Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Jun 2015 (Thursday) 12:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Essential lenses for a beginner

aikijoe12
47 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2015

Jun 11, 2015 12:28 |  #1

Hi guys... "hatchling" here, wanted to ask for some of your recommendations/ suggestions on what essential lenses I will need beside/ or to replace my current kit lens that came with my camera: Canon 18-55mm STM lens, and Canon 70-300mm lens. I currently have a Canon EOS Rebel SL1...

Lenses that I have in mind to get right now are the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens from Tamron, and a 50mm f/1.4 lens from Canon...

Appreciate anything else that you guys can recommend/ suggest...

JOE

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,877 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 11, 2015 13:39 |  #2

Budget? And what do you plan to shoot the most? Until you shoot a lot & that becomes clear, use what you have. I'm guessing that those lenses are probably better than you are anyway? ; )
And welcome to POTN!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,325 posts
Gallery: 1715 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by MalVeauX. (2 edits in all)

Jun 11, 2015 14:59 |  #3

aikijoe12 wrote in post #17593028 (external link)
Hi guys... "hatchling" here, wanted to ask for some of your recommendations/ suggestions on what essential lenses I will need beside/ or to replace my current kit lens that came with my camera: Canon 18-55mm STM lens, and Canon 70-300mm lens. I currently have a Canon EOS Rebel SL1...

Lenses that I have in mind to get right now are the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens from Tamron, and a 50mm f/1.4 lens from Canon...

Heya,

There is no essential lens for everyone. What's more important is to figure out what you are shooting and what properties of a lens are useful to what you shoot and focus on them (du-dump-tsssssss!).

So what do you shoot?
What's the end result of what you shoot? (print, web, just for self, clients, etc?)
What's your budget?
What do your current lenses not do that you really want them to do differently?

You'll see a bunch of "must have" lenses type threads, and there are really inexpensive good quality lenses out there that will also get labeled "must haves." But it's all relative. For me, an essential lens was a 600mm lens, because I do a lot of birding and wildlife in general. Hardly something that everyone wants/needs, but it was essential to me. You've got to boil down all the mumbo-jumbo and focus on yourself and what you shoot and what your goals are from your photography.

To me, the essential thing for a beginner is to learn photography, before worrying so much about gear. Having a camera and a lens to work with is all that is essential. From there, it's about learning photography and getting experience so that you will have an actual basis that is your own to figure out the next step in equipment (if any is even needed) based on what you actually shoot, or will shoot.

Also, don't get caught up in the idea of the lens being the ultimate thing you should be considering. You may find that the look you like, is the result of post processing. Or you may find out that you're a budding strobist and you're more interested in light.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,838 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jun 11, 2015 17:48 |  #4

aikijoe12 wrote in post #17593028 (external link)

Well, you have 18-300mm covered at the moment. From all accounts, the 18-55 STM performs very well, even though it's a "kit lens".

If I were you, I'd shoot what I have for a while until you find out what genres of photography you enjoy shooting. I would probably buy a few books on photography if this is your first venture into it. Many of us started out reading Bryan Peterson's book: "Understanding Exposure". www.amazon.com/Underst​anding-Exposure-3rd-Photographs-Camera/dp/0817439390/ (external link)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

burb1972
126 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jun 11, 2015 18:39 |  #5

i would say the new 50 1.8 stm over the 50 1.4. plus you save about 175$. and when the IS 50 1.4 comes out upgrade to that one. But yea agree with second poster, It really depends on what you shoot and what is important to you. My sons play baseball so i have a 70-300 is usm. I like portraits so i eventually traded up to a 135 f2. but selling my tamron 28 -75 and 100 f2 canon to pay for 135 f2. for wide i have the plastic fantastic 19-35 tamron 50$. And bought the 50 1.8 stm for low light indoor. general zoom is 35$ 28-70 3.5 canon because its pretty good and like primes and really cant afford 24-70 2.8 II. Also im on FF. on crop you have way more choices.

mike parker
gear list 5dc, tamron 19-35, tamron 28-75, 50mm 1.8 mark 1, 28-70 3.5 canon(x2), 100 f/2 canon, 70-300 usm is, helios 44-2, vpk lens put into a m42 cap attached to a bellows, 430 ex

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by InfiniteDivide.

Jun 11, 2015 18:43 |  #6

^ Above! New 50 f1.8 stm vs the older f1.4

Get the new 10-18mm for a low cost UWA (low light / thin DOF)

Get the 100mm macro USM for both macro fun and nice portrait work. (macro / portrait)

Other than that you could go for more reach, but only if YOU 'need' it.
I bought the 55-250mm lens and it collected dust most of the time I owned it.

