Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 07, 2015 00:36 as a reply to  @ post 17585276 |  #7096

its a bit over sharpened, white balance is off, the crop is tight ..... odd to see cut trees and doesn't show the entire architecture of your grand entrance.

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

sponsored links
jsinon
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 07, 2015 07:49 |  #7097

TRhoads wrote in post #17583749 (external link)
I do almost all of the photography for our office...we primarily design limited service hotels, but my main client does a lot of custom work on their lobby and interiors. This was one of the last ones we completed. Shot with the 5DII and the TSE 24II I used a total of 12 images. There were enough lights in the room that I played with the dimmer controls on all of the spaces to try to get the light I wanted. I have been doing more and more of this for work, and really enjoy it.

I'm curious, since I'm just starting out with my TS-E 17, I was wondering why 12 shots? Did you shoot multiple rows, or did you overlap like crazy to ensure a seamless stitch? I've had excellent results with using only three shots, but so far only for landscapes.

Fuji X-T2, Fuji X-Pro1, XF18-55, XF10-24, XF50-140
http://www.jeffsinon.c​om/ (external link)
http://jeffsinonphotog​raphy.wordpress.com/ (external link)

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
12,935 posts
Gallery: 304 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 07, 2015 15:32 as a reply to  @ PhilF's post |  #7098

Thanks Phil for your input... Much appreciated... On a side note, I just noticed my new tagline "NOT TOO CRUNCHY"... I LOVE IT!!! Bwahahha... Thanks to whomever changed it...

:D

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 07, 2015 18:07 |  #7099

airbutchie wrote in post #17587700 (external link)
On a side note, I just noticed my new tagline "NOT TOO CRUNCHY"... I LOVE IT!!! Bwahahha... Thanks to whomever changed it...

You've been tagged by the Title Fairy. It's an epidemic.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,559 posts
Gallery: 488 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 07, 2015 19:33 |  #7100

jsinon wrote in post #17587246 (external link)
I'm curious, since I'm just starting out with my TS-E 17, I was wondering why 12 shots? Did you shoot multiple rows, or did you overlap like crazy to ensure a seamless stitch? I've had excellent results with using only three shots, but so far only for landscapes.

I have never used the TSE 17mm. I would bet that at 17mm you can get quite a bit more in the 3 frames than with the 24mm.

For the shot I did my shift left and right but also rotational with the left and right shift to try to get as much of the space as I could and allow for better overlap and a little room to crop.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

jsinon
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 07, 2015 20:05 as a reply to  @ TRhoads's post |  #7101

Thanks for the information. I've only barely begun playing with my first tilt-shift and was wondering if I was missing something when it comes to interior panos like this.

Fuji X-T2, Fuji X-Pro1, XF18-55, XF10-24, XF50-140
http://www.jeffsinon.c​om/ (external link)
http://jeffsinonphotog​raphy.wordpress.com/ (external link)

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Gallery: 370 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 08, 2015 07:55 |  #7102

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/300/18412767719_c15c69d59d_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/u45f​mp  (external link) East Main St.-07 (external link) by Tim Wilson (external link), on Flickr

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by cccc.

Jun 09, 2015 09:50 |  #7103

I am posting this because it seems there are lots of new real estate photographers out there... trying to find the proper balance of strobes and ambient light is extremely difficult. I've honed this technique down to a point where I can shoot an entire home in about an hour.

{EDIT} Post was cut off for some reason, I'll re-post below.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

AZFiLM
155 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 09, 2015 18:02 as a reply to  @ cccc's post |  #7104

CCCC,
I would love tips on how you can achieve this type of balance.

AZFiLM
155 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 09, 2015 18:20 |  #7105

I'm one of those new Real Estate Photographers CCCC was speaking of, so new that I haven't completed my first shoot yet lol.

I'd like to ask you guys some questions I had in my head that I haven't been able to find answers to. Sorry in advance if they're old redundant questions that have been beaten over your heads from rookies like me.

I currently have a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, but in my practice shots, I feel I might want to go a tad wider. I understand wider isn't always better in real estate photography, but that's how I feel at the moment. Would a 17-40 be a better option than my 24-70 with angle and barrel distortion being considered? I still do other types of photography, but I love the idea of real estate, architectural and commercial photography being my full time job someday, but since today isn't that day, I can only flirt with the idea of selling either my 24-70 or 70-200 for a tilt shift lens. I have to pose the same question for the 24mm FL as well, will I desire for wider angles if I go for the Rokinon 24mm tilt shift? In your experience, is 24mm enough? I also think I can just make due with my 24-70 and correct distortion in post, but I am looking for advice today, so any will be greatly appreciated.

Also, I need a new tripod, no doubt about it. At the moment I can not afford anything north of $200-250, "buy one good tripod and never have to do it again", I know, but bills don't care about my tripod needs. I seen some mention Dolica as a good brand. There's a deal at Costco for a carbon fiber Dolica tripod with head for $200. Should I even bother with carbon fiber since my goal is stability? It does have a hook for adding weight which I love, but like I said, I'm seeking advice today.

