Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 02 Jun 2015 (Tuesday) 21:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom and Canon 7 Mark II

NCSA197
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 02, 2015 21:27 |  #1

I have Lightroom v.4, and recently purchased a 7D m.II. Processing with LR works well for me, and I am comfortable with it. Clearly it's time to update the software. Will v.6 recognize the RAW files from this camera?
And does anyone have any other suggestions that I may want to consider? My first choice would be buying the update, as opposed to the monthly subscription to a Photoshop/Lightroom combination.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,743 posts
Gallery: 394 photos
Joined May 2008

Jun 02, 2015 21:35 |  #2

NCSA197 wrote in post #17581828 (external link)
I have Lightroom v.4, and recently purchased a 7D m.II. Processing with LR works well for me, and I am comfortable with it. Clearly it's time to update the software. Will v.6 recognize the RAW files from this camera?
And does anyone have any other suggestions that I may want to consider? My first choice would be buying the update, as opposed to the monthly subscription to a Photoshop/Lightroom combination.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I'm running LR 5.7 and it understands 7D2 raw files fine.

As far as update vs subscription, why not just follow your choice?

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

rgs
Goldmember
2,316 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 02, 2015 21:37 |  #3

Are you shooting JPEG with the new 7DII? If you are, you are missing much of the fun. The 7DII RAW files are remarkable for how they can be manipulated. Yes LR6 will process the 7DII files as will LR 5.7. And I agree with you about the local machine version. I don't want anything to do with CC but it looks like Adobe is intent on pushing us toward the subscription model. The local machine version of LR6 is deeply buried but can be found. Just keep pushing the "update" button and read the instructions carefully and you'll get there.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

NCSA197
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 03, 2015 05:10 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #4

Good news, then. Following my choice is why I posted. I wanted to make certain to purchase the correct version. You've helped. Thanks!!

Flickr (external link)

NCSA197
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 03, 2015 05:12 as a reply to  @ rgs's post |  #5

Yes, I'm shooting JPEG until the new version of Lightroom is purchased. There are too many advantages to RAW.
So it looks like I'll be downloading tonight after work. Thanks!

Flickr (external link)

RMyers
350 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 03, 2015 14:38 |  #6

I have LR 5.7 and CC. No problem with RAW files from my 7d2.

Rusty
Austin, TX

lance60031x
ISO composure
264 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Jun 10, 2015 12:32 as a reply to  @ RMyers's post |  #7

somewhat off topic - but I am a fan of the local LR as opposed to CC. I hope that does not go away or we get really penalized without any updates of substance with LR 6.

7d mii, 5d miii, 70-200 f2.8 ii, 17-40 f4, 24-70 f2.8 ii, 24-105 f4, 100 macro L, 300 f4 canon 50 1.4, canon 85 1.8, siggy 35 f1.4 siggy 50 1.4 A

RMyers
350 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 10, 2015 15:28 |  #8

lance60031x wrote in post #17591609 (external link)
somewhat off topic - but I am a fan of the local LR as opposed to CC. I hope that does not go away or we get really penalized without any updates of substance with LR 6.

Adobe has already said no updates to the perpetual license (local) version of LR6. We'll know for sure soon if they mean it since they have already given a preview of a new feature coming for removing haze.

Rusty
Austin, TX

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,292 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jun 10, 2015 22:09 |  #9

lance60031x wrote in post #17591609 (external link)

As Rusty says, it has always been the case that new features are introduced only when there is a version number update (3 to 4 to 5 to 6) and that point releases only get bug fixes/camera updates/small additions.

based on what Adobe have said this will continue to be the case. If you buy v6 that is what you will get and any new features will require you to buy v7 when it comes out, same as you always had to. CC users get rolling updates because they are subscribed to a live service. You pays yer money you makes your choice.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

ebiggs
638 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jun 13, 2015 03:34 |  #10

I certainly encourage you to get LR 6. I do not and will not do CC either. I have already stopped PS with CS6. What I have is what I have.

I don't think there is any difference in the stand alone and CC. Just d/l the trial and put your new serial number in it. That is all I did. You must have a qualifying version of LR to get the upgrade because you have to put that number in too. I assume LR4 does that? I had LR 5.7.

Adobe keeps, so far, upgrading ACR and that is where you get the ability to do RAW files with the latest added cameras. I suppose that will stop some time, too. I believe anything before LR 5.7 will not do the latest cameras nor will they be able to be upgraded to do so.

You know without CC you don't get any of the mobile support or features?

G1x, EOS 1Dx, EOS 1D Mk IV, ef 8-15mm f4L,
ef 16-35mm f2.8L II, ef 24-70mm f2.8L II, ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport
*** PS 6, ACR 9.3, Lightroom 6.5 ***

lauderdalems
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 16, 2015 13:44 |  #11

Been running LR6 and shooting nothing but raw with my Canon 7Dm2 since LR6 first release. Zero problems. However, I am using the stand alone version of LR6, not the CC version

http://gamedayphotos.u​wa.edu/ (external link)

sponsored links

2,136 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom and Canon 7 Mark II
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.