Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 11 Jun 2015 (Thursday) 12:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please critique my photos

beavens
133 posts
Joined May 2015

Jun 16, 2015 10:11 |  #16

photogal71 wrote in post #17598999 (external link)
Thank you Jeff. The sun was a little high, partially blocked by my house. The sun move so fast when my camera is on!

Mother Nature cares not for us lowly photogs. :D

That's why we have to roll with the punches and play the hands we're dealt.

Jeff

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,482 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 16, 2015 12:10 |  #17

Thank you Jeff. The sun was a little high, partially blocked by my house. The sun moves so fast when my camera is on!

i was out doing yard work when i noticed the sun on this thistle, I ran back inside, grabbed my camera and ran back to get this shot. I was only able to take 4 pics before the sun went behind a tree and the light went to garbage. One minute photoshoot, that's just the way it goes.

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=17595819&i=​i263050635

that also gives a better idea of what i was talking about with some directional light. Directional is the opposite of flat diffused light which is what your second pic shows.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,872 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 16, 2015 20:30 |  #18

photogal71 wrote in post #17598938 (external link)
Did you get any good shots of beady petals to share?

Some, yes. I'll post one when I am home - quite different style to yours, so you may be interested.

Cheers, Damien

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,872 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by dodgyexposure.

Jun 16, 2015 20:34 |  #19

Thank you Jeff. The sun was a little high, partially blocked by my house. The sun moves so fast when my camera is on!

Do you have a diffuser? They can be very handy shooting flowers in direct sun to diffuse the sunlight. I have a 5 in 1 panel, which is also multiple reflectors, very useful for flash work. Not this actual one, but something similar - http://mpex.com …-5-in-1-22-reflector.html (external link)

Cheers, Damien

photogal71
THREAD ­ STARTER
57 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 16, 2015 21:05 as a reply to  @ dodgyexposure's post |  #20

I don't have a diffuser yet, but I will next week! I just watched videos about them and I was really impressed what a difference they make. Thank you!

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,872 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 17, 2015 04:53 |  #21

Okay, so my thinking when taking this shot of a poinsettia leaf was twofold. Firstly, a simple 2/3:1/3 composition of block colours. I moved a little to adjust the background to get as solid green as I could manage.

Secondly, trying to keep the leaf flat on the focal plane, to maximise the amount of the leaf and water beads in focus.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Cheers, Damien

photogal71
THREAD ­ STARTER
57 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 17, 2015 06:49 as a reply to  @ dodgyexposure's post |  #22

Wow! Is this as shot or did you do post processing? What was your focus point?

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,872 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 17, 2015 20:47 as a reply to  @ photogal71's post |  #23

All of my shots have some post processing, as I shoot in raw. This one has minimal processing - from memory, a slight boost to contrast, clarity and vibrance. The lens I used (100L) is very sharp and contrasty, so I find that minimal processing is required if I get the exposure correct.

The focal point would be one of the water beads in the centre - more accurately, an edge of one of the water beads.

One thing to add to my post above about my shot planning that may be useful for you. I usually try to keep my ISO as low as possible for macro or near macro shooting, to get as much clean detail as I can. Here, though, I was handheld in natural light, so compromises were necessary. It's a trade off between aperture, shutter speed and ISO. I wanted to keep shutter speed up as I was handheld (this lens has IS, so 1/80th is fine at 100mm - but IS is less effective at macro distances) and the leaf was moving a little in the breeze. I wanted to keep my aperture relatively narrow for a wider depth of field (DOF gets very narrow at macro distances). By choosing to shoot perpendicular to the leaf, I was able to get away with f8, but I still had to shoot at ISO 1000 (which is quite okay with my 6D, but may not be as usable for other bodies).

Cheers, Damien

photogal71
THREAD ­ STARTER
57 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 22, 2015 07:19 |  #24

Cleaning out my memory card, I realized I had taken a close up. Still nothing compared to yours.

HOSTED PHOTO

photogal71
THREAD ­ STARTER
57 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 30, 2015 13:43 |  #25

more flowers

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,872 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 30, 2015 18:05 |  #26

photogal71 wrote in post #17615957 (external link)
more flowers
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by photogal71 in
./showthread.php?p=176​15957&i=i70090426
forum: Critique Corner

I like this, good work. It's an interesting composition - not trying to get the whole bloom in shot, and good use of what you have in shot - the petals and stamen expanding from the bottom corner works, as does the space on the left.

Good use of the focal plane - there is a clear subject in focus, with nicely blurred petals behind.

The colours have been brought out, without being oversaturated. In fact, you could probably saturate the colours a little more without overdoing it, but there is no need - I like it the way it is.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by photogal71 in
./showthread.php?p=176​15957&i=i149225435
forum: Critique Corner

This one does nothing for me. Nothing seems to be in focus, but it's not OOF enough to be abstract. It's a bit dark and dull. Perhaps you're trying for a look that I'm not seeing . . .?

Cheers, Damien

photogal71
THREAD ­ STARTER
57 posts
Joined Jun 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by photogal71. (2 edits in all)

Jun 30, 2015 18:53 as a reply to  @ dodgyexposure's post |  #27

Thanks for the compliment! The 1st shot- I was playing with lighting, and since I do not have any lighting equipment I was using the flashlight on my cell phone. The second was "softened" with editing... too much I agree. The lower part of the flower was in focus and the rest slightly oof, I guess it's not really a very good shot in general.

HOSTED PHOTO

DThriller
Goldmember
2,027 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 30, 2015 22:22 |  #28

I think it might be a little early to think about selling your work... But hey I've been wanted to get prints together for a showing for a while now and I have no idea what sells... If you figure that out be sure to let me know.

I would just give you the advice of keep shooting. Try street photography you can learn a lot of things from it.

http://www.facebook.co​m/DPhillipsStudios (external link)
http://DPhillipsStudio​s.com (external link)
@DPhillipsStudios
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.co​m …/UCgAZ5-OKdg1YXONAjGu91zQ (external link)

photogal71
THREAD ­ STARTER
57 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 30, 2015 23:07 as a reply to  @ DThriller's post |  #29

Selling? I don't think anyone would pay a dime for my photos, unless they have significant visual impairment. I have printed a few 8x10 just to see how they look. I was surprised how well the prints turned out (color, clarity, etc), though the subjects were not of anything spectacular. I shoot just about anything just to get experience. I am now using the camera in manual rather than aperture or shutter priority as I was before.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,118 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 30, 2015 23:08 |  #30

Its time to step away from closeups of flowers and expand your horizons.

sponsored links

5,433 views & 1 like for this thread
Please critique my photos
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.