Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 06 Jun 2015 (Saturday) 21:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

LR4 will not open, says need permission...please help!

joellelee
265 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 06, 2015 21:31 |  #1

I have Googled and tried what everyone has done and it does not work. I have looked for the LOCK file to delete it...cannot find it, computer says it is non-existant in a search. Then, I went to "properties" to try and gain back my admin permission and cannot figure out what to do. Also, tried deleting my LR preview catalog, still doesn't fix the problem. I can create a new catalog and open up a new LR, but then I don't have all of my previous edits from my catalog that I cannot open....please help!

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 06, 2015 21:53 |  #2

Please clarify:

1) You say "LR will not open"

2) But then in your post you indicate that LR can open a "new" catalog

So, are you saying that LR will in fact open, but that the catalog you have been using will not open in LR?

Aside from what you've done and what others may suggest, did you find the current catalog file? The location shows in the LR Edit/Catalog settings dialog. Then, right-click on the file and check as to whether your Read Only option is checked, although this is with a Windows machine, SO specify what OS you are using and ANY actions you've taken since you last had LR open with the proper catalog!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

joellelee
THREAD ­ STARTER
265 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by joellelee. (2 edits in all)

Jun 06, 2015 22:00 |  #3

So sorry for not being tech savvy. It is hard to explain. What happened was my computer shut down. When I re-booted and tried to open LR4 this is the exact message I received..."LR cannot use the catalog named LR4 catalog because it is not writeable and cannot be opened." "This could be caused by incorrect permissions, you may try to correct the problem or select a different catalog"
So, I selected a different catalo and I can upload my raw to edit...but this is not the original catalog I was in so I now don't have access to my recent edits...hope this makes sense and helps? In addition, now when I click on the catalog in my pictures file, a "Locked file appears, which I try to delete. I delete it but it comes back.
When I right click on the file and hit properties...it doesn't say read only.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 06, 2015 22:32 |  #4

Again, what OS are you using, Apple or Windows? And, did you do anything on your computer that may have possibly caused something to happen to your files?

And then, depending on your OS you will have a way to view and change permissions for that file, so again, what OS are you using?

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

joellelee
THREAD ­ STARTER
265 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 06, 2015 22:44 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #5

Windows 7...no, did nothing different to computer. My husband re-booted because it got stuck.

joellelee
THREAD ­ STARTER
265 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 06, 2015 23:00 |  #6

The file is saying it is corrupted or unreadable.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 07, 2015 00:54 |  #7

I you right-click on the file in its Windows folder and select Properties, what do you see? There are several tabs you can click through...the Read Only property for your user is in the first tab and should be un-set. There may be something else amiss, if you know how to make and post screen shots it could help us to help you!

Tony

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,452 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 07, 2015 01:58 |  #8

In addition, now when I click on the catalog in my pictures file, a "Locked file appears, which I try to delete. I delete it but it comes back.

The lock file will always come back if you delete it while LR is running. Any time LR is open it creates that file so it cannot be opened more than once. When it is closed the file is normally deleted, but if LR is stopped not in the normal way, by a crash or an electricity outage or a force stop, it doesn't get a chance to do the delete. So close LR first and then open the My Pictures/Lightroom folder and look for the .lock folder. However, since you have been able to open LR and create a new file, I doubt you will find it. Now, LR still closed, find your old catalog file - Lightroom 4 Catalog.lrcat - and double-click on it. Does that cause LR to open? Is all your work there? If LR does not open, navigate to your most recent backup .lrcat file and double-click. If you haven't been backing up your catalog regularly and your work catalog is corrupted, you have probably lost your work.

Elie / אלי

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 07, 2015 02:41 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

LR, by default, keeps a backup catalog. Have you tried to open that? I believe default is to backup once a week, so even if you have it, it may not contain recent work. I have mine set to never; I do manual backups of my entire disk, usually daily.

LR, by default, has back-ups enabled. If you don't have a backup catalog, it is because someone turned that option off. In the <EDIT> tab, select <PREFERENCES>. At the bottom of the <GENERAL> tab is a <GO TO CATALOG SETTINGS> button. Click that to adjust your backup timing.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,516 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 09, 2015 16:34 |  #10

This issue is in the Adobe website technical forums. The lock file is created when the catalog is accessed to keep anyone else from accessing the same catalog. The adobe forums gives you specific instructions for where to find the lock file and to delete it. You have to be logged into the windows machine as administrator to do this.

Look here - https://forums.adobe.c​om …d/555520?start=​0&tstart=0 (external link)

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,077 views & 1 like for this thread
LR4 will not open, says need permission...please help!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.