Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 07 Jun 2015 (Sunday) 11:03
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Do You Get a Meal at the Wedding Job?"
Do you get a meal on your weddding job?
90.9%
Do you bring your own meal?
2.3%
Is the option of a meal in your contract?
6.8%

44 voters, 44 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does Wedding Photographer Get A Meal?

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,447 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by welshwizard1971.

Jun 08, 2015 02:55 as a reply to  @ post 17588154 |  #76

At last, a sensible professional photographer who cares about doing a good job! I'm assuming you're very busy with work :)

EOS R 5D III, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

sponsored links
welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,447 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 08, 2015 02:58 as a reply to  @ post 17588176 |  #77

I didn't say you couldn't eat, and I suggested times, but you've proved my main point in your post, you take it in turns to take shots during that period, so there IS something to photograph during the meal, and you're being intelligent about managing your time and taking turns so nothing is missed.

EOS R 5D III, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by memoriesoftomorrow.

Jun 08, 2015 03:01 |  #78

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #17588369 (external link)
At last, a sensible professional photographer who cares about doing a good job! I'm assuming you;r every busy with work :)

The really funny thing here is that your views are completely and utterly irrelevant. They are nothing more than the ramblings of some random on the Internet who in the scheme of our world and jobs mean absolutely nothing. Our clients are our judges and juries and fortunately they are normal, reasonable, sensible, rational people.

Peter

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,447 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 08, 2015 03:03 as a reply to  @ post 17588356 |  #79

Again, to be very clear as I'm getting really bored of people not reading my posts and putting words in my mouth, I don't begrudge anyone eating food, it's the timing of that break is my issue.

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,596 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 08, 2015 03:03 |  #80

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #17588347 (external link)
If you read my posts properly you'll see I've suggested less critical times to eat.

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #17587779 (external link)
They can eat a big breakfast before the preparations ( plenty of people I know do that to see them through until late in the evening, I certainly do )a packed lunch when the meal is breaking up, that always takes 1/2 hour, setting up for the evening do take ages, they can eat again then, they can have a supper when it's finished? That's four clear periods there when they can eat and not miss out on any photos, not including god knows how many snacking opportunities. Low blood sugar? Give me a break.....

...I'm sorry, I thought this was a joke post. Were you actually being serious?

You don't think people working a full day don't have a breakfast before they go out, or occasionally have a supper? You do realize that most photographers are out shooting with the bride and groom while the venue is getting set up for the evening? That a packed lunch is great for lunch time but not so great in the evening? Your suggestions are what we do at the moment. They aren't anything different or new.

So clients should do as they're told and take a back seat to the superior photographers who know better? I'm not surprised wedding photographers have such a terrible reputation in this county for ruining weddings by bossing people around.

You won't be able to back up this assertion of course. Just another piece of zero data you've thrown around the thread.

Again, I've never said I don't expect them, to eat, it's very difficult to discuss things with people who don't bother to read your posts properly. And professional photogrpahers are agreeing with me on this thread that good shots/candids can be grabbed during this period, static happy subjects, good access, probably good lighting, and where did I suggest i wanted photo's of dirty dishes, I've said the opposite??

I can get excellently composed well exposed candid shots of you in the toilet. Give me a camera and I will always deliver good shots no matter what the situation. Dinner is a crappy time to take photos. More importantly, many guests are self concious when a big huge lens is pointed at them and they just want to enjoy their meal and forcing them to try and look dignified is just rude. But having said that, yes, my camera is always at the ready, I stay on the floor while my assistant eats then we swap over, and like the rest of the people here I'm professional enough to be able to capture interesting shots during dinner without upsetting anyone or taking unflattering shots. Because taking photos is what we do.

There is never a good time to take time out during a wedding. While the other guests are eating is simply normally the best time out of a whole lot of bad times to take time out to get off your feet.

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #17588365 (external link)
Well I have to deal with emergencies threatening people and properties, dealing with police, firemen etc, so real pressured work as opposed to the delicate flowers that wedding photographers are turning out to be, and sometimes I don't stop for 26 hours straight, as do many of my colleagues, and I've never heard any of them whining about their sugar levels and somebody else paying for their sit down three course meal with a huge sense of entitlement.

