Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

rgs
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 10, 2015 10:56 |  #7111

CameraMan wrote in post #17591459 (external link)
One thing I noticed and I'm no pro real estate photographer... My eyes were instantly drawn to the wrinkled bed spread. Since the bed takes up more space in the photo than it should. I would say use a wide(r) angle lens. Get some of the ceiling in the shot.

I agree about the bead spread, it bother me as well. But the OP did say it was just a practice shot. I suspect his attention was on lighting the room. In real work, you may be faced with a similar problem in which case I would ask the home owner or agent about correcting the bead spread. In shooting RE the emphasis is always on the room, not the furnishings.

If this room is small, a sufficiently wide lens may distort and will certainly make the room appear deceptively large which results in an agent having to make apologies to a buyer when the room is actually seen. You gotta be really careful with UWAs. The goal is always to make the room look its best but to do that honestly. As to the ceiling, one of my clients - and older broker with a long record of success - specifically asks for less ceiling unless there are interesting details in the ceiling. She says that ceilings don't sell homes but floorspace does.

OP, I don't see anything too bright and I think the light rays through those blinds are good. They are not too bright. The room in the background adds depth to the image and it being a little darker is OK. You might like them equally lit but you have to decide that. I often lower the light in secondary rooms just enough to bring the focus back to the main room. Hope that helps.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links
cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 10, 2015 11:34 as a reply to  @ post 17590991 |  #7112

Hi Andrew,

A few questions for you:
Are you using your flash on or off camera?
Are you using manual mode?
Do you have any gels?
Do you plan on getting more flashes soon?
When do you plan on getting an UWA lens?
Have you considered renting?

And a few suggestions:
Room is slightly underexposed
Open up the blinds
Select the room in the back and raise exposure about 2 stops
Fix WB, it's slightly warm

AZFiLM
155 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 10, 2015 13:38 as a reply to  @ cccc's post |  #7113

Thanks for the replies everyone.

CCCC, there is one flash off camera left and another off camera right. I have one more in my arsenal, as well as gels. That's how I got the sun rays to come in. Also, I always shoot in manual. I have a space booked for the 19th and I plan on renting the rokinon 24mm TS lens. I'm still debating on the 17-40 or possibly the 14mm rokinon.

This room is fairly big, but the bed is a Cal King, so it might have dwarfed the rest of the space. It's part of wanting an UWA lens. I agree with what everyone said. This photo was never meant to be seen by others lol. Messy room =\

Another simple, yet never discussed question I had, where do you guys focus? I was shooting between f7.1-8.0 ish and was curious.

Thank you again!

CCCC, you are in Sacramento? If you are interested in having me as an assistant, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity.

-Andrew

cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 10, 2015 14:45 as a reply to  @ AZFiLM's post |  #7114

AZFiLM, check your PMs!

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Gallery: 370 photos
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by digirebelva.

Jun 11, 2015 07:49 |  #7115

This one is strictly ambient only (hand held)...for speed reasons..:lol:

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/268/18704323205_94ff9907a2_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/uuQx​D8  (external link) East Main St.-15 (external link) by Tim Wilson (external link), on Flickr

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Gallery: 370 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 11, 2015 07:51 |  #7116

Multiple exposure Fusion/Flash with 2 flashes.1 in the same room, 1 out in the hall

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/480/18516588090_3c60b6f318_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/udfm​wN  (external link) West Franklin-18 (external link) by Tim Wilson (external link), on Flickr

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

dandingo
321 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 11, 2015 21:06 as a reply to  @ digirebelva's post |  #7117

That looks blurry to me.

FACEBOOK (external link)
GOOGLE+ (external link)

rgs
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by rgs.

Jun 11, 2015 21:41 |  #7118

Not sure it looks blurry, but it does look a bit flat. I think I would lighten it up a bit and maybe boost the whites even more. I would like that white trim to be quite a bit brighter than the off white walls. As much as I like EF, it does tend to produce flat results. The new LR 6 HDR seems less inclined to do that.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

Luxury
635 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 11, 2015 22:29 as a reply to  @ rgs's post |  #7119

I think Dandingo is referring to digirebelva's lobby shot, which does look blurry to me too.

Liam - A7r, Fuji x100, 450d and some other stuff. --- Flickr  (external link)--- http://liamgee.com (external link)

rgs
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 11, 2015 22:36 |  #7120

OK. I do see that.

dandingo
321 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 11, 2015 23:47 as a reply to  @ rgs's post |  #7121

Yeah, I was referring to Digitalrebelva's photo. Sorry about that.

FACEBOOK (external link)
GOOGLE+ (external link)

AZFiLM
155 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 12, 2015 00:00 |  #7122

Another practice shot from today. I asked earlier, but I didn't get a response... Where do you guys focus?? All my practice shots today are not sharp at all. I was at f8 on my 24-70 f2.8 firing from the EOS ap on my phone all day. On a crappy tripod, so I'm sure that is to blame. For the image here, I used mainly ambient with a few flash pops in the left and right corners, as well as the front door. Oh and on the couch in middle. I think if I was able to raise my camera, I could have gotten a better perspective, but it would have made the room small. I tried using PTlens to fix distortion, but that program is a joke. I went back into PS and skewed the image, but looking at it now, it looks pretty bad still.

IMAGE: http://www.azfilm.info/photos/i-xcfPhXB/0/XL/i-xcfPhXB-XL.jpg

Help with this image would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure what steps are needed to take from here to improve. I am happy it didn't take me that long to complete today's task. First time, it took me all day for one room. lol

Thanks again for everyone's help in here!

-Andrew

Luxury
635 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 12, 2015 02:51 as a reply to  @ AZFiLM's post |  #7123

Hey Andrew, sorry there was no response.

As per your first post, the lighting seems well-balanced. Your verticals are straight where they should be, and all is well. I find that there is too much of the bed in the frame. The light coming in from the windows is a nice touch!

What is your focus here? What are you trying to showcase? — These are questions you should be asking yourself when you frame an interiors image.

Your most recent living room shot I think could also use some reframing. There's a light cast coming in camera right that could confuse the viewer — is there an open basement door there? I think it's the colour that throws me off.

If you're inclined to tinker in photoshop, the Perspective tool (in the Transform tool section) can be very handy. Especially when combined with Skew, and Warp. Also, use some ruler guides for good measure.

For where to focus/what to focus on/how far to focus in frame, you should take a look into the hyperfocal distance. Here's a good read: http://www.cambridgein​colour.com …s/hyperfocal-distance.htm (external link)

Overall, a really good start in terms of lighting and balance. I'd suggest looking through some Architecture magazines or blogs. The photos there are usually spectacular and can be great examples of good framing.

Liam - A7r, Fuji x100, 450d and some other stuff. --- Flickr  (external link)--- http://liamgee.com (external link)

cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by cccc.

Jun 12, 2015 04:09 |  #7124

Busy day, had four different photo shoots!
This one was photographed this evening, before and after.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

rgs
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 12, 2015 05:26 |  #7125

cccc wrote in post #17593985 (external link)
Busy day, had four different photo shoots!
This one was photographed this evening, before and after.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by cccc in
./showthread.php?p=175​93985&i=i183223435
forum: Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by cccc in
./showthread.php?p=175​93985&i=i95360256
forum: Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

Nice work. Did you change the sky or were you able to bring it down that much?

sponsored links

2,068,544 views & 1,711 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.