Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 09 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 05:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any views on a new 6D?

nighthawk82
138 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by nighthawk82.

Jun 03, 2015 15:17 as a reply to  @ post 17582768 |  #136

Just because your professional usage of a camera doesn't need a swivel screen does not mean that someone elses professional usage doesn't need it either. You might make your money plonking your camera on a tripod and snapping away at your own pace, while others (such as photojournalists...) might need to grab the moment, at the right time, in the right place, with zero time to set up tripods, lighting setups and tethers. Sometimes they need to get above the mass of other photojournalists in front of them... swivel screen to rescue. There are MANY other types of photography (street photography...) that can make heavy use of a swivel screen. Just because you don't need it doesn't mean everyone else doesn't.

If I were the top National Geographic professional photographer I wouldn't need 65 cross type AF points. A single one would be enough for me to earn my bread and butter for the rest of my life. Does this mean that the next 5D should only have one focus point, and any more than that is adding unnecessary and useless complexities to the camera, increasing its cost unnecessarily? Actually, we could do away with AF altogether, because if I had that position I would probably be using Manual Focus. That would be very egoistic thinking...

Dennis
Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM | Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Tamron SP 15-30 f/2.8 Di VC USD

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,858 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 03, 2015 15:20 |  #137

BlakeC wrote in post #17582777 (external link)
Yet having a swivel screen would still allow you to work the same way.

did i ever tell you the story about how one of my electric car windows won't roll down?

:p

i just don't want the body to get bigger. back when this line of discussion first got started, i mentioned that a swivel screen would make the body bigger, this is especially so on a FF body that has a bigger mirror assembly. I like the small size of the 6D and don't want to give it up. I also suspect that an articulated screen would generally be a bit smaller than it's fixed counterpart.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
9,858 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jun 03, 2015 15:24 |  #138

nighthawk82 wrote in post #17582803 (external link)
Just because your professional usage of a camera doesn't need a swivel screen does not mean that someone elses professional usage doesn't need it either. You might make your money plonking your camera on a tripod and snapping away at your own pace, while others (such as photojournalists...) might need to grab the moment, at the right time, in the right place, with zero time to set up tripods, lighting setups and tethers. Sometimes they need to get above the mass of other photojournalists in front of them... swivel screen to rescue. There are MANY other types of photography (street photography...) that can make heavy use of a swivel screen. Just because you don't need it doesn't mean everyone else doesn't.

If I were the top National Geographic professional photographer I wouldn't need 65 cross type AF points. A single one would be enough for me to earn my bread and butter for the rest of my life. Does this mean that the next 5D should only have one focus point, and any more than that is adding unnecessary and useless complexities to the camera, increasing its cost unnecessarily? Actually, we could do away with AF altogether, because if I had that position I would probably be using Manual Focus. That would be very egoistic thinking...

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17579503 (external link)
i never said an articulating screen was pointless. Everyone has their own needs and styles, i just don't want to give up small size for a feature I would very rarely use and whose usefulness is largely supplied by wifi.

maybe i'm just so skilled i just don't need an articulating screen? :P

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

benji25
Goldmember
1,035 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 03, 2015 15:32 |  #139

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17582807 (external link)
did i ever tell you the story about how one of my electric car windows won't roll down?

i just don't want the body to get bigger. back when this line of discussion first got started, i mentioned that a swivel screen would make the body bigger, this is especially so on a FF body that has a bigger mirror assembly. I like the small size of the 6D and don't want to give it up. I also suspect that an articulated screen would generally be a bit smaller than it's fixed counterpart.

I mean it can fit on a small body of a rebel. I am willing to bet they can work it in to a FF without making it bigger.

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,435 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 03, 2015 17:08 |  #140

So called pros care for smaller/lighter body?

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
9,858 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 04, 2015 00:02 |  #141

benji25 wrote in post #17582822 (external link)
I mean it can fit on a small body of a rebel. I am willing to bet they can work it in to a FF without making it bigger.

