Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 09 Jun 2015 (Tuesday) 12:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Awkward couple won my free shoot! tips please

BonnyM87
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jun 2015
Post edited over 4 years ago by BonnyM87.

Jun 09, 2015 12:42 |  #1

Blah blah blah

sponsored links
Spats139
412 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 09, 2015 13:01 |  #2

Seems like a lot of worrying over very little; particularly when it's all based upon your assumptions after viewing FB images from a few years ago; the couple may be quite happy with the way they look in the FB images. Rather than stressing about something that may not be an issue, just make sure you'll be ready to give them some well composed, in focus and properly processed shots. If this contest is getting you the exposure you want then relax; you're getting what you want, and the winners will the photos that they want. If your concern is that these pictures may not be what you want for your FB page, then only post one to document the event and make sure you have lots of others ready to go.

Dale

PhotosGuy
75,867 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 09, 2015 13:05 |  #3

Well Bonny, you've seen them & we haven't? You're supposed to be a creative person, so consider it a challenge & figure out how you're going to dig yourself out of this hole you put yourself in with the happy knowledge that if you can make them look great, you have become a Pro & should find it easier sliding from here on!
And, welcome to POTN! ; )

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

N2bnfunn
713 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 09, 2015 13:23 |  #4

Four words "Good luck with that"

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

BonnyM87
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 09, 2015 14:48 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #5

Thanks man..:)

That's how im taking this into my stride! Challenges are there to help us grow..

Here's to knew knowledge ;)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,362 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jun 09, 2015 21:33 |  #6

Get them drunk. - buy a bottle of Prosecco and some nibble to celebrate their winning.
Get them to do silly stuff - like kids games to distract them.
If that doesn't work get drunk yourself.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 10, 2015 10:33 |  #7

lief fotografie wrote in post #17590318 (external link)
neither of them really smile, they have a strange type of...smirk?? while tucking their chins in terribly.

DO a youtube search for Peter Hurley's "It's All About the Jaw" video.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

jcook0415
144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jun 10, 2015 11:55 |  #8

Unfortunately, every single shoot that you do won't be perfect and won't go according to plan. It will be pushing your skills to the max but it will also help you grow as well because this won't be the only time this instance comes into your realm. The plus side of this is that it's a free photo shoot instead of a paying client. It should take some stress out because if everything goes horribly wrong, I doubt it would, you don't have to go through the whole fight about refunds and what not. It a perfect learning experience for you.

Canon 6D | Canon Rebel T5i | Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS | Canon 24-70L 2.8 | Canon 17-40L 4.0 | Canon 85 1.8 | Canon 50L 1.2 | Canon 50 2.5 Macro | Canon 580EX II | Canon 430EX
View My Portfolio (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,874 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 10, 2015 12:31 |  #9

People who aren't in the habit of smiling may nevertheless be able to laugh and look pretty good during a spontaneous laughing moment.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 10, 2015 16:02 |  #10

And not everyone wants pictures with smiles. I prefer pictures where I am not smiling.

queenbee288
Cream of the Crop
5,610 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Jun 11, 2015 10:13 |  #11

I agree that you should consider it a challenge. Anybody can make a skinny, beautiful model look good. I pride myself that I can photograph normal everyday, overweight, not so pretty people and make them look the best they can. When those people say, "Wow, that's the best photo ever done of me", you can feel really good about the job you did.

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Xyclopx.

Jun 11, 2015 13:59 |  #12

lief fotografie wrote in post #17590318 (external link)
Hia guys,

My name is Bonny. I am a newbie (awwwwww) and recently hosted my first "HALLOOO WORD IM GIVING A FREE SHOOT AWAY!" comp to spread the word...

worked like a charm! We're precisely a week into the comp and over 2200 ppl has seen my post on Facebook. Even though I know ive got a looooong way to go, and lots more to learn, i reckon im a pretty descent photographer, self taught.

BUT!

And im actually quite worried about this but.. the people who are farrrrr in the lead at the mo is 2 really really REALLY awkward people. Really really.

ive gone onto their facebook profiles and seen a shoot they did a couple of years back (wasnt a very good one but there was enough posing to sense the awkwardness..)

neither of them really smile, they have a strange type of...smirk?? while tucking their chins in terribly.

Im so scared I dont know how to handle them, and the shoot to get me into the WIDE WORLD ends up causing more damage :(

I would love to get tips and advise on how to handle this..

pretty please :)

i would see this as a challenge too, and as a good thing.

btw, fyi, your posts here are very searchable by google for obvious reasons. so, i hope your account name isn't the same as your business. otherwise it's easy for those folks to see this. it has happened before in other threads about similar subjects. (other people have asked similar things.)

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

jimeuph1
215 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Jun 11, 2015 14:50 |  #13

Do not facebook stalk your clients, you have already found out what you don't like them doing, and that will make it that much harder to see who your couple are rather than what they look like.

Relax.
Let them have fun.
It's not about you or your judgement, it's about them.
Be confident.
Try to read their energy, are they fun and out going or shy and retiring? Try to reflect that in your posing.
Let them get it wrong, they will either laugh at themselves, or look to each other for support, either one normally gives you a glimpse into who they are.
Let your self have fun.

Stelvio
165 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 12, 2015 06:14 |  #14

Also check out Lindsey Adler's videos on photographing normal people i.e. those of us with large noses/double chins/excess weight. There are ways to make everyone look pretty decent.

Van ­ Gogh
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 13, 2015 21:53 |  #15

You say they seem a bit strange?-?
I say have a blast :-D

Camera - 2x5Dmk3, C100 mkii, 70D, 60D
Lenses - 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS ii, 85mm f1.2L II, 35mm f1.4 ART, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS
Lighting - 3 x 600EX RT's, Printer - Epson 3880

sponsored links

7,211 views & 4 likes for this thread
Awkward couple won my free shoot! tips please
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.