If anyone can shine some light on my questions, I'd be extremely grateful. Thank you in advance to any one who takes the time to give me input, feedback and advice. Thank you.

-Andrew

rgs
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 09, 2015 19:17 |  #7106

AZFiLM wrote in post #17590695 (external link)
I currently have a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, but in my practice shots, I feel I might want to go a tad wider. I understand wider isn't always better in real estate photography, but that's how I feel at the moment. Would a 17-40 be a better option than my 24-70 with angle and barrel distortion being considered?

Also, I need a new tripod, no doubt about it. At the moment I can not afford anything north of $200-250, "buy one good tripod and never have to do it again", I know, but bills don't care about my tripod needs. I seen some mention Dolica as a good brand. There's a deal at Costco for a carbon fiber Dolica tripod with head for $200. Should I even bother with carbon fiber since my goal is stability? It does have a hook for adding weight which I love, but like I said, I'm seeking advice today.

If anyone can shine some light on my questions, I'd be extremely grateful. Thank you in advance to any one who takes the time to give me input, feedback and advice. Thank you.

-Andrew

Welcome. I'll try to help. I presume you are shooting a FF camera. If so, you will find 24mm quite useful but you will also need wider. 17-40 or the new 16-35 f4 would be good choices. The 16-35 2.8 is quite a bit more money. The wide zoom will be your 90% lens. The only time you will need anything else is for detail work or when you are fortunate enough to be able to back way up for an exterior shot. Longer lenses produce better exterior shots but there usually isn't room to use one. I shoot with a Canon 7DII (crop sensor) and my 10-22 rarely leaves my camera when shooting RE.

Tripods - Look for used or Manfrotto 055PRO. Then get a Sirui ball head but plan on getting a geared head later (better for fine adjustments and leveling indoors). Buy used if you can. Don't get a Manfrotto ball head. No good at all but their geared heads are excellent.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

AZFiLM
155 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by AZFiLM.

Jun 09, 2015 19:56 as a reply to  @ rgs's post |  #7107

Thank you for your response. I apologize, yes, I'm shooting with a 6D. I love my 24-70, but I feel I could comfortably replace it with a 17-40 for what I do. When I do weddings or portraits, I always have a flash anyways (this is me talking myself into it lol), but I am going to strive for R.E. photography full time so it's almost a no brainer. Other option would be to reach for that tilt shift, but maybe I could get that later when I start getting a constant stream of jobs coming in.

About the tripod set up, first, thank you, but would either of these following setups be a good route in your opinion?

First is a brand new set of legs from ebay:
http://www.ebay.com …ain_0&hash=item​3aaafc49f1 (external link)

and adding a Sirui head (cheapest I could find) from B&H:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …src10_c_10_ball​_head.html (external link)

(edit: got so excited I didn't even realize this head isn't what I'm looking for)

Total: $260

Other option is a Sticks and Head combo, fairly used from ebay:
http://www.ebay.com …ain_0&hash=item​3aaba92336 (external link)

Total: $275

Your thoughts?

rgs
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 09, 2015 21:38 |  #7108

The Sirui C & G series are older designs and do not have a good reputation. The K series are the ones to get. A K30x is about $140. A K20x is a bit less. The K10 x may be too small but I haven't used one so don't know for sure.

If that's too much, the used rig would be OK but I would want to replace that Manfrotto head quickly. You will find the Manfrotto ball heads are difficult to adjust precisely and often droop after they are set. The problem appears to be with the design of the quick release plate. If you are going to specialize in RE, the Manfrotto 410 Junior is the head to get. http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …0_Junior_Geared​_Head.html (external link) It's about $225

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

AZFiLM
155 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by AZFiLM.

Jun 09, 2015 23:35 as a reply to  @ rgs's post |  #7109

Thank you so much for your help. My posts show how much I need to learn here. I'll post a photo I took recently, nothing fancy, just a practice shot of my own bedroom.

I'll do my research, but I did like my old Rokinon 14mm back in the day, Maybe it's time I pick one of those up again. We'll see.

EDIT:

Here's said photo:

IMAGE: http://www.azfilm.info/photos/i-p9w2JFq/0/L/i-p9w2JFq-L.jpg

Sorry for the slightly dirty room. I actually just threw the bed together and hid the rest behind me in the closet lol.

Few problems I see:

Bed is lit too bright by flash on the right, bathroom a bit too dark, sun rays too over the top(?), and the worst error I see is what I don't see. I wanted to show off the windows in this room, but what you don't see is how this room flows with the rest of the house. Next shot might be from those two windows on the left pointing back at the entry way.

Thoughts?

First attempt at interiors and yeah, its just a practice setup of my messy bedroom lol.

Thanks again,

-Andrew

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by CameraMan.

Jun 10, 2015 10:15 |  #7110

One thing I noticed and I'm no pro real estate photographer... My eyes were instantly drawn to the wrinkled bed spread. Since the bed takes up more space in the photo than it should. I would say use a wide(r) angle lens. Get some of the ceiling in the shot.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

sponsored links

2,067,664 views & 1,711 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.