SL1 is smaller than it's other entry level brethren, and delivers every bit to the IQ of its "fast focusing" homies.

bobbyz wrote in post #17582974 (external link)
So called pros care for smaller/lighter body?

maybe?

nighthawk82
138 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by nighthawk82.

Jun 04, 2015 01:42 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #142

So, the pros are perfectly fine carting around 30kg+ of gear, flashes, monster lenses and heavy tripods for stability, attaching monster battery grips and 2 extra batteries to their camera, yet 15g of hinge and a millimeter or 2 of extra thickness on the camera body is too much? I think this discussion is getting slightly ridiculous.

The simple truth is that there is no STRONG argument as to why a pro camera (or the next 6D2, which is not strictly aimed at pros) should NOT have a swivel screen. Lots of hearsay, rumours and scaremongering and resistance to change, none of which have any valid backing (find me one case of the swivel screen being the weak point that caused a failure, or a camera that suffered weather damage due to the swivel screen hinge...). The only moderately valid argument against the swivel screen is the loss of button space on the side where the hinge is, but if you compare the back of a 5DIII and the back of a 70D, only the picture style button is missing from the 70D, something which pros don't really care much about (it is more relevant to JPEG shooting...). As technology progresses even this is being overcome (ex. the touch screen on the 70D offers incredibly quick access to certain settings which are otherwise buried in layers of menus, including the picture style).

People have their own opinions as to whether they like it or not, whether they need it or not, and whether they will ever use it or not, but saying having a swivel screen is a deal-breaker is a bit of resistance-to-change-extremism, especially considering the impact on those that do not need/want it is tiny, since the screen can be laid flat like a fixed screen and left like that forever.

Just another little example... I NEVER EVER geotag my images, I don't care about the GPS feature in cameras. I will never use or need it, it drains battery like crazy and I just have no use for it. It's an extra thing to pay for and an extra thing to go wrong, apart from affecting battery life. But it will not stop me from buying a great camera that has it. If they 70D had it I would still have bought it. I will just turn it off and forget it's there and let everyone who loves it use it to their hearts content. That's the way a great camera is made. Being versatile enough to satisfy the needs of many different types of photographers.

Dennis
Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM | Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Tamron SP 15-30 f/2.8 Di VC USD

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 04, 2015 03:50 |  #143

This image would have been impossible without an articulating screen and live view

The camera was way over my head, with me focusing and shooting using live view and a tilted-down screen.

If I had place the camera at eye level, I would have had a brick wall, lots of vegetation and several other people in the way.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,837 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jun 04, 2015 04:34 |  #144

I do like the tilt screen on my 70D. I used it a fair amount when that was my main camera, in live view, of course.

I thought I'd really miss the touch screen but I got used to the way the 7D2 works right away. It really has more to do with getting comfortable with any camera body when it comes to things like that. In other words, I don't miss the touch screen at all.

I think we can be certain about one thing: Canon will never release a camera body in two versions, one with a tilt screen and one without. Camera models will either have one or they won't. I realize this is a bit emphatic, perhaps too much so, but it doesn't make much sense to offer tilt screen or not from a manufacturing perspective.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

MedicinSC
Goldmember
1,373 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 04, 2015 06:21 |  #145

I, as a personal preference, do not like the button layout on the cameras with the articulating screens.

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Jun 05, 2015 12:01 |  #146

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17582807 (external link)

Did I ever tell you the story about how one of my manual car windows wouldn't roll down? True story. It was a Civic, too.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Jun 05, 2015 12:24 |  #147

nighthawk82 wrote in post #17583489 (external link)
So, the pros are perfectly fine carting around 30kg+ of gear, flashes, monster lenses and heavy tripods for stability, attaching monster battery grips and 2 extra batteries to their camera, yet 15g of hinge and a millimeter or 2 of extra thickness on the camera body is too much? I think this discussion is getting slightly ridiculous.

