Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 Jun 2015 (Saturday) 15:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Come on, time to be honest....

this thread is locked
Shake ­ N ­ Vac
520 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 10, 2015 01:58 |  #61

99% of the time I am on manual. This is not because I want the bragging rights to say that but because I just don't like letting the camera choose the exposure for me. Setting exposure manually means I don't get as great a shot to shot varience in exposure so processing time is quicker. I don't often shoot in hugely varying light conditions but if I do I am starting to get quite good and estimatings how many clicks of this or that will compensate.

I do however leave the camera in Av when it is not in use. This is so that if the kids do anything interesting or photo worthy I can just pick it up and shoot without worrying about setting the exposure. Once they see the camera they almost immediately stop whatever they are doing and run over to pull stupid faces 2 inches from the lens instead :)

For airshows I usually set the Tv mode shutter speed to the opposite of whatever is flying. So if it's a prop in the air I will set it to a fast shutter and if it's a jet in the air I'll set it to something for nice prop blur. I shoot whatever is currently flying in manual but if I am taken by suprise when something comes in that requires a completely different exposure it's one click of the wheel to get the initial shots. I also find this useful when they have two things in the air requiring very different shutter speeds - can switch from one to the other quickly and without changing multiple settings.

Canon 6D / Canon 70-200 IS ii / Sigma 100 Macro f2.8 / 50mm f1.8
www.sm-wedding-photography.co.uk (external link)

sponsored links
Benitoite
Goldmember
4,752 posts
Gallery: 438 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2015

Jun 10, 2015 02:03 |  #62

I grew up with dad's old fashioned non-autoprogram film cameras. If we ruined frames by setting the exposure wrong, it was on our own (allowance) dime. Now with my T3i, it's always on Manual, unless I'm shooting a video.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,987 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 10, 2015 09:28 |  #63

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17589186 (external link)
prime example:https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17528246

that thread went on for a while with me and a few others saying that putting the needle in the middle does not mean that the picture is exposed correctly.

It's one thing to use manual only, something differently completely to "chase the needle", which BTW sounds like some kind of drug reference. :D

I remember that thread! I was one of those in there too, some people had some very funny ideas about the workings of TTL metering. I know what you mean about "chase the needle" and it sounding like some sort of drugs talk. But saying that, anyone who had one of the early match needle TTL (or even just metering visible in the viewfinder) SLRs will understand the saying quite well, after all that was all you could do with some of them. Some of them didn't even give you a way of offsetting the reading to allow for "EC".

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Ephur
618 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 10, 2015 11:01 |  #64

It's hard for me to tell exactly my percentages, because my library contains pictures shot by my wife from her P&S, from my iPhone, sometimes even stuff from the kids cameras. The majority are my shots, and with the data I have since 2001 my percentages are:

65% AV
19% Manual
7% TV
5% Auto
4% Other

The other includes creative focus modes, that came as "Portrait", "Landscape", "Action" and things like that from the P&S cameras.

Now I'm curious though about my actual numbers from just my DSLR's, and am trying to figure out how to filter the data on those. I suspect the Other/Auto would drop off significantly, though it would still be represented, as when I hand my camera to someone else to take a picture I flip it to green box mode, because then they don't have to figure out BBF AF, or AF Zones, it just works to get a decent snapshot.

--
Richard Maynard

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jun 10, 2015 11:29 |  #65

I don't know the numbers but I know I used to be in Aperture mode all the time. This year/ since I picked up my D750 I almost always in Manual mode. I find it simpler to work from a baseline. Manual affords me the opportunity to have less "surprises" as far as the result.

Now I still on occasion go into Aperture mode and Shutter priority, but these days the dial is mostly stuck in Manual mode (something I never thought I would say in the past!)

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

armis
890 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 11, 2015 07:36 |  #66

My baseline is Av with Auto ISO (keeping shutter speed better than 1/60 and ISO under 3200) but I'll switch to full M if I need to and have the time. That being said, my camera shows the actual exposure and jpeg histogram in the EVF/screen, so even in Av I know exactly what the scene will look like before I take the shot.

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,650 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Jun 11, 2015 08:00 |  #67

Why does it make a difference?

You can chase the meter in manual or let the camera chase it for you in auto. If I don't understand lighting, metering and exposure how is manually doing what the camera does automatically any better? If I recognize challenges in lighting and tone, how is dialing in EC different than choosing a manual setting that the meter says is under/overexposed?