Each other these lens has a specific function that you kit cannot do.

Also, try to buy used, off the forum here. If you don't need it later, sell it for what you paid.
"free rental"

Best of luck

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,181 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 11, 2015 18:55 |  #7

without knowing your budget, what you shoot, and how the current lenses are holding you back...any recommendation will just be people pretty much recommending the lenses they like...which may or may not help you out...so...more info is needed

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

KevinSch
39 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Jun 11, 2015 19:47 |  #8

I think you have the general range covered - I suggest you look at a fast medium telephoto prime to explore subject isolation and composition. The 50mm 1.8 is a good option, but I would go tighter.
The 100mm 2.8 Macro or the 85mm 1.8 Canon would fit the bill - or the Sigma 85mm 1.4. There's a Tamron 90mm Macro as well. None of those would break the bank.

Be very careful though - that can be a gateway drug to full frame....

60D | 6D | Canon 24-70 F4L | 70-300L | Canon 50 f1.8 STM | Canon 100 Macro| Canon 35 F2-IS | 430 EXII Speedlight
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/92534040@N08/ (external link)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 11, 2015 19:50 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

I can't afford my 'essential lens' list. Still using my 'getting by' lenses.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,656 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Jun 11, 2015 19:57 |  #10

Sounds to me like you already have the essentials: a camera and a lens. In fact you've got two lenses. Now all you need to do is use them. The more you use them, the more you'll figure out over time what you enjoy shooting and if other lenses will offer benefits not currently available in your inventory.

It is easy to spend lots of money on lenses that make little impact on the quality of your photos.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 11, 2015 20:43 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

bumpintheroad wrote in post #17593568 (external link)
Sounds to me like you already have the essentials: a camera and a lens. In fact you've got two lenses. Now all you need to do is use them. The more you use them, the more you'll figure out over time what you enjoy shooting and if other lenses will offer benefits not currently available in your inventory.

It is easy to spend lots of money on lenses that make little impact on the quality of your photos.

+1. Very good advice.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
9,778 posts
Gallery: 921 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015

Jun 11, 2015 21:09 |  #12

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17593636 (external link)
+1. Very good advice.

Ditto on that too. I started with a proverbial coca-cola bottle bottom type of lens and was able to get some decent results at times after shooting myself stupid. I read a lot, shot a lot and eventually realized that my current (then) lenses weren't delivering what I was after. But that was a while back. More shooting and learning followed and even now that I shoot part-time for a living I'm still learning and still figuring out whether the lenses I have cover all of my needs. I think they do but I must have bought and sold half a dozen of them. Don't waste your money yet, try to learn and shoot as much as you can with what you have and when you are absolutely certain that your lenses aren't as crisp or as fast as you would like them to be and that you are being able to control every aspect of your photography, only then make a decision to buy maybe one better lens. Learn and shoot, get to know the beast and get another lens that will do the tricks that you are after. You will know for sure when you are ready for another very specific lens. Above all: have fun :)

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
500px (external link)
Etsy Store (external link)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,379 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 11, 2015 22:28 |  #13

As mentioned above, you're good for now. Invest in more storage, i.e. hard drive. Consider exploring off camera flash.

GoForBroke
27 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Jun 12, 2015 03:40 |  #14

Any lens you can get your hands on. Vintage manual glass is somewhat cheap and can help you hone into what you like to shoot.

aikijoe12
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2015

Jun 12, 2015 06:14 |  #15

Hey guys... thanks a lot for all the tips/ suggestions/ recommendations... above all, I am having a great deal of fun using my camera, and trying to learn as much as I can from watching videos, and of course, joining forums such as this to get a lot of insights from people like yourselves. I am also looking into a photography classes or workshops that I can attend.

As far as shooting, I love shooting sports events especially of my kids competition events (baton twirling) and are mostly held in indoor basketball gyms. But overall, I don't have any particular discipline so to speak of what to shoot... I just love taking photos--sport events, people, landscapes, sunsets, beaches, etc. I'm always behind the camera.

My budget right now is limited, so most of the ones that I will be looking for are used lenses. I know there's quite a bit of great deals in there of good/ very good used lenses. In all, I will be taking your advices in learning a lot more about photography and getting to know my current equipments and in the process having a great deal of fun...

Many thanks guys...

JOE

sponsored links

2,023 views & 3 likes for this thread
Essential lenses for a beginner
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.