Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 16 Jan 2015 (Friday) 17:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Pixma Pro1 vs Epson 3880 Stylus Pro?

Van ­ Gogh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jun 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by Van Gogh. (2 edits in all)

Jan 23, 2015 21:13 |  #61

So there is no more no way back.:-D
Went today and bought the Epson 3880 as well as Spyder4 Pro.

Excited but also frustrated, too much new info !
Step by step, my first step was the Spyder4 Pro calibration.

1 simple question.
How do I know what brightness to set on my monitor?
I saw a video on youtube where there is a point when I have to change myself the screen brightness and click update my measurement until Spyder says that it falls under the ideal cd/m2 measurement (100-110).
The problem with my calibration process is that I never get that message, so I have no idea how good my brightness is ...

P.S. To see what I am talking about you gusy can go to minute 4:00 in this video.
I never get that message.
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=4zQQpJ3zwBQ (external link)

P.S.2 I remember when I did my 1st calibration I went through a process of selecting my displays color gamut as well as backlight type. I selected "unknown" for both. Could that be the reason?
Whenever I try to re-calibrate my display (even full-re calibration) I never get that message again to select my color gamut of display lighting type.

Camera - 2x5Dmk3, C100 mkii, 70D, 60D
Lenses - 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS ii, 85mm f1.2L II, 35mm f1.4 ART, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS
Lighting - 3 x 600EX RT's, Printer - Epson 3880

sponsored links
NatDeroxL7
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 23, 2015 22:35 |  #62

I can't say I remember how to do a total reset, but when you do, you will want to find out your screen data. Chances are it's a white backlit LCD/LED with a normal gamut. Most modern consumer screens are. A quick Google should confirm it.

It ought to work then.

On a side note, if you get really good at translating your histogram to the print in regards to the brightness, you will not need to be so precise on monitor brightness, you'll just know what the printed image will look like based on the histogram data, and can go off that instead of how the image "looks". Learning how the histogram translates into prints will help place the zones of tonality where you want them, if you are into the zone thing.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/52047419@N04/ (external link)
http://mpdphotography.​wordpress.com/ (external link)

Van ­ Gogh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Joined Jun 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by Van Gogh. (4 edits in all)

Jan 23, 2015 22:46 |  #63

NatDeroxL7 wrote in post #17397213 (external link)
I can't say I remember how to do a total reset, but when you do, you will want to find out your screen data. Chances are it's a white backlit LCD/LED with a normal gamut. Most modern consumer screens are. A quick Google should confirm it.

It ought to work then.

On a side note, if you get really good at translating your histogram to the print in regards to the brightness, you will not need to be so precise on monitor brightness, you'll just know what the printed image will look like based on the histogram data, and can go off that instead of how the image "looks". Learning how the histogram translates into prints will help place the zones of tonality where you want them, if you are into the zone thing.

Ok I think I found where to do a total re-calibration.
Yep it all works now.

My ambient is measured as moderately low and based on that my settings are to be 5800K for WB and 120 cd/m2 for brightness.
As far as brightness I had to put my monitor brightness at 46% to achieve that brightness level for my ambient, before it was at 55%. I think 46% is actually better !
As far as White Balance, I know that most people say that 6500K is the best temperature for photo editing, but according to Spyders ambient measurement I should use 5800K.
Should I follow SPyder's suggestion for White Balance or just use 6500K?

As far as colors they are radically different from what I had before. Now my screen looks much warmer, before there was too much blue !

Lenses - 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS ii, 85mm f1.2L II, 35mm f1.4 ART, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS

sssc
567 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 25, 2015 10:37 |  #64

http://www.damiensymon​ds.com.au/cal_S4E_pc.h​tml (external link)

Keith-EOS R 7D MarkII EOS REBEL T2i 18-55,55-250.85 1/8. 100-400L. 10-22 f/3.5-4.5. 24-105mm f/4L IS,70-200 II,RF 24-105

Van ­ Gogh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jan 25, 2015 16:45 |  #65

Very nice link, exactly what I was looking for, thanks ! :-)

BTW guys I just made my 1st print yesterday, breathtaking holding my print in my hand, beautiful :-D

