Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 10 Jun 2015 (Wednesday) 20:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Quite the camera, new to come Sony

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,722 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 10, 2015 20:28 |  #1

http://www.digitaltren​ds.com …nys-a7r-ii-revolutionary/ (external link)

sponsored links
Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
6,151 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 10, 2015 20:45 |  #2

Impressive.

Dave
Image editing OK

sf_loft
212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 12, 2015 22:22 |  #3

Yes it is impressive. I'm already listing my 5DIII and will be on the pre-order list. Also am thinking of getting the new Leica Q as my everyday walk around camera.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III & FUJIFILM X-T1 mirrorless

35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II |135mm f/2L | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/4L IS | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro
Benro C2691T Travel Angel | GP-E2 GPS | EF 1.4x III
FUJINON 23mm 1.4 | FUJINON 35mm 1.4 | FUJINON 56mm 1.2

flickr (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,268 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jun 12, 2015 23:01 |  #4

Still no ECF.:cry:

Mark

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,502 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 13, 2015 08:25 |  #5

rrblint wrote in post #17594961 (external link)
Still no ECF.:cry:

Do you mean EFC shutter? It has that. And also has a fully electronic shutter like the a7S.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,268 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jun 13, 2015 10:08 |  #6

David Arbogast wrote in post #17595288 (external link)
Do you mean EFC shutter? It has that. And also has a fully electronic shutter like the a7S.

No David, I was referring to Eye Controlled Focus Point Selection. An old technology that some Canon film cameras had in the 1990s and early 2000s. This technology needs to be updated, improved and applied to digital cameras. It was a GREAT way to just look at what you want to be in focus and the camera would read where your eye was looking and instantaneously pick the correct focus point for you without your having to push any buttons, joy sticks, or turn any dials. We're now up to 65 focus points. Every new generation of new cameras has more, making it harder and harder to select the correct FP by hand. This technology is needed NOW as the next generation of new cameras may have hundreds of FPs.

YOU CAN READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE.

Be advised that for some reason, that I fail to understand, this technology is VERY controversial. There are many haters, some of which will follow me with this post.:twisted:

Mark

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 13, 2015 10:37 |  #7

Are they saying this camera, with the right adapter, will allow me to AF with all of my current Canon and Nikon (AF) lenses? If that's true, and if the AF is fast enough then this could be my next camera.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,502 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 13, 2015 12:16 |  #8

Bob_A wrote in post #17595405 (external link)
Are they saying this camera, with the right adapter, will allow me to AF with all of my current Canon and Nikon (AF) lenses? If that's true, and if the AF is fast enough then this could be my next camera.

Bob, there are zero smart adapters for Nikon to Sony E mount. So, there will be zero AF capability with your Nikon lenses. Canon lenses, OTOH, are a different story. Early reports suggest excellent AF speed with full phase-detect support with Canon lenses. But, we need to see it. Who knows - maybe someone is blowing smoke. ;)

Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

genesimmons
Goldmember
1,984 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Jun 13, 2015 12:35 |  #9

the a7 series has eye focus control with some lenses,its in the menu on my a7.it doesn't work with my lens i have but in the manual it states it will work with some a mount lenses

OLYMPUS EM1 M2. 12-100 F4 PRO.75mm f1.8,fisheye f1.8 pro. SONY A7 various manual lenses. FUJI X100
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/100085318@N08/ (external link)

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Bob_A.

Jun 14, 2015 14:39 |  #10

David Arbogast wrote in post #17595503 (external link)
Bob, there are zero smart adapters for Nikon to Sony E mount. So, there will be zero AF capability with your Nikon lenses. Canon lenses, OTOH, are a different story. Early reports suggest excellent AF speed with full phase-detect support with Canon lenses. But, we need to see it. Who knows - maybe someone is blowing smoke. ;)

It was just interesting to see the following in the Digital Trends article:

"Sony also says the AF system will work with third-party SLR lenses via adapters. This is a big deal for those with an extensive collection of Canon or Nikon lenses, as it allows those users to migrate over without losing the use of equipment in which they have invested heavily."

Sounded to me like there were going to be adapters for several other manufacturers that would allow full AF. I won't hold my breath.

Bob

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Bob_A. (2 edits in all)

Jun 14, 2015 14:48 |  #11

genesimmons wrote in post #17595514 (external link)
the a7 series has eye focus control with some lenses,its in the menu on my a7.it doesn't work with my lens i have but in the manual it states it will work with some a mount lenses

While this is a really cool feature, especially if you like face detect mode, it's not eye controlled AF point selection that is being referred to in this thread. What was mentioned (ECF) is an old Canon technology where you look at the AF point in the viewfinder and the camera selects it. It avoids having to use a toggle or joystick to select the AF point.

Lots of people loved it. It didn't work for me at all though, possibly due to the thickness of my glasses (or coatings on the lenses).

Bob

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,502 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 14, 2015 15:19 |  #12

Bob_A wrote in post #17596839 (external link)
It was just interesting to see the following in the Digital Trends article:

"Sony also says the AF system will work with third-party SLR lenses via adapters. This is a big deal for those with an extensive collection of Canon or Nikon lenses, as it allows those users to migrate over without losing the use of equipment in which they have invested heavily."

Sounded to me like there were going to be adapters for several other manufacturers that would allow full AF. I won't hold my breath.

I hadn't seen that. Would be great if there was a Nikon to E smart adapter. I was searching for this a few months back, but maybe something has developed - or is in development- since then.

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 14, 2015 22:55 |  #13

David Arbogast wrote in post #17596867 (external link)
I hadn't seen that. Would be great if there was a Nikon to E smart adapter. I was searching for this a few months back, but maybe something has developed - or is in development- since then.

I have a feeling the writer of the article may have embellished a bit. :) It certainly would be great if it existed though, and would probably be a huge win for Sony as Nikon (like Canon) have been slow to launch a FF mirrorless camera with electronic viewfinder of their own.

Bob

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,741 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 15, 2015 00:50 |  #14

I don't know why but of the 3 or 4 makers of smart adaptors, none have built one for AF of Nikon SWM lenses in the years that the E mount has been around. I don't see that changing unless Sony decides to get in that game.

Gear List

jabtas
Goldmember
3,058 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 15, 2015 02:13 |  #15

I did read a while back that Canon still hold the patent to ECF
As to whether that's to just prevent others from using it or that they intend to reintroduce it, remains to be seen

Tim
Some Canon stuff, some Sigma stuff and yet more Canon stuff
My Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/j​abtas (external link)

sponsored links

2,495 views & 1 like for this thread
Quite the camera, new to come Sony
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.