When you haven't stopped for 26 hours you end up posting on a wedding photography forum and insulting the photographers who post there. You should go get some sleep before the people in charge take note of your insulting tone. I certainly hope that you are not representative of the people out there in the emergency services.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,447 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 08, 2015 03:04 as a reply to  @ post 17588357 |  #81

Feel free to explain how it's really hard work then, bad weather, unpleasant working conditions, hostile environments, heavy lifting, risk to life??

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,447 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 08, 2015 03:08 as a reply to  @ post 17588361 |  #82

'When everyone else does', they are guests, you are not, you are there to work. If it's offered, great, good for you, but that's not my point, my point is that photographers seem to expect to stop work during one of the key events of the day that they've been paid to document?

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,596 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 08, 2015 03:12 |  #83

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #17588375 (external link)
'When everyone else does', they are guests, you are not, you are there to work. If it's offered, great, good for you, but that's not my point, my point is that photographers seem to expect to stop work during one of the key events of the day that they've been paid to document?

...eating dinner is not one of the "key events." It is simply an "event." Candid stuff might happen, but key events are things like the cutting of the cake, the speeches, the first dance, those are key events. The "event" of eating dinner can take up to an hour and a half. I can scoff down a meal in a couple of minutes. And most photographers here have already organized with the client what time they will take to get off their feet. You are completely missing the point, not that you had one in the first place.

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 08, 2015 03:12 |  #84

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #17588374 (external link)
Feel free to explain how it's really hard work then, bad weather, unpleasant working conditions, hostile environments, heavy lifting, risk to life??

You really have no idea do you? Photographing a wedding may not be life or death but the pressures are very real. Bad weather? - yup a real possibility and a pro is knowledgeable to handle it. Hostile environment? Yes, as you have to move people around to get the shot that you're being paid to get ie. being bossy when you need to be. Wedding photography is a one shot deal. There are no redo's. You're being paid to get the "shot" and that often isn't during dinner time.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 08, 2015 03:15 |  #85

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #17588375 (external link)

By your logic (or lack of it) travelling in a car between locations, going to the toilet etc would all be deemed "not documenting" the day. Meanwhile back in the real world couples actually realise that whilst you are their capturing the day that does not mean you have a camera in your hand for every second of it... because... you know... we're people... who do people like stuff.

We're paid to COVER the wedding... which one can do very adequately even when allowing some time for basic things such as eating, drinking and bathroom breaks.

Peter

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,447 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 08, 2015 03:17 as a reply to  @ post 17588363 |  #86

Really? Impromptu things happen in life? I had no idea! Thank god you're a professional and you're able to take the time to explain these things to me......

This isn't a troll, it's genuine incredulation that isn't being justified by any photographer who's trying to defend it as good practice, some have confirmed they do take photo's during the meal and eat when they can, take in turns to take photo's, what I and other CLIENTS would expect to happen, but others have just thrown hissy fits shouting about their entitlement, their sugar levels, how they expect to be treated like a guest, how clients don't know what they're talking about, their 'performance levels'.

You are being paid to document the event, how can you document the wedding if you're taking a break during one of the main events??

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,447 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 08, 2015 03:19 as a reply to  @ post 17588364 |  #87

No, some of your colleagues have described that scenario, not me. As for being asked to join them, that's not common protocol among human beings, you politely decline and say you have work to do as it's an important part of the day that you want to document for your clients.

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,596 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 08, 2015 03:21 |  #88

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #17588380 (external link)
but others have just thrown hissy fits shouting about their entitlement, their sugar levels, how they expect to be treated like a guest, how clients don't know what they're talking about, their 'performance levels'.

...this hasn't happened in this thread at all. Are you on one of those 26 hour shifts now? Do you need some sugar? Because I'm not sure what thread you are reading. I certainly hope we aren't distracting you from the important work that you claim you do.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 08, 2015 03:21 |  #89

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #17588380 (external link)
You are being paid to document the event, how can you document the wedding if you're taking a break during one of the main events??

People eating is not a main event.

FWIW your expectations and those of our actual clients are not the same... not even close. In 200ish weddings guess how many clients I've had with similar views to you... that would be a big fat ZERO. You are an extreme exception to the rule, you are an anomaly... and if I'm perfectly honest you're the type of client most wedding photographers wouldn't take on no matter how much money was offered.

Peter

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,447 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 08, 2015 03:22 as a reply to  @ memoriesoftomorrow's post |  #90

Another illogical post, some of your colleagues are on here agreeing with me??

sponsored links

24,892 views & 75 likes for this thread
Does Wedding Photographer Get A Meal?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.