such a wiggle. Makes me wonder how it will behave with heavier, larger modifiers.

Very best,

danb708
105 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 06, 2015 11:46 as a reply to  @ Luckless's post |  #580

Im using a PCB 47" Octa on mine and its snug, so im guessing that the RL reflector is manufactured with a looser tolerance. Any one else care to weigh in on their experiences?

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 06, 2015 12:35 |  #581

Mostly I'm kind of wondering how the Bowens socket is in general, as in on average does a good quality modifier of that connection type normally fit firmly into a light (Rovelight or a higher quality brand)? Is the Rovelight socket a poor implementation of the Bowens socket standard, or is the reflector that is sold with the Rovelight a really poor implementation of it?

I haven't had the time to poke around at it, but I'm guessing the reflector should prove easy to modify slightly for a better fit.

I still need to decide on what modifiers I want to start collecting to go with the lights. Might start with a 7' silver parabolic umbrella and maybe a tighter long throw modifier to play with.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500

jmaher
571 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 06, 2015 14:30 as a reply to  @ Luckless's post |  #582

I recently purchased the Bowens mount and yes it seems really loose on two of my modifiers, but it doesn't seem in any danger of being able to fall off. However I have another Bowens modifier that will not fit on at all. I remember that someone posted about how to fix that but I can not locate the reference.
Jim

elv
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 06, 2015 15:25 |  #583

Luckless wrote in post #17586320 (external link)
or if there is some quiet pseudo-recall due to an exceptionally bad quality control issue.

There is no conspiracy, the Bowens mount Rovelights have been selling very well, and Adorama have been waiting on new stock for a while now. Unfortunately it sounds like they have run out of current stock in the mean time.

They order quite a large quantity at a time, so once the next batch are in there should be plenty of stock for a while at least. Though pre-orders would off course get first priority.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

MalVeauX
13,283 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 06, 2015 15:27 |  #584

elv wrote in post #17586597 (external link)
There is no conspiracy, the Bowens mount Rovelights have been selling very well, and Adorama have been waiting on new stock for a while now. Unfortunately it sounds like they have run out of current stock in the mean time.

They order quite a large quantity at a time, so once the next batch are in there should be plenty of stock for a while at least. Though pre-orders would off course get first priority.

I hope they get more in stock soon then.

I had to send mine back, it was faulty. And the tech on the phone mentioned... oh... the B version? Made me cringe. Mentioning it was low on stock (as in, not in stock...).

I'd really love to not wait until deep summer to get a working light that I just had in my hands... sigh.

Very best,

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 06, 2015 16:45 |  #585

elv wrote in post #17586597 (external link)

Well I don't really consider halting sales of an item while a solution to a problem is worked out to be a conspiracy, that is just good market practice. I've seen what looks like an uptick in reports on different forums of rapidly dying units from the last few months, and it looked like the whole stock, spare batteries included, were all pulled at the same time.

One update that I would absolutely love to see in a redesign of the unit would be a through-centre large bore umbrella mount. Would be a lot of redesign work and effectively a whole new unit for the most part, but I really don't know why that wasn't a design goal in the first place rather than an off-axis shaft holder.

Still working on what modifiers to get. Really should put an order in this evening or tomorrow if I want anything to play with by next weekend. I've been finding a lot of conflicting entries online about whether the umbrella shaft holder is actually a 7 or 8mm (and further fun with reports of some of the large 7' parabolic reflectors actually having an 8.5mm instead of an 8mm shaft...) But the fitting looks like it should be easy enough to hack up a replacement on short notice anyway.

sponsored links

440,582 views & 481 likes for this thread
Adorama Rovelight RL 600, thoughts?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.