Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 21 May 2015 (Thursday) 09:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

60D or 70D For Video

Severechase
151 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 21, 2015 09:52 |  #1

I have a 60D currently that I use for stills, I need to add another camera that I can use solely for video without having to swap lenses. primarily will be shooting weather...filming in tough conditions such as this clip....
https://youtu.be/piOHZ​4OB9h8 (external link)

I've read and watched several reviews and still not sure if the extra 3 or 4 hundred that the 70D comes with features better than the 60D. Would like some input on if it's worth the extra money for the 70D or if I'd be better served just buying a 2nd 60D.

thanks!

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
941 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2013

May 21, 2015 10:22 |  #2

Are you using auto focus in your video, or manual only? If manual only, the extra cost isn't worth it IMHO. If you are using autofocus, the dual pixel AF is worth the upgrade.

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,547 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by MakisM1.

May 21, 2015 10:41 |  #3

If I am not mistaken, the 70D can take advantage of the STM for silent AF. I am not sure how an STM lens would perform on the 60D. The non-STM lenses have motors that are too noisy. I tried my EFS 18-200 and you can hear the whining of the motor. I guess a USM motor would be silent but the cost for a good zoom is in another territory...

On the other hand, if you set the focus to infinity, you'll be ok with disabling the AF and its noisy motor.

PS: I have a $300 P&S. The video is excellent, as the resolution is not that demanding. A much cheaper solution to consider.

EDIT: The 70D has the Dual Pixel AF which is faster and more accurate than the Live View AF of the 60D. The 60D will hunt around the focus point and it will be obvious in playback.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

base_nine
104 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 21, 2015 15:04 |  #4

I have the 60D and when I shoot video, I use my 50mm II f/1.8. However, I always manually focus as a lot of people will tell you how noisy the AF motor sounds. Since I have the 60D, it is not worth it for me to upgrade.
However, if I was starting fresh and had the money for either, I would now choose the 70D especially for video. There are enough advances that I believe the extra price is worth it. However, if you primarily shoot still photos, I would stick to the 60D and spend the difference on an extra lens.
And in my case I might just replace the old 50mm MkII for the newest STM version that was just released and hope it has a silent motor.

Canon 60D with EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Canon SX50 (wife's camera)
Canon EF 50mm II f/1.8, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Opteka 500mm f/8 mirror lens, Speedlite 430EX II
Long time enthusiast - been photographing since my teens in the 80's.

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 12, 2015 10:33 |  #5

MakisM1 wrote in post #17565423 (external link)
If I am not mistaken, the 70D can take advantage of the STM for silent AF. I am not sure how an STM lens would perform on the 60D. The non-STM lenses have motors that are too noisy. I tried my EFS 18-200 and you can hear the whining of the motor. I guess a USM motor would be silent but the cost for a good zoom is in another territory...

STM lenses will be silent compared to any non-STM lens. I think what you're thinking of is this feature announced with the T4i that required the use of an STM lens.

http://mashable.com/20​12/06/08/canon-t4i/ (external link)

Of course, this is all moot with the introduction of the 70D and the on-sensor AF. But yes STM lenses are preferred for video use if you need the AF.

Joel

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,146 views & 0 likes for this thread
60D or 70D For Video
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.