Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 26 May 2015 (Tuesday) 14:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pole Dancing ... Advice? Experience?

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,458 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 27, 2015 17:10 |  #16

gonzogolf wrote in post #17573115 (external link)
Ive shot dancers on the pole for a club. To be honest its a challenge. Unless you can get some distance away and use a long lens its nearly impossible to avoid the ceiling or floor.

I will try to miss the ceiling or floor, but I'm hoping that if the background can be lightened, darkened or modified some in PP, maybe I can clone it out into the rest of the frame.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links
mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,458 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 27, 2015 17:12 |  #17

base_nine wrote in post #17573177 (external link)
In general, I have found that the people who what photographs to post on social media are far less critical than the photographers themselves. You are doing the right thing by using this as practice for yourself. I suspect that if you are happy with the technical aspect - eg lighting, composition etc, then they will be as well. As long as you get the poses that they want. To that end, my recommendation is to try out different things. If time allows, move the lights around for different effects. You are obviously going to try different camera angles - maybe have a step-stool.
You don't say if you are getting paid to take the photos. If not, I think the mood is going to be a lot more relaxed with less pressure on you to get the "ultimate" photo.

No pay.

just an experimental practice session.

We hope to get some good photos though

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,458 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 27, 2015 17:41 |  #18

BlakeC wrote in post #17573120 (external link)
Am I the only one who came here hoping to see photos? :)

We've got to start with a wooden pole first then ...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

May 27, 2015 18:09 as a reply to  @ mdvaden's post |  #19

not state the obvious, but have you googled "pole dancing images" for inspiration regarding poses? Some shots will be posed, I assume, even if the pose is only held for 1/200th of a second. You might try to set your camera on as many frames per second as it can shoot, with ai servo focus and see what happens. I don't know why I'm so intrigued by this, I guess it's because it's nothing I ever thought of photographing, but I can see where it could be interesting to try and capture the movement etc. s.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,157 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 6 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

May 27, 2015 18:18 |  #20

OK on a more on topic note for the original question, I used to shoot a lot of dance. Not specifically always pole dancing, but dance in most forms is a lot of movement by definition, and often fast and unpredictable.

In my case I did never had the option of posing, or second tries. But just like with wildlife or sports, one learns to anticipate, predict and time shots with the beat, or pause. Without exception, from modern, Ballet whatever, I never saw a dance that did not involve the "moment" where the dancer completes a move and holds it for the audience. typically these "moments" are also the most photogenic. A split second during an energetic move could result in a terrible unflattering "muscle builder" facial expression, but the "moments' are always sublime and the chance the dancer has to make it look to everyone watching like it is "effortless"

with Pole dancing, these moments will be even more obvious, as for the pole dancing audience the performer is working to illicit feedback, and will in fact invite it with a pause and look.

Catch those moments.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,262 posts
Gallery: 293 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

May 27, 2015 18:41 |  #21

Even when they pause and look there is more muscle tension in the face than you might think. What seems like a come hither look in a club, can be interpreted diffeently when frozen and captured much closer than the seats in a club.

FPP
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2009

May 27, 2015 20:33 |  #22

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17573772 (external link)
with Pole dancing, these moments will be even more obvious, as for the pole dancing audience the performer is working to illicit feedback, and will in fact invite it with a pause and look.

I hope you mean "elicit" :).

7D Mark II, 50D, 17-55 2.8 IS, 100-400L IS, 10-22, Sigma 150-600 C, Sigma 150 2.8 Macro, EF-S 60MM f2.8 Macro, EF-S 18-55 IS, 28-135 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS STM, 580 EX II, Yongnuo YN-24EX, JasonC007 Diffuser Kit, Gitzo GT2531EX, ARCA-SWISS Z1, RRS B2 AS II clamp, Kirk L-bracket for 7DII, Kirk L-bracket for 50D

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 6 years ago by nathancarter. (2 edits in all)

May 28, 2015 09:02 |  #23

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17573772 (external link)
In my case I did never had the option of posing, or second tries. But just like with wildlife or sports, one learns to anticipate, predict and time shots with the beat, or pause. Without exception, from modern, Ballet whatever, I never saw a dance that did not involve the "moment" where the dancer completes a move and holds it for the audience. typically these "moments" are also the most photogenic. A split second during an energetic move could result in a terrible unflattering "muscle builder" facial expression, but the "moments' are always sublime and the chance the dancer has to make it look to everyone watching like it is "effortless"

This is great advice. The skill of anticipating and predicting comes with experience, just like most other facets of the craft.

This session will be a good time to practice - after you've got your posed shots in the can, have one of the dancers run through a full routine, and see if you can anticipate and time your shots to get something good.

gonzogolf wrote in post #17573795 (external link)
Even when they pause and look there is more muscle tension in the face than you might think. What seems like a come hither look in a club, can be interpreted diffeently when frozen and captured much closer than the seats in a club.

True, often. Not every one is going to be a keeper, even if you nail the timing perfectly for the body, there might be a funny or unflattering face going on. This varies really, really widely by performer - some will have a perfect face no matter where they are in the routine, and some will look gorgeous on stage but just silly and goofy in every still frame.

So, you shoot a lot, and throw out the ones that are unflattering to the performer.

Generally speaking: The better, more skilled, more experienced performers will be able to control their face as well as their body. But there are plenty of exceptions to this.

FPP wrote in post #17573924 (external link)

I... I think maybe both forms work in this thread? ;)

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 28, 2015 17:37 |  #24

FPP wrote in post #17573924 (external link)

Jake's typing skills are (in)famous. If you read one of his posts without at least one apparent spelling error, his daughter typed it! :{)#

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,458 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 28, 2015 21:33 |  #25

Appreciate the feedback so far. Reading every reply.

Also been googling similar images, and asked the "models" to search online too to get an idea of the variety.

I'm driving out tonight, but have at least a couple days until we try this. So any extra ideas will be read as I tap into WiFi sometime tomorrow.

Someone's wife up in Portland inquired about this type of shoot too, like later this year, so I will follow this thread as long as the discusssion continues.

Cheers,
MDV

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,157 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 28, 2015 22:23 |  #26

Jon wrote in post #17575156 (external link)
Jake's typing skills are (in)famous. ....:{)#

So are my Pole dancing skills.

just saying...

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,458 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 02, 2015 02:32 |  #27

This ended up being a fun shoot ... but it was even more difficult than expected. For me, and for the dancers. The space was slightly smaller than anticipated and slowing down motion and poses was a substantial workout. The dancers traded-off every few minutes.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,458 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 6 years ago by mdvaden. (3 edits in all)

Jun 02, 2015 04:50 |  #28

Front to back, an 85mm was too long, so I went with a 24-70mm

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 04, 2015 08:19 |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

Found this video
NSFW: You have been warned
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=1D5HBBIJ0Uo (external link)

PKIDelirium
35 posts
Joined May 2013

Jun 05, 2015 03:25 |  #30

gonzogolf wrote in post #17573795 (external link)

While the dancing I've shot is different (although one show had a brief pole scene), the facial expressions can certainly turn out strange. I've taken shots before that I thought were going to turn out great with perfect timing on the "pose" that ended up unused just because of wacky looks

60D, Kiss Digital N/350D, 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, 50 1.8 II, Tamron 10-24, 75-300 III
Film: AE-1 with FD 50 1.8 S.C. and FD 135 3.5. EOS Rebel T2/300X with 28-90 III
[URL="http://flickr.co​m/donaldflint"][URL="h​ttp://flickr.com/donal​dflint"]Flickr

sponsored links

6,504 views & 5 likes for this thread
Pole Dancing ... Advice? Experience?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.