Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 12 Dec 2014 (Friday) 08:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

cool go to top side click

North ­ Dude
528 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 12, 2014 08:05 |  #1

wow, I just love this feature. And I find myself clicking on the side of other web sites when browsing and expecting to go back to the top of the page :-P
I wish this was a standard feature that every website would use.

7D | 100L | Σ 70-200 2.8 OS | Σ 10-20 4-5.6 | Σ 17-50 2.8 OS | Σ 50 1.4 | Σ 1.4x | 580 EX II | other stuff

sponsored links
Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 13, 2014 21:36 |  #2

I'm not a fan personally. Aside from disabling it, I'd prefer if there was an area that allowed you to jump to the bottom as well, so for people like me who accidentally click the margins, there's an equally easy way to get back down. Or perhaps just some visual warning that the margin has an active click area.

Neil

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Dec 13, 2014 22:08 |  #3

My only wish is that there would be an on-screen indicator that the areas are clickable and what that clicking would do. I stumbled onto a thread that described the feature and probably won't forget it, but many folks probably will never find the hint if something does not reside on the screen to tell about the feature.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,961 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 13, 2014 22:19 |  #4

The cursor turns into a hand, and a hovertext appears that says "go top." What other warning signals would you like to see?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,486 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 19, 2014 10:50 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #5

The hand and hover text make sense but I'd like the additional function of a click-and-hold providing the usual grab movement.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,961 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 19, 2014 11:12 |  #6

AZGeorge wrote in post #17341382 (external link)
The hand and hover text make sense but I'd like the additional function of a click-and-hold providing the usual grab movement.

I'm not familiar with this way of getting to the top. The Mac keyboard command Cmd-up arrow works for me on all sites.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Dec 19, 2014 11:16 |  #7

North Dude wrote in post #17328081 (external link)
wow, I just love this feature. And I find myself clicking on the side of other web sites when browsing and expecting to go back to the top of the page :-P...I wish this was a standard feature that every website would use.

Never noticed this feature until your post, so thanks, it's a really useful shortcut.

JennB
GoldLurker
1,129 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 17, 2015 08:41 |  #8

This feature doesn't work when I'm on my mobile device. Is there an alternative?

~ Jenn ~
"Raise the bar to a level only you can jump!"
{Gear List & Market Feedback}

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by CameraMan.

Jan 17, 2015 08:45 |  #9

There should be a bar that comes down at the top of your screen (page) with the info on new posts. You should be able to tap on that and it will bring you back to the top and show your new posts.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

JennB
GoldLurker
1,129 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 17, 2015 14:55 |  #10

CameraMan wrote in post #17386762 (external link)
There should be a bar that comes down at the top of your screen (page) with the info on new posts. You should be able to tap on that and it will bring you back to the top and show your new posts.

Sometimes that bar doesn't work when I click on it. Does it function only when there are new posts? Or should it work even without? Thanks!

~ Jenn ~
"Raise the bar to a level only you can jump!"
{Gear List & Market Feedback}

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 18, 2015 07:24 |  #11

It's kind of slow. I wasn't sure if it was the server this site runs on or the connection I had to the internet or both. Photos load very slowly here on the computer so it might be some server lag. Hopefully 1.1 will address that issue.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,711 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Jan 19, 2015 11:46 |  #12

CameraMan wrote in post #17387907 (external link)
It's kind of slow. I wasn't sure if it was the server this site runs on or the connection I had to the internet or both. Photos load very slowly here on the computer so it might be some server lag. Hopefully 1.1 will address that issue.

The server has been running a optimum speeds all the time. By "photos load slow" do you mean ONLY hosted photos, or all photos?

If you suspect this server is slow, see the bottom of the page: there is a timer like "PAGE COMPLETED IN 0.03s", that tells the actual time it took to build the page for your browser. All the photos loaded on a page are a separate process that starts after the page is loaded, speed is solely depending on where the photo originates from.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,146 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by Blurr Cube.

Jan 21, 2015 10:24 |  #13

JennB wrote in post #17387108 (external link)
Sometimes that bar doesn't work when I click on it. Does it function only when there are new posts? Or should it work even without? Thanks!

I believe it used to work when you clicked on the title on the gray bar. It seems to have been removed.

Try clicking on the green page number at the bottom to get to the top. -?

EDIT: On multiple pages that only brings up the GO TO PAGE box. Clicking 1 brings you to the top but it's the first page. Other than scrolling, I don't see any other way to get to the top on mobile. -?

| Canon EOS Systems |

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 07, 2015 18:52 |  #14

I don't have a Mac or a Mobile. On the PC Ctrl-Home and Ctrl-End do Top and Bottom of thepage. I tried Ctrl-PgUp and Ctrl-PgDn and got a "back page" result!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,629 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 10, 2015 20:02 |  #15

OhLook wrote in post #17331041 (external link)
The cursor turns into a hand, and a hovertext appears that says "go top." What other warning signals would you like to see?

Personally, I think it should only be clickable to "go to top" on the grey bars on the side. As it stands now, I click "go to top" about 1/3 of the way into the light grey side bar. The red arrow shows where the arrow turns into a hand to be able to click to "go to top". So if I happen to click another program and go back into Safari to use this site again I click on that to make the program "active" again, it automatically takes me to the top. I'd love to be able to disable this function.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

2,453 views & 2 likes for this thread
cool go to top side click
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.