Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
Thread started 19 Feb 2013 (Tuesday) 13:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Blind Help

hairyjames
422 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by hairyjames.

May 06, 2015 23:33 |  #46

My wife called me at work a couple of weeks ago and said, "the buntings and grosbeaks are migrating through." When I got home from work, just before 6PM, I immediately set up my blind in the backyard and donned my camo facemask and gloves, and hopped inside.

Before I had quite finished setting up the tripod, THIS young fella landed on a limb 12' away! I finished setting up quickly and popped the camera on the to tripod. In no longer time later than tripping the shutter, I got this gorgeous photo of a male Painted Bunting . . . the first decent opportunity to ever get a really nice image.

Within the next half hour I took a couple of hundred images, and no birds noticed me or paid me any attention! Yes, blinds work!

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7646/17162320972_c6e348dcd8_b.jpg

sponsored links
hairyjames
422 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 06, 2015 23:42 |  #47

A little over a week ago I set up my blind in the backyard again, hoping to catch some migratory birds at the feeders. I was not disappointed! Here's a first year male Scarlet Tanager at a distance of about 12 feet. The image is heavily cropped. If you look into the reflection in his eye you can see my blind . . . but he never picked up on me!!! (Canon 7D mkII in continuous "silent" mode + EF 400/5.6)

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7657/17109263130_28e681da71_b.jpg
Here's the entire image . . .
IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7724/17294974552_1b52ecc566_b.jpg

Bottom line . . . anything you can do to break up your outline, and conceal what you are doing can really pay off!

Sgt.
914 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 07, 2015 19:25 |  #48

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Finally bought a blind yesterday, can't wait to use it!

Iain
7D MKII
Another minion in the Pondrader fan club

Beekeeper
Goldmember
2,996 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined May 2010

Jun 08, 2015 01:31 as a reply to  @ Sgt.'s post |  #49

Finally bought a blind yesterday, can't wait to use it![/QUOTE]

That's the one I have, and I like it.

Zach--C&C is welcome on my photos
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/46367607@N06/ (external link)
7DI Body Gripped|7DII Gripped|EF 85mm1.8|EF 50mm1.4|EF 100mm2.8L IS Macro|EF-S 10-22mm|EF 400mm5.6L|430EXII|580E​XII

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,421 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 08, 2015 09:09 as a reply to  @ Sgt.'s post |  #50

I have one of those, too. Don't be afraid to take a pair of scissors to it, and cut holes wherever you need them. I have done so, and now have "shooting ports" all 'round the thing, at various heights. Keep a few safety pins in the blind permanently, and then you can always close the ports you aren't using.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Sgt.
914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 08, 2015 10:10 |  #51

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17588689 (external link)
I have one of those, too. Don't be afraid to take a pair of scissors to it, and cut holes wherever you need them. I have done so, and now have "shooting ports" all 'round the thing, at various heights. Keep a few safety pins in the blind permanently, and then you can always close the ports you aren't using.

I will keep that in mind, it does have windows on 3 sides though, hopefully that is enough!

Iain
7D MKII

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,056 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 08, 2015 17:31 |  #52

Sgt. wrote in post #17588775 (external link)
I will keep that in mind, it does have windows on 3 sides though, hopefully that is enough!

That looks quite similar to mine. My one has ports on three sides as well and that has been sufficient so far. Mine has black mesh strips over the viewing/camera ports and they work well for concealing any movements inside the hide. If yours doesn't you might consider adding some?
Make sure you have a nice comfy but portable seat - it is much easier to stay quiet and still if you are comfortable!
Good Luck!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

myphotographic
218 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 09, 2015 02:39 |  #53

Have Ameristep stopped producing the Doghouse blind/hide? That always seemed to be the most popular one with photographers but nobody seems to have it in stock anymore. Over here in the UK, everyone just seems to stock only the WildlifeWatchingSuppli​es made hides now. They're good but also more expensive.

Paul

Sgt.
914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 09, 2015 05:46 |  #54

myphotographic wrote in post #17589816 (external link)
Have Ameristep stopped producing the Doghouse blind/hide? That always seemed to be the most popular one with photographers but nobody seems to have it in stock anymore. Over here in the UK, everyone just seems to stock only the WildlifeWatchingSuppli​es made hides now. They're good but also more expensive.

This one is the Ameristep doghouse.

