Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 07 Jun 2015 (Sunday) 11:03
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Do You Get a Meal at the Wedding Job?"
Do you get a meal on your weddding job?
90.9%
Do you bring your own meal?
2.3%
Is the option of a meal in your contract?
6.8%

44 voters, 44 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does Wedding Photographer Get A Meal?

tim
Light Bringer
50,973 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 07, 2015 16:58 |  #31

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #17587748 (external link)
Not people literally eating, the laughing, the banter, the smiles, the toasts, some of the best pics from my wedding were of people laughing during the meal. Maybe it's a UK thing buit I've never heard of photographers joining in with the meal? Isn't it like the vicar taking a break mid service for a sandwich?

Over here there tends to be three courses, often with speeches, toasts, etc around that time. Part of that is the main course, which is usually at least an hour. Once the guests have all been through the buffet or all been served most of them are just sitting there eating, that's when I eat.

The vicar isn't on their feet constantly moving for 10 hours, a better analogy would be to intermission at a cinema.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links
elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 07, 2015 17:10 |  #32

I don't photograph people eating. It's never flattering, I don't care who you are. When the guests eat, that's when I eat and take a break.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,973 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 07, 2015 17:21 |  #33

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #17587835 (external link)
Other than paying for a photographer to take photo's of my wedding day, no, I have no experience whatsoever, and I can tell you now, him and his wife didn't stop all day, they were superb, top kit top people with great ideas, exactly what I was paying for. But then I did track down and pay for a good one, I suppose if I was paying peanuts for a low rent photographer, then I suppose beggars can't be choosers in that situation. I genuinely can't see how any pro photographer who cares about doing a good job would down tools during one of the main events??

As I already said there's usually an hour when people are mostly eating. I have often been sitting in the same room as the guests, camera nearby, and the number of times I see something worth getting up to photograph is very low. Given the main meal the time when the fewest photos happen, in my experience it's the best time to get something to eat. It's 10 - 15 minutes out of a 10 hour day.

When would you, with your extensive experience, suggest photographers stop to eat? Before the meal, when speeches and toasts happen? After the meal, when you often have dancing or cutting the cake? During the afternoon when the couple photos are taken?

Those of us with a decade of experience each all do much the same thing. Perhaps it's time for you to admit you know nothing about this and take a back seat in the conversation.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

jimeuph1
215 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Jun 07, 2015 17:22 |  #34

So your not a wedding photographer. Makes sense.

I have seen alot of £1500+ photographers have must provide a meal in the contract.

Providing a break time is UK law over a 4 hour shift. As a self employed vendor you can choose to ignore that, but a client cannot by law insist you work without breaks.

My GF's sisters vicar was invited to the reception and provided a sit down meal. So was the photographer and his assistant.

We are doing the same at our own wedding next August, we are in the UK, it's common decency to allow people who are working very hard the chance to eat.

A happy worker is a better worker.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 07, 2015 18:06 |  #35

I always require a meal. Part of the contract. I'm only generally sitting down to eat it for 10 mins max. Sometimes I'm seated with the guests and get the same courses... other times it a service providers main meal seated elsewhere. Frankly I don't care as long as I'm fed.

I shoot all through the meals. It isn't difficult to stay ahead of service or shoot the tables who have finished. There are always candids to be had. You don't shoot people eating you shoot those who haven't got their course yet or who have finished... it isn't difficult. Done it that way for years. Means I generally end up with good individual candids of every guest at the wedding.

Peter

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 07, 2015 18:10 |  #36

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #17587820 (external link)
I am genuinely hand on heart staggered that a pro wedding photographer would take a break during one of the main events? This can't be common surely??

A shame your name isn't Jon Snow... I'd have the perfect reply for you.

