Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 29 May 2015 (Friday) 09:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Glass Test

67cudaking
112 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2015

Jun 12, 2015 09:11 |  #16

Just shoot stuff you have around the house. Close, far at different aperture and camera settings. Track kids or pets to test af.

olympus epl1, oly omd em10mk11, oly 14-42r x2, oly 40-150r, panasonic 25mm 1.7, gopro hero 3+ silver.

sponsored links
Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 12, 2015 14:38 |  #17

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17594182 (external link)
So, how, then, do you celebrate when you create a great photo? Photography is all about, well, photos. If some side-tracked thing like gear causes you to celebrate, I can only imagine how much you would celebrate when a great photo is made!

The act of creating art is, at times, as important as the final product. I've gone to various get togethers over the years, and had a few of my own, which were focused on using and exploring one bit of new kit or another. Why not have a get together and have fun with friends who share your interests now and then?

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,968 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Tom Reichner. (2 edits in all)

Jun 12, 2015 14:55 |  #18

Luckless wrote in post #17594551 (external link)
Why not have a get together and have fun with friends who share your interests now and then?

I do! I usually spend about 30 days afield each year with friends who share the same photographic interests. This past calendar year it has been higher than the average, with over 40 days spent shooting with friends. But shooting together has nothing to do with testing out bits of gear - rather, it has everything to do with exploring the great outdoors, finding elusive subjects, and creating the best wildlife & bird photos we possibly can.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 12, 2015 16:56 |  #19

Photography is all about, well, photos

An unheard-of situation comes before my belief system, disagreeing with Tom...I equate most photographers as being a craftsmen.
IMHO, true artistry goes well beyond taking a picture...it's creating an image.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

iowajim
518 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 12, 2015 17:32 |  #20

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17594182 (external link)
So, how, then, do you celebrate when you create a great photo? Photography is all about, well, photos. If some side-tracked thing like gear causes you to celebrate, I can only imagine how much you would celebrate when a great photo is made!

I don't have any of those  :p

My comment was facetious, actually. Celebrating the arrival of a set of extension tubes... Now if they had been the electronic pass-through type, well, that'd be different. Imagine the pictures of the guest's cuff links!

Oh, there I go again.

Jim, in Iowa
80D / T2i / Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon 24-105 f4 / Tamron SP VC 70-200mm f2.8 / Sigma 150-600mm C

kryptic4l
56 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 13, 2015 02:57 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #21

Guess some people have never seen a mechanic excited to see the snap on tool truck, a truck driver excited for for a new modification to his rig, a baseball player excited for a new mitt or stick, even a bowhunter with a new string that allow's him a few extra fps.

I see nothing wrong with celebrating the tools that allow you perform at a higher level .

Spats139
412 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 13, 2015 03:41 |  #22

This is my test subject; not only for new equipment, but also for new techniques that I read about here. Works out great, no complaining about the amount of time that I take to set up a shot, patient while I move lights, came with two different wigs so that allows for different looks, and gets packed back up in the box and put in the closet when not needed. Was about $40 shipped when I purchased it.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Dale

delta0014
316 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Jun 13, 2015 06:44 |  #23

kryptic4l wrote in post #17595077 (external link)
Guess some people have never seen a mechanic excited to see the snap on tool truck, a truck driver excited for for a new modification to his rig, a baseball player excited for a new mitt or stick, even a bowhunter with a new string that allow's him a few extra fps.

I see nothing wrong with celebrating the tools that allow you perform at a higher level .

I agree with this. If your into photography and don't get excited about a new lens or camera body arriving, you're either lying or probably a miserable person to hang out with.

Whether it's getting new tools, photo equip, golf clubs or whatever, I always admire the tools used to do the job. Hell, i'll even admire a new dishwasher when it arrives.

It's not always about the final product, sometimes the journey and tools can be just as enjoyable as the final photo....

5D Mark IV
24-70L f2.8 ii / 85L ii / 135L / Rokinon 14mm f2.8
Yongnuo 600RT x 3
Just a hobby - CC always welcome.
Flickr (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 13, 2015 13:05 |  #24

Ducks are POTN-certified lens test material, one can never go wrong with ducks when testing out new lenses.

IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41183616/duckone.jpg

IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41183616/ducktwo.jpg

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 13, 2015 14:37 |  #25

Heh! Yeah, true about ducks (and other critters)! It's nice to get a good shot of one and be able to blow it up to a nice large printable size, and to see all that detail that nature provides the critters with.

the "flip" side is that when we set off to shoot the wildlife with the gear that we are proud with, we can quickly realize that there's never enough reach, that our nice new lens falls a bit short, and we start counting our nickels and dimes again!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,011 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 14, 2015 17:30 |  #26

tonylong wrote in post #17595663 (external link)
Heh! Yeah, true about ducks (and other critters)! It's nice to get a good shot of one and be able to blow it up to a nice large printable size, and to see all that detail that nature provides the critters with.

the "flip" side is that when we set off to shoot the wildlife with the gear that we are proud with, we can quickly realize that there's never enough reach, that our nice new lens falls a bit short, and we start counting our nickels and dimes again!

Although very often at least with ducks, they can be tame enough that you could get a good detailed shot with a 5Ds and an 11-24mm @ 11mm.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 15, 2015 11:02 |  #27

to blow it up to a nice large printable size

Tony...we need to define "nice large printable size". As an example, this dove @ 300 ppi measures about 48 inches wide.
It sat still long enough for me to do a panorama composite. ;-)a

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i329.photobucke​t.com …ey43/Untitled1-copy-3.jpg (external link)

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Xyclopx.

Jun 15, 2015 11:18 |  #28

chauncey wrote in post #17597743 (external link)
Tony...we need to define "nice large printable size". As an example, this dove @ 300 ppi measures about 48 inches wide.
It sat still long enough for me to do a panorama composite. ;-)a

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://s329.photobucke​t.com …Untitled1-copy-3.jpg.html  (external link)

hi. that's astounding... +14k pixels wide? may i ask how this was done?--did you take 3-5 pics for a pano super fast without the bird moving too much? perhaps there's some trick to getting all the frames to line up so well on an animal?

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 15, 2015 19:30 |  #29

Nice one, Chauncey!!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 16, 2015 06:47 |  #30

did you take 3-5 pics for a pano

More like about twenty...via the magic of PS was able to take bits and pieces from each image and combine them into one big image.

sponsored links

4,877 views & 5 likes for this thread
New Glass Test
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.