Iain
7D MKII

Peter2516
Cream of the Crop
26,302 posts
Gallery: 949 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 08, 2015 10:34 |  #55

kinghong1970 wrote in post #15632554 (external link)
i have the gunner blind... not as bulky... but still a bit much to handle.
if you go to your local sporting goods store/hunting store, you can see it before buying it.

i love it... set it up and even have the kids camp out in it while waiting for birds...
now only if i can get my kids to stop screaming

"BIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRD!"

QUOTED IMAGE

oh, and aside from the ikea chairs for the kids, i have one of those three legged folding stools i use...
fits comfortably a tripod, me and 3 kids... so this option will give room for you, gear and your lab.

if you're looking for portability, quickcamo (external link)is best bet...
but then again, you could buy 2 yards of any camo fabric or camo mesh and make a rough poncho with it and use it to drape over you and gear... much cheaper than the cost of these pre-mades.

you can google camo fabric and you should be able to find vendors where you can buy yards of camo fabrics.

if you opt to buy fabric, you should also consider the composition/make of fabric... do you want windproof nylon or canvas or just mesh...

http://www.rockywoods.​com …attern-Camouflage-Fabrics (external link)

has some good source of various kinds of fabrics.

lol. So cool, It's time for me to get a new blind I might just get one of these too. Oh I noticed one of your daughter used the lens hoodie as a hat he he he.

Peter
http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/peterbangay​an (external link)
EOS 5D Mark IV, 1Dx1, 7D Mark I & II/Canon T2i Gripped/EF 500mm f/4L IS USM MK1 / EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM / EF100 -400 f4.5-5.6L USM/ EFS 10-22mm/EFS 17-55mm/EFS 18-200mm/Canon 1.4x II/Canon 2x III/ 430EXII / 580EXII.

hairyjames
422 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 27, 2015 21:08 |  #56

Thanks, and good luck with your original blind project!

daverator
My title stinks!
2,073 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Aug 04, 2015 22:34 |  #57

Just bought a blind to try out, don't know how much I'll use one so got an inexpensive m&w brand. I was actually surprised to find the quality to be more than I thought. Don't have any pics yet, I set it up in my garage to get familiar with it before I get it in the field. Its 60x60x65 so not a bad size, fits my tripod/gimbalhead/came​ra and chair easily. with proper stools it will fit 2 shooters. Has 4 shooting ports with mesh or you can zip open the whole window. Grand total for this fine piece of merchandise - $71.00! I'll set it up outside and get a couple shots of it to post. Should be set for the fall migration.

Dave
7D gripped l T3i gripped | EFS-IS 18-55mm | EFS-IS II 55-250mm | EF 50mm 1.8 II l Tamron 150-600mm | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 vc

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,421 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 05, 2015 10:46 as a reply to  @ daverator's post |  #58

Sounds like a good buy, Dave. Just curious - does it have any ports that allow you to shoot from a low point of view ? Is there a way for you to shoot with the camera about 6 inches off the ground, or will you have to cut out your own holes to shoot from a low POV?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

daverator
My title stinks!
2,073 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Aug 05, 2015 19:55 |  #59

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17657420 (external link)
Sounds like a good buy, Dave. Just curious - does it have any ports that allow you to shoot from a low point of view ? Is there a way for you to shoot with the camera about 6 inches off the ground, or will you have to cut out your own holes to shoot from a low POV?

It has some low ports but not that low, it has 4 ports in the bottom of 4 windows the ports have removable mesh, the windows do not. I'd say the lower ports are at least a foot from the ground. My first blind but I think quality is better than the price paid, but for that price a guy probably wouldn't feel to bad about taking a knife to it.:lol:

Dave
7D gripped l T3i gripped | EFS-IS 18-55mm | EFS-IS II 55-250mm | EF 50mm 1.8 II l Tamron 150-600mm | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 vc

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,421 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 05, 2015 20:03 |  #60

daverator wrote in post #17658036 (external link)
It has some low ports but not that low, it has 4 ports in the bottom of 4 windows the ports have removable mesh, the windows do not. I'd say the lower ports are at least a foot from the ground. My first blind but I think quality is better than the price paid, but for that price a guy probably wouldn't feel to bad about taking a knife to it.:lol:

You're right, Dave. I use the doghouse ground blinds, at $49 each. At that price, I am not afraid to do whatever to them in order to make them a more effective tool. There's a lot to be said for low priced gear and customization.

sponsored links

33,312 views & 44 likes for this thread
Blind Help
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.