There's a time and place for everything. If using Av or Tv or even M with auto-ISO is being lazy, isn't not learning how to use them properly also lazy?

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

CheleA
354 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Jun 11, 2015 08:17 |  #68

bumpintheroad wrote in post #17592693 (external link)
Why does it make a difference?

You can chase the meter in manual or let the camera chase it for you in auto. If I don't understand lighting, metering and exposure how is manually doing what the camera does automatically any better? If I recognize challenges in lighting and tone, how is dialing in EC different than choosing a manual setting that the meter says is under/overexposed?

There's a time and place for everything. If using Av or Tv or even M with auto-ISO is being lazy, isn't not learning how to use them properly also lazy?

That is the trick:), understanding exposure. There is nothing wrong with auto exposure and nothing great about all manual, so long as you understand what and why the camera does what it's doing. I find the reason I like manual exposure is because it makes ETTR much easier, I meter for the highlight(s) and frame without worrying about the settings changing. Also, for me, it makes PP much easier since all the shots(within a sequence) have the same exposure. I'm also guilty of bragging rights:(, it does give you a chance to "thump" your chest a bit -- just a bit:)

delta0014
313 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Jun 11, 2015 08:40 |  #69

I probably use AV 90% of the time, usually with the ISO set manually. 10% manual. Don't ever use TV.

5D Mark IV
24-70L f2.8 ii / 85L ii / 135L / Rokinon 14mm f2.8
Yongnuo 600RT x 3
Just a hobby - CC always welcome.
Flickr (external link)

base_nine
104 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 11, 2015 11:38 |  #70

Manual when I'm using a flash - mainly indoors
Tv at sports events
Av most other times - this is my default mode
P when I'm just taking "snapshots" or feeling lazy
Full Auto when I hand my camera to my wife ;-)a

Canon 60D with EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Canon SX50 (wife's camera)
Canon EF 50mm II f/1.8, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Opteka 500mm f/8 mirror lens, Speedlite 430EX II
Long time enthusiast - been photographing since my teens in the 80's.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,634 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Wilt.

Jun 11, 2015 11:49 |  #71

base_nine wrote in post #17592951 (external link)
Tv at sports events

base_nine wrote in post #17592951 (external link)
Tv at sports events

...Full Auto or (preferable Manual), with AF disabled, and with "Do not zoom, just take the photo, just press the shutter button, it is all set" instructions... to the helpful tourist who offers to take a photo of your and your wife against a gorgeous background!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by Reservoir Dog. (3 edits in all)

Jun 11, 2015 21:13 |  #72

Wilt wrote in post #17592973 (external link)
...Full Auto or (preferable Manual), with AF disabled, and with "Do not zoom, just take the photo, just press the shutter button, it is all set" instructions... to the helpful tourist who offers to take a photo of your and your wife against a gorgeous background!

i laughed a lot because i do the same and ... they always cut the feet around the ankle :-P

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

67cudaking
112 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2015

Jun 12, 2015 09:15 |  #73

90 percent AV bc I deal with constantly changing light. 10 M . If im indoors.

olympus epl1, oly omd em10mk11, oly 14-42r x2, oly 40-150r, panasonic 25mm 1.7, gopro hero 3+ silver.

base_nine
104 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 12, 2015 09:49 |  #74

Wilt wrote in post #17592973 (external link)

You are absolutely right. I know better now. :lol: A few years ago on a trip to Washington DC, we asked a passerby to take a photo of us in front of the Lincoln Memorial. He zoomed in so tight that we have a great shot of the two of us with white steps in the background. It could have been anywhere with white steps!!

Canon 60D with EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Canon SX50 (wife's camera)
Canon EF 50mm II f/1.8, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Opteka 500mm f/8 mirror lens, Speedlite 430EX II
Long time enthusiast - been photographing since my teens in the 80's.

Full ­ Auto ­ Shooter
33 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Jun 16, 2015 16:32 |  #75

Full auto all the way!

I shoot on Av mostly as most of my photos are portraits of my kids, if I'm doing the odd landscape i would probably switch to manual.

On a recent trip to disneyland Paris a Disney photographer offered to take a photo if myself with my children with my camera, which happened to be a 7d at the time. I handed over the camera, he fumbled about with it and took a few shots of us and when I got it back he had switched it to "fully auto"

Guess he wasn't used to back button focus!!

sponsored links

23,945 views & 9 likes for this thread
Come on, time to be honest....
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.