Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 09 Jun 2015 (Tuesday) 14:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Moving to Nikon or NOT ?

odysseyzray
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 09, 2015 14:03 |  #1

I was recently given a box full of lenses and cameras from a family friend that hasn't been using em for a long time.
The cameras are not Digital Era yet.
What made me interested are the lenses, seems like i can do a whole lot of things with them.
I am now an owner of a Canon T5, i use it a lot for my ebay business. I like it the only thing i hate about it is just the auto-focus is really slow in LCD mode.
With all being said my questions are:
1. Should i move from Canon to Nikon so i can make use of all the provided lenses and whatnot here?
2. If i can use what type of Nikon Cameras i can use for these lenses? Mirrorless or DSLR?
Thank you for your time reading and answering my post.
GBU.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
odysseyzray
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 09, 2015 14:05 |  #2

More Pics of Lenses

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

odysseyzray
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 09, 2015 14:06 as a reply to  @ odysseyzray's post |  #3

And Whatnots that comes with them

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,519 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by EverydayGetaway.

Jun 09, 2015 14:38 |  #4

You can use all of those lenses on your Canon camera using adapters. I would start there.

These cheap adapters from Amazon will work fine, those lenses are manual focus anyway and in fact some of them are easier to adapt to Canon bodies than they would be to adapt to newer Nikon bodies.

http://www.amazon.com …ds=nikon+to+can​on+adapter (external link)

Also, when using the rear LCD for shooting on your camera (Live view) it's better to just use manual focus anyway. If you want good live view performance you'll have to go Mirrorless or get one of the newer Canon bodies like the 70D.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

odysseyzray
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 09, 2015 21:01 as a reply to  @ EverydayGetaway's post |  #5

Thank you for the reply.
Never really thought about it about the adapter.
It sounds like a really good idea.
However there's a concern that was raised by one of my friend. Would the auto-focus be working with the adapter.
Thanks again in advance.

evelakes
Goldmember
2,406 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 09, 2015 21:11 as a reply to  @ odysseyzray's post |  #6

Ehhh autofocus working on manual focus lenses?

A camera is a tool for learning how to see without a camera.
flickr (external link)https://www.flickr.com​/photos/97611076@N06/ (external link)
https://500px.com/evel​akes (external link)

odysseyzray
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 09, 2015 21:12 as a reply to  @ evelakes's post |  #7

Isn't AF stands for Auto Focus, it says so on the lenses.
Sorry for the noob question.
Really trying to understand all this.
I really hope the auto focus can still work.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,519 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by EverydayGetaway.

Jun 09, 2015 21:31 |  #8

odysseyzray wrote in post #17590861 (external link)
Isn't AF stands for Auto Focus, it says so on the lenses.
Sorry for the noob question.
Really trying to understand all this.
I really hope the auto focus can still work.

Only a couple of the lenses you posted have auto focus, the rest are manual focus.

No, the AF will not work on a Canon body, but as long as there is an aperture ring you can still select the aperture on a Canon body. I use several Nikon mount lenses on my a7S and before that used them on my Canon 6D. Manual focus isn't that big of a deal once you get used to it, especially for product photography (what I assume you're doing for an Ebay business).

The 80-200/2.8 is a nice lens, but it isn't worth switching brands over in my opinion, you can buy those for around $300 pretty regularly.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
8,661 posts
Gallery: 1910 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 09, 2015 21:41 |  #9

The first picture is of a Very very good Nikon Auto focus lens, that in its own right is worth its weight, it is a Superb lens, it could of course be used in manual focus mode, but looking at your last picture i see you have a Nikon Cam, not sure what model? but the Nikon AF lens would work very happily on that i am sure, the other lens a Vivitar Srs 1 is also a good lens and worth keeping.

Hope this helps a little.

P.

Some stuff.

odysseyzray
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 09, 2015 21:59 as a reply to  @ Pagman's post |  #10

Thank you guys again for the all the helps.
I would really like to keep all the lenses just because i would really like honor the family that gave em to me. So i don't really want to sell them.
The adapter idea sounds like a really good idea. However as far as my skill go, i'm very far compares to y'all. So the auto-focus would really help.
Any good idea to move to Nikon camera perhaps.
I was thinking a mirrorless to compensate the weight of the lenses.
But not sure which one to go for that would work with most of the lenses i already have here.
Any help for direction is appreciated.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,519 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jun 09, 2015 22:07 |  #11

odysseyzray wrote in post #17590909 (external link)
Thank you guys again for the all the helps.
I would really like to keep all the lenses just because i would really like honor the family that gave em to me. So i don't really want to sell them.
The adapter idea sounds like a really good idea. However as far as my skill go, i'm very far compares to y'all. So the auto-focus would really help.
Any good idea to move to Nikon camera perhaps.
I was thinking a mirrorless to compensate the weight of the lenses.
But not sure which one to go for that would work with most of the lenses i already have here.
Any help for direction is appreciated.

There are no Nikon Mirrorless cameras that will use those lenses. The only option for fast AF using those lenses would be to buy a Nikon DSLR, but again, in my opinion it isn't worth it. Just use your T5's Live View (rear LCD) to focus these lenses manually with an adapter. It's not ideal for moving subjects, but for still objects or portraits it shouldn't be an issue.

Skill comes with practice. Spend some time using them and your comfort level will grow.

odysseyzray
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 09, 2015 22:13 as a reply to  @ EverydayGetaway's post |  #12

IC IC
And i kinda agree with you. The T5 nowadays has felt a lot better with more use. With more use i should be able to master it more.

Just out of curiosity then, what DSLR would work? Preferably somewhere in the T5 capabilities.

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,191 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 10, 2015 02:28 |  #13

Just a thought. There are adapters for pretty much every lens to convert to a Sony NEX e-mount. This is a direction I am going myself. The NEX or Alpha cameras also have focus peaking, which guides you on where focus sits when using Manual focus. Maybe not your thing but worth throwing into the mix. I recently acquired an adapter for my canon lenses and on my NEX 5 focus peaking and the auto zoom really make it work.

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jun 10, 2015 08:28 |  #14

odysseyzray wrote in post #17590925 (external link)
IC IC
And i kinda agree with you. The T5 nowadays has felt a lot better with more use. With more use i should be able to master it more.

Just out of curiosity then, what DSLR would work? Preferably somewhere in the T5 capabilities.

Looking at the lenses, although there are some nice ones I would say no to moving to Nikon in this particular instance, just not enough useful kit in the pictures... in my opinion only!

Now if you still feel the nudge I would say pick up a D7100 second hand or refurbed - as they are generally just south of $700, it would be a step up from the T5 and give you more room to grow into before making a jump to full frame IF that is even an interest in the future... it would also allow for the AF to work on the nikon lenses you have.

But that is if you choose to move towards Nikon (I personally am happy but advising based on your situation not mines ;) )

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 10, 2015 09:02 |  #15

I don't know what other lenses you have, but personally if I had a T5 and one or two inexpensive lenses I'd sell it all and buy a used D7100, which is a big step up from the T5. I'd also sell all of the Vivitar lenses, the film gear and the T-Cons. The 80-200 is an excellent lens, and it's hard to tell, but it looks like you have a few more Nikon lenses that could be interesting. You also have a macro speedlight.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

sponsored links

2,349 views & 0 likes for this thread
Moving to Nikon or NOT ?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.