Peter

FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 07, 2015 18:16 |  #37

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #17587835 (external link)
Other than paying for a photographer to take photo's of my wedding day, no, I have no experience whatsoever

So perhaps you might listen to the 10 or so pros with perhaps a 100 years of experience between us who've already told you that its normal and expected to eat during a wedding for the vendors, which what the OP was asking. I dont get how you believe your point of view based on a single event should honestly be taken seriously.

elrey2375
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 07, 2015 18:50 as a reply to  @ post 17587820 |  #38

Eating the main meal is not a critical period in the goings on. If something happens you need to get a photo of, you are certainly able to do so, seeing as how most weddings are planned out down to the minute. Everyone in this thread who does this for a living has basically said the same thing. I have NEVER shot a wedding where I wasn't offered a meal. A person needs a break and you can't expect them to be literally on their feet for 10 hours straight, without eating. If you can't abide a person a 15-minute break to eat a meal and have a seat during what is a lull in the action, you're in the minority. I've never had a bride or groom want photos of people eating or photos after mealtime when there are still dirty dishes on the tables, etc.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by memoriesoftomorrow.

Jun 07, 2015 18:57 |  #39

elrey2375 wrote in post #17587966 (external link)
or photos after mealtime when there are still dirty dishes on the tables, etc.

Shoot with a longer focal length (i.e. tighter) and you don't get the dirty plates in the shots ;)

Peter

rebelsimon
Goldmember
1,136 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jun 07, 2015 19:04 as a reply to  @ post 17587835 |  #40

Yesterday I shot for 17 hours straight. That's not the norm, but 12 hours is pretty common. A hungry photographer is a s#itty photographer. If there's an important speech during dinner, I'll put my fork down and snap a few photos.

Toronto area photographer http://www.SimonMellic​kPhotography.com (external link)
Cameras:5Diii (x2), 70D
Lenses:Rokinon 14mm f2.8, Voightlander 20mm f3.5, Canon 24-70 f2.8ii, Tamron 35mm f1.8 VC, Canon 50mm STM, Tamron 90mm 2.8 VC, Canon 135mm f2
Lights: AD600, AD200 (x2), V850 (x4)

elrey2375
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 07, 2015 19:23 as a reply to  @ memoriesoftomorrow's post |  #41

I don't need pointers on how to shoot, but thanks. Perhaps it's different on your side of the world, but people don't like being photographed whilst trying to enjoy a meal.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,198 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 07, 2015 19:45 |  #42

For those that expect a meal, do you lower the price correspondingly? I can easily see a break time where the photog gets lunch, dinner, or just a break but still have a hard time forcing the bride/groom to shell out a couple hundred dollars more for photographers, musicians, DJs, whatever. It's like expecting the servers to be fed.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

tim
Light Bringer
50,973 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 07, 2015 19:55 |  #43

gjl711 wrote in post #17588020 (external link)
For those that expect a meal, do you lower the price correspondingly? I can easily see a break time where the photog gets lunch, dinner, or just a break but still have a hard time forcing the bride/groom to shell out a couple hundred dollars more for photographers, musicians, DJs, whatever. It's like expecting the servers to be fed.

Yes. My price used to be $3047.26, but I estimated the average main meal (no dessert, entree, or alcohol) at 48.26 and reduced my price to $2999 accordingly... :rolleyes:

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by memoriesoftomorrow.

Jun 07, 2015 20:00 |  #44

For those that expect a meal, do you lower the price correspondingly?

No. The bride and groom feeding the likes of bands, DJs, videographers and photographers is a standard (normal) wedding expense.

If a couple wants any given service provider then the service provider sets the terms as to the contract and what is and is not to be paid for.

Peter

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,652 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Jun 07, 2015 20:50 |  #45

But they are expected to be fed. In the server's place, the venue/caterer feeds them and that is part of their built-in overhead.

Honestly, this question has never come up to me before in the real world.

Really, what's the alternative? Should I bring in a cooler with a sandwich or order Pizza or Chinese food delivered? Do you think the venue will permit outside food to be brought in? Or should I leave the venue for 30 minutes or more to go to a diner? Do you think I should have to pay the inflated venue/caterer rate for a basic meal I won't be able to fully enjoy? Or are you willing to accept less than my best work because halfway through the reception I was weak, hungry and impatient?

Ask a hundred pro wedding photographers and I bet you 99 will tell you they always get fed; it goes without question. Even better, ask 100 wedding caterers if the photographer and band gets fed and I bet you the same result. Prior to shooting weddings I worked in my parents restaurant and served, cooked or managed dozens of weddings. The photographer (and band) always gets fed.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

sponsored links

24,918 views & 75 likes for this thread
Does Wedding Photographer Get A Meal?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.