Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 12 May 2015 (Tuesday) 17:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

No Pentax forum?

HugeCanon
209 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2008

May 12, 2015 17:39 |  #1

Canon, Nikon, Sony "Other" which does not contain Pentax. Is there a reason one of the best camera makers is left out or am I not seeing it?

Gallery! (external link)

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 12, 2015 22:01 |  #2

Sure, there's a reason. Pekka couldn't add all brands at once. Nikon, Sony and Leica had pre-existing strong support when the move to AMASS was made, so they got forums. Start a Pentax thread, say in General Photography Talk, and show there's a Pentax following here, then maybe you'll get a forum or even a whole forum set.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Flugelbinder
115 posts
Joined May 2015

May 12, 2015 22:05 |  #3

I also shoot Pentax... :)

http://www.paulresinap​hotography.com/ (external link)
flickr (external link)

mtbdudex
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Nov 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by mtbdudex.

May 16, 2015 03:01 |  #4

I shot Pentax way back with my 35mm Super Program Plus and many Pentax lens from 1985 - 2001.
It was a rock solid camera, sold it on ebay 2002 got more than I paid for it plus the lens.
(sorry for the time warp OT post, this thread just brought back many memories)

Mike R, P.E. ...iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, AppleTV(160), MacBook
Canon: 70D, T1i + lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II / TC 1.4x 2x / 15-85 / f1.4 50 / UWA 11-16 Tokina
FEISOL tripod CT-3441S + CB-40D Ball Head, iOptron EQ tracker
My top 10 in Astrophotography. . .DIY acoustic panels (external link) . . APOD Aug-5-2011 (external link)

venom3300
610 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jun 17, 2015 11:13 |  #5

I also shoot Pentax and mentioned this when the forums changed. I've sense spent most of my time on the pentaxforums...

Bodies: Nikon D800,Canon Rebel GII, Pentax K1000
Lenses: Nikon 20mm 1.8, Nikon 24 2.8 MF, Tamron SP 35mm 1.8, Tamron 90 2.8 Macro, Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR I, Nikon AI-P 500mm F4, Nikon TC-16A, SMC Pentax-A 50/1.7, SMC Pentax-M 100/4 Macro

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,727 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Jun 17, 2015 11:17 |  #6

Pentax was my first SLR.
I used to load it with this stuff we called "film" :)

I'd suggest that Pentax users post right here that you'd like to see a Pentax added to POTN,

...and in the mean time discuss your Pentax cameras in this thread;
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1427175

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Flugelbinder
115 posts
Joined May 2015

Jun 17, 2015 13:42 |  #7

No longer with Pentax...

http://www.paulresinap​hotography.com/ (external link)
flickr (external link)

ericcrazyman
190 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Jun 17, 2015 16:55 |  #8

I may have. I once owned a camera that had a formed leather case and the lens screwed on. Memory fails me on what is was. It was old but worked good.

A photograph is worth a thousand words, but Photoshop can produce a thousand lies. Photo editing allowed. I need all the help I can get.

HugeCanon
THREAD ­ STARTER
209 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 21, 2015 05:39 |  #9

I don't understand Admin. Why did others get a forum for other lesser used cameras than Pentax? Did they petition for one?

Gallery! (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 21, 2015 10:14 |  #10

As Jake and I have both said, those other brand forums are here because the owners posted actively about their cameras. I notice that you took neither my suggestion to start a Pentax Users thread in the "General Photography" forum nor Jake's to join the (27 posts from 12 members in close to 2 months, not exactly a demonstration of a widely-used brand) Pentax thread in the Changing Camera Brands forum. Members haven't petitioned to have areas set up for their brands, they've demonstrated, by posting about their gear, that those brands are being used. So far, based on what we've seen here, Pentax is a "lesser used" camera. If you want to prove otherwise, start, or join, a Pentax-specific thread with discussion about Pentax equipment.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

HugeCanon
THREAD ­ STARTER
209 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 21, 2015 21:00 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #11

Are you using the amount of posts to judge something as being a widely used brand on forum where there's no specific category set for those users? If you don't know that Pentax is a widely used brand then you don't know cameras all that well.

There are far more Pentax users than Fuji and Panasonic combined (I would bet at least 5 times as many) and I would wager you could throw in Olympus in there as well. Not to mention Pentax has one of the longest histories of SLR production and influences in the market.

Anyhow, I wont petition for a forum or bother to discuss it any longer, it's a silly thing to exclude more popular makes and models than the ones you have.

Gallery! (external link)

rgs
Goldmember
2,316 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 21, 2015 21:57 |  #12

We got an architectural forum added by exactly the process others have suggested - ask (and keep asking) and lots of posts on a few architectural threads. May I suggest, without intending it to sound demeaning, that your being offended at being left out is counter-productive - as are insults to suggesting that the admins may not know what they are doing.

I currently don't own any Pentax gear but have had several Pentax MXs, a Pentax LX (a tremendous pro camera that never got the following it deserved) and several good Pentax lenses. In addition, my go to camera for the last 20 years of film photography was a Pentax 67. I have a strong emotional attachment to Pentax. It's good gear and I hope you get you forum.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 22, 2015 08:11 |  #13

HugeCanon wrote in post #17605856 (external link)
Are you using the amount of posts to judge something as being a widely used brand on forum where there's no specific category set for those users? If you don't know that Pentax is a widely used brand then you don't know cameras all that well.

There are far more Pentax users than Fuji and Panasonic combined (I would bet at least 5 times as many) and I would wager you could throw in Olympus in there as well. Not to mention Pentax has one of the longest histories of SLR production and influences in the market.

Anyhow, I wont petition for a forum or bother to discuss it any longer, it's a silly thing to exclude more popular makes and models than the ones you have.

We're using the camera-related activity (and calls for a forum, unsupported by posts about the subject that forum is supposed to focus on, isn't related activity) as a yardstick. You haven't bothered to post to a thread which existed when you posted your initial request, so how should we gauge your interest in participating in such a forum except "low"? Popularity is measured by discussion by numerous members.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

sponsored links

1,892 views & 1 like for this thread
No Pentax forum?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.