The simple truth is that there is no STRONG argument as to why a pro camera (or the next 6D2, which is not strictly aimed at pros) should NOT have a swivel screen. Lots of hearsay, rumours and scaremongering and resistance to change, none of which have any valid backing (find me one case of the swivel screen being the weak point that caused a failure, or a camera that suffered weather damage due to the swivel screen hinge...). The only moderately valid argument against the swivel screen is the loss of button space on the side where the hinge is, but if you compare the back of a 5DIII and the back of a 70D, only the picture style button is missing from the 70D, something which pros don't really care much about (it is more relevant to JPEG shooting...). As technology progresses even this is being overcome (ex. the touch screen on the 70D offers incredibly quick access to certain settings which are otherwise buried in layers of menus, including the picture style).

People have their own opinions as to whether they like it or not, whether they need it or not, and whether they will ever use it or not, but saying having a swivel screen is a deal-breaker is a bit of resistance-to-change-extremism, especially considering the impact on those that do not need/want it is tiny, since the screen can be laid flat like a fixed screen and left like that forever.

Just another little example... I NEVER EVER geotag my images, I don't care about the GPS feature in cameras. I will never use or need it, it drains battery like crazy and I just have no use for it. It's an extra thing to pay for and an extra thing to go wrong, apart from affecting battery life. But it will not stop me from buying a great camera that has it. If they 70D had it I would still have bought it. I will just turn it off and forget it's there and let everyone who loves it use it to their hearts content. That's the way a great camera is made. Being versatile enough to satisfy the needs of many different types of photographers.

Everyone has just one or two new features they want in a camera (or anything, really). Each, individually, is just a small thing... but if you add them all, there are compromises that have to be made. Built-in flash, GPS, NFC, WiFi, SIM slot, swivel screen, and others I can't think of. No camera has to be all things to all people, and definitely not all cameras have to be all things to all people. There are swivel-screen cameras you can buy. It wouldn't surprise me if the rumored 5D4c has a swivel screen, for example, but I doubt a smaller 6D2 would (as the SL1 doesn't - eliminating it makes the body smaller). If that's a deal-breaker for you, that's fine... but Canon doesn't have to build the 6D2 as you want it. I can't stand holding the camera away from my face; my hands are way too jittery for that. I hope they keep making cameras without it, but if they make some with, I don't have to buy those ones...

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

kryptic4l
53 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 06, 2015 01:33 |  #148

kinda digging this whole iphone ipad wifi screen. ill put my camera on a big stick now. to be honest though, I think a swivel screen is half doing it. I would like to see a removable screen. Or just a better wifi set up seems a touch clunky to me right now.

susitna
86 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 02, 2015 22:33 |  #149

nighthawk82 wrote in post #17583489 (external link)
.... Just another little example... I NEVER EVER geotag my images, I don't care about the GPS feature in cameras. I will never use or need it, it drains battery like crazy and I just have no use for it. It's an extra thing to pay for and an extra thing to go wrong, apart from affecting battery life. But it will not stop me from buying a great camera that has it. If they 70D had it I would still have bought it. I will just turn it off and forget it's there and let everyone who loves it use it to their hearts content. That's the way a great camera is made. Being versatile enough to satisfy the needs of many different types of photographers.

I used the GPS on a recent trip to Peru & never once had to change the battery during the day. Sometimes I disabled it (if I knew I wouldn't take a shot for a while) & other times I let it run if I was shooting constantly or needed a shot where I didn't have time to wait for the signal to be received after turning it on.

dankin
495 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 04, 2015 00:16 |  #150

For me -

1 - Dynamic Range increase...please canon!

2 - Tilit Screen would be great.

3 - I like the simplicity of the autofocus, but more cross-points would be nice.

EOS R, 6d, 16-35 F4 IS, RF 24-105, 70-200 F4 IS

sponsored links

32,532 views & 18 likes for this thread
Any views on a new 6D?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.