Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 10 Jun 2015 (Wednesday) 10:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera Body for Astrophotography?

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 10, 2015 10:25 |  #1

My friend is interested in a sub $2000 camera body that is best for Astrophotography, which I assume means it has great ISO results?

He read some blogs and someone posted that the 6D has performed better than the 5DMKII and 5DMKIII even.
This body caught his eye because its $1300~ which is the first FF body to be below $2000 which is where he wants to be.

I just want to make sure, not being up to date on today's cameras, I own a 5DKMII, that he's getting the best camera for his price range and use.

Here is the blog post (external link) he found where the writer said it performs better than the 5Ds.

sponsored links
ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 10, 2015 16:48 |  #2

The announcement of this new Sony A7RII has me now even looking at new cameras, lol, was just trying to help a friend find him something to get some astrophotography shots with and this bomb from Sony drops...

jeez.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Jun 10, 2015 19:43 |  #3

20Da or 60Da, when you stack shots high iso is not a big issue.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

DanThoman
Goldmember
2,626 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 11, 2015 11:51 |  #4

I would hardly call ISO 640 high as stated in the blog. I also did not see any photos comparing a 6D to a 5D3. I own a 5D3 and have used a 6D. The 6D, while being a quality camera, cannot compare to the 5D3. And as maverick75 said, stacking removes most high ISO issues.

Dan
my gear
www.thomanstudio.com (external link)
www.Buckheadwoodcrafte​rs.com (external link)
http://thomanstudio.co​m/blog (external link)

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by Nighthound.

Jun 11, 2015 12:15 |  #5

I've used my 5D classic with nice results but be aware that with a full frame camera you can have light fall off issues at the edges depending on your optics. I used mine with a Takahashi Sky 90 APO refractor to capture The Heart Nebula in my gallery below. I cropped enough to eliminate the problem. If your friend is using a variety of lenses and shooting wide field then it's probably much less of a concern.

Most of my gallery was taken with a 20D (unmodified) so most of Canon's DSLRs are capable, and I'm sure the more recent bodies will shine. I shoot ISO 800 and 1600 depending on the outside temps. In the winter I'll shoot a combination, in the summer I stick to 800.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 11, 2015 12:23 |  #6

I've seen the 5D3 at just a bit below $2k advertised recently, grey market, but that would not matter to me. And it works very well for astrophotography, that's what I'll be doing soon in Wyoming.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

jsecordphoto
In disbelief of how amazing I am
257 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Jun 11, 2015 13:07 |  #7

Landscape astro, or deep sky? The 60Da, or really any crop sensor for that matter, won't compare at all to a full frame body for landscape astrophotography. The 6d is slightly better at high ISO than the 5d3 for landscape astro work

Nikon D750, Nikon 50 f1.8, Tokina 16-28 f2.8, Tamron 150-600
www.jsecordphoto.com (external link)

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 11, 2015 13:28 |  #8

jsecordphoto wrote in post #17593056 (external link)
Landscape astro, or deep sky? The 60Da, or really any crop sensor for that matter, won't compare at all to a full frame body for landscape astrophotography. The 6d is slightly better at high ISO than the 5d3 for landscape astro work

So how does a Sony A7R or A7RII or any of those similar family Sony's compare to a 6D for Landscape Astro Photography?

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by samsen.

Jun 11, 2015 19:01 |  #9

Astrophotography as already pointed correctly, is more about "Knowing How" rather than "What to use/ tools".

Any Full frame is surely better than smaller crop sensor. But then, when talking of planetary photography/brighter heavens, if doing a digiscopy, you will be more than surprise as to how much even a simple cell phone or a cheap converted web cam can do when looked through a large glass, using that tiny sensor (And surly right processing)!

Try to build you knowledge rather than being picky on tools. Also not within you said budget but if you look at ultimate astrophotography DSLR (And not a dedicated CCD/Cam) look here:

LINK

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

calypsob
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by calypsob. (3 edits in all)

Jun 11, 2015 19:14 |  #10

The a7s with its huge pixels blows away any dslr on the market hands down for astrophotography., small high mega pixel sensors are your enemy in this realm. The a7s has the highest signal to noise ration and quantum efficiency of any dslr. The 6d comes in second, I don't know why it handles noise so much better than the other canon dslrs but this camera has proven itself for a long time now, probably also thanks to large pixels. Noise tests and graphs are great but field tests speak louder. When you really get to know astrophotography and can identify the most difficult objects to image in the sky, only then you can truly appreciate what the full frames are capable of. I have seen the a7s expose the ifn, California, Pleiades, love joy, and ifn surrounding the pleiades In a 30s exposure at f2. That is insane. Crop sensors have a very difficult time achieving that type of result. Also it is important to mention that unless you have it modded for full spectrum, you will only be able to image the very brightest of dso's. Without a modded camera it will get boring pretty quick.

Secondly, a full frame requires more expensive filters, field flatteners and reducers, full spectrum mods are more expensive, you have to get a telescope with a light cone that covers a 24mm sensor, and lenses that don't show coma or vignette the sensor if you go that route. There are pros and cons to each camera.

Also, a good crop sensor to go with is the 7dii which comes close to the 6d in performance. But again unless you have it modded you are essentially wasting your time collecting noise on a sensor which is just getting hotter and hotter.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)
Gear: Many gears Yes.

jsecordphoto
In disbelief of how amazing I am
257 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Jun 11, 2015 20:37 |  #11

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #17593067 (external link)
So how does a Sony A7R or A7RII or any of those similar family Sony's compare to a 6D for Landscape Astro Photography?

The a7rII isn't even out yet so we'll see about that one. The a7r has a similar sensor to the d800 (might be the same actually) which is pretty good for astro, certainly more dynamic range than anything canon offers. My d750 performs better than the d800 I used for a few nights, actually better than the d810 even. The difference is slight, but I found the d750 to be about a stop better in terms of noise at high ISO. When I still had a canon 6d, trying to bring out shadow detail at high ISO resulted in a ton of noise, my d750 is significantly better.

Nikon D750, Nikon 50 f1.8, Tokina 16-28 f2.8, Tamron 150-600
www.jsecordphoto.com (external link)

mtbdudex
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Nov 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by mtbdudex.

Jun 12, 2015 00:34 |  #12

gear smear!
So many great pictures taken here over the years with such a wide variety of gear, most important thing is to simply take your DSLR and shoot the heavens!!
Here's a thread with multiple examples of images taken with my 2009 crop Canon Ti1.

Top 10 in 2010 to shoot (Astronomy, non telescope)

Mike R, P.E. ...iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, AppleTV(160), MacBook
Canon: 70D, T1i + lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II / TC 1.4x 2x / 15-85 / f1.4 50 / UWA 11-16 Tokina
FEISOL tripod CT-3441S + CB-40D Ball Head, iOptron EQ tracker
My top 10 in Astrophotography. . .DIY acoustic panels (external link) . . APOD Aug-5-2011 (external link)

Davenn
991 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Jun 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by Davenn. (2 edits in all)

Jun 16, 2015 22:17 |  #13

yeah totally agree, mtbdudex

seriously ... who really gives a crap about 1 stop difference when doing long exposures ?

just get out there and start shooting the sky :)

Dave

A picture is worth 1000 words ;)
Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

sponsored links

3,657 views & 3 likes for this thread
Camera Body for Astrophotography?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.