I am a little bit lost along all the printing options/settings under "Print" in Photoshop, does any one of you guys know of a good video that will help me get started in understanding what settings to use for printing?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,555 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jan 26, 2015 00:58 |  #66

so, i had a semi coherent and useful post typed out and the forum ate it.

my point was that you started out wanting a fun learning experience, but now you're looking for quick answers. I promise you will learn more from failure than you will from taking someone else's advice. That's not to say you shouldn't want to learn from others, this place is an immense bathtub of knowledge. It just bothers me that i see people with the relevant tools in hand asking "what's next?". Sure, if you don't have the tools asking for advice is the logical next step, but you have them. Use them. You will learn more from your failures than you will from someone else's success.

fail. try something new. then come back and ask for advice. so here's your video, take the long cut. https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=G5hlg1zF7s8 (external link)

if that's not enough try these: http://blog.ted.com …ut-learning-from-failure/ (external link)

mr savory (not in the links at the bottom) is one of my personal favorites.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Van ­ Gogh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jan 26, 2015 06:35 |  #67

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17400490 (external link)
so, i had a semi coherent and useful post typed out and the forum ate it.

my point was that you started out wanting a fun learning experience, but now you're looking for quick answers. I promise you will learn more from failure than you will from taking someone else's advice. That's not to say you shouldn't want to learn from others, this place is an immense bathtub of knowledge. It just bothers me that i see people with the relevant tools in hand asking "what's next?". Sure, if you don't have the tools asking for advice is the logical next step, but you have them. Use them. You will learn more from your failures than you will from someone else's success.

fail. try something new. then come back and ask for advice. so here's your video, take the long cut. https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=G5hlg1zF7s8 (external link)

if that's not enough try these: http://blog.ted.com …ut-learning-from-failure/ (external link)

mr savory (not in the links at the bottom) is one of my personal favorites.

Got you :-)
I am just a little impatient to produce good prints but of course I know that's not how it works  :p

I m going to take an on-line course on Lynda.com about inject printing that should be a good foundation for my printing.:-)

Pro ­ Wanna ­ Be
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 06, 2015 13:23 as a reply to  @ Van Gogh's post |  #68

Well, I'm six months late to this thread but, as the Epson P800 is replacing the 3880, I thought I'd comment. See my name? (Pro Wanna Be). That should be read as money matters. I hate to rain on everyone's parade but, your choice of printer will come done to one thing, volume. You can want the best color gamut, 44" prints and ten foot panoramas but, if you don't use the printer for the intended volume, you'll have problems. If you've read any reviews on the Epson 4900, then you know that people are screaming about clogs. And interestingly, there appears to be less complaints about the Epson 7900 and 9900. Why's that? Because the 4900 is being bought by prosumers who aren't fully aware of the consequences of buying a high volume pigment ink printer. Pigment is insoluble and microencapsulation has its limits. Both Canon and Epson suggest six months for open cartridges. Can that be stretched to a year? Probably but, that's the outside limit. So a 4900 has 11 200ml cartridges. Throw out one and you have 2000 ml and at ballpark 1 ml per 8x10 that a lot of printing for the average prosumer. So if money doesn't matter, buy an 4900 and when it crashs in three months because you didn't use it, it won't matter.

N2bnfunn
688 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 06, 2015 18:55 |  #69

You have to go with the Canon Pro-1 that is the one I have and I love it, beside the expensive ink LOL

Canon 1DX Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 EF 50mm 1.2 L 24-105 4.0 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

myphotographic
218 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 07, 2015 08:01 |  #70

Get an Epson if you want borderless prints on heavy papers. Get a Canon if you don't want to waste ink and money every time you switch between matt and photo black inks. Everything else seems to come down to personal preferences and divergent experiences.

Paul

buggz
783 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by buggz.

Jun 07, 2015 21:00 |  #71

While I love my Pro 9000 II, I will NEVER buy another Canon printer due to the lame driver forcing huge borders on art papers.

5DMkII, 40D w/ grip, lenses, flashes, more stuff.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,243 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jun 07, 2015 21:17 |  #72

The border issue on Canon is a real pain. I do want borders on my art prints but a forced 3cm border on A4 paper is just way too much. The prints are really lovely though.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links

20,793 views & 5 likes for this thread
Canon Pixma Pro1 vs Epson 3880 Stylus Pro?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.