Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 24 Mar 2015 (Tuesday) 12:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Black/White

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 24, 2015 12:51 |  #1

There's no question in my mind that a lot of studio still work looks more dramatic, on the net, with a black background, but...
a lot of perusing the "for sale" artistic websites tells me that black isn't a popular background for the type of stuff that I cough out.

As I have been working with smoke of late, I offer this as a case in point...called The Valkyrie and her Pet.
With the exception of manipulation, the smoke on black is SOOC followed by an inverted image.

In your humble opinion...which might be more saleable at the local Art Show? FYI...it is 40" wide @ 300ppi.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i329.photobucke​t.com …r--in-progress-copy-2.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i329.photobucke​t.com …r--in-progress-copy-3.jpg (external link)

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

sponsored links
Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,169 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Mar 24, 2015 21:15 |  #2

Ignoring the compositional issues and focusing solely on the processing I would say the second one.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

blakedoyle
30 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 24, 2015 21:43 |  #3

Definitely the second one, nice work

@blakedoyle

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,969 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 24, 2015 21:45 |  #4

Not what you asked, but it's relevant: many more people say blue is their favorite color than say yellow.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 24, 2015 21:57 |  #5

I personally like the first one better, but would be more likely to buy the second as the first one probably isn't going to go with anything in a house that doesn't belong to Marilyn Manson or Ozzie Osbourne. But I agree with the composition comment above. I think there is way too much negative space in the top of the photo. Fine work nonetheless! I could never achieve this.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,773 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 24, 2015 23:02 |  #6

Very interesting work and I favor the dark over the light but I suspect the negative
value of black would lose out to the positive value of white only because of the over-
whelming amount of dark negative space.

Take a look around for information about 'Color Psychology', 'Color Mood Charts', or
the 'Power of Color and Marketing'.

A link: Art Therapy Blog (external link)

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

chauncey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 25, 2015 05:48 |  #7

Guys, I see your point concerning excessive dead space...thanks for the link Douglas. ;-)a

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,773 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 25, 2015 07:14 |  #8

chauncey wrote in post #17491036 (external link)
Guys, I see your point concerning excessive dead space...thanks for the link Douglas. ;-)a

Welcome!
But all that negative space isn't necessarily a bad thing either! ;-)a

Rhein II ($4.3 million) (external link)

Phantom ($6.5 million) (external link)

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Mar 25, 2015 07:58 |  #9

I like the blue smoke on black background.
Anyone else reminded of the "what color is this dress" that went viral about a month ago? Black and blue versus white and gold.

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
Instagram (external link)

STIC
Goldmember
1,627 posts
Gallery: 360 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2012

Jun 10, 2015 02:18 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Yellow!

7D MarkII l 50 1.8 STM l15-85 IS USM l 100-400 IS L l 2x converter l 580EX II l Wireless remote l A computer l Some software l A vehicle to get me around...;)

RMH
998 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by RMH.

Jun 10, 2015 06:55 |  #11

I like the blue smoke, but that is a HUGE amount of black to hang on your wall, so to be super difficult, I'd say I'd like the blue smoke on the while background! :) can you hue-shift the yellow smoke?

If not then the yellow one..

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,629 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 10, 2015 11:37 |  #12

RMH wrote in post #17591244 (external link)
I like the blue smoke, but that is a HUGE amount of black to hang on your wall, so to be super difficult, I'd say I'd like the blue smoke on the while background! :) can you hue-shift the yellow smoke?

If not then the yellow one..

I agree, blue on white would be my first choice for this. The black is just too black and that yellow does nothing for me.

jcook0415
144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jun 10, 2015 12:00 |  #13

the flying moose wrote in post #17591532 (external link)
I agree, blue on white would be my first choice for this. The black is just too black and that yellow does nothing for me.

I agree as well with blue on white. The gold on the white doesn't seem to pop as much as what the blue on white would do.

Canon 6D | Canon Rebel T5i | Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS | Canon 24-70L 2.8 | Canon 17-40L 4.0 | Canon 85 1.8 | Canon 50L 1.2 | Canon 50 2.5 Macro | Canon 580EX II | Canon 430EX
View My Portfolio (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,326 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jun 17, 2015 18:25 |  #14

add more to the image and keep it on black.

Like add a whole lot more. I can see the Death Star and Tutankhamun's pyramid in the background somewhere. Half joking, no mostly joking but you have a very unique start with your idea, it needs to be expanded on. Once you add more it won't be such a stark contrast of a print.

edit: go big or go home is what i think i'm trying to say. big dipper and polaris? what are some other Norse mythologies that would go with Valkyrie? You might want something that would make the subject more obvious to the average viewer.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links

3,186 views & 1 like for this thread
Black/White
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.