Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 17 Jun 2015 (Wednesday) 20:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Media Credential request etiquette

AxxisPhoto
Goldmember
1,893 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by AxxisPhoto. (2 edits in all)

Jun 17, 2015 20:58 |  #1

Hi all,

So a few years ago I had media credentials and shot auto racing for a website that never used the images. Then last year I was the last to find out that the editor that got me media credentials was no longer working with that website, and now I'm trying to freelance and submit to different motorsports websites/clients.

But in all that went on I spoke one on one with the communication director of the racetrack directly and kept in touch with him. My big question is: Is it bad form to go directly to the communication director and ask for media credentials since I'm not really shooting for any one media outlet or editor?

I'm a firm believer in karma and don't want to ruin any relationships.

Thanks!

Web: AxxisPhoto (external link)
Tumblr: Tumblr (external link)
Flickr: AxxisPhoto (external link)
Web: Erotiklab (external link)(NSFW)

sponsored links
sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 18, 2015 02:29 |  #2

Its not bad form to be honest about the lack of working for a real media outlet, but realize that it has no benefit at all to the track. You are better off waiting until you have confirmed a real assignment rather than being the guy who wants free passes for no reason.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

PhotosGuy
75,867 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 18, 2015 08:16 |  #3

I agree. You might ask the communication director where he would most like to see images from the races & then approach them for creds?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 18, 2015 10:41 |  #4

PhotosGuy wrote in post #17601699 (external link)
I agree. You might ask the communication director where he would most like to see images from the races & then approach them for creds?

Actually, I would approach this differently. Ask the communication director where he DOESN'T see images that he would like to.

Chances are, if certain media outlets are already posting images / stories from a specific track, then they have a 'go-to' guy for that track. It's doubtful that they would displace their current person for a new person, especially someone with a short or no track record (pun intended?)

Try to think outside the box. Most motorsport outlets have guys covering every event they need. What non-motorsport outlet could you pitch the images to? Perhaps a local newspaper or local 'culture' blog that posts info about fun stuff happening nearby, perhaps some sort of 'mens lifestyle' type of blog that talks about guy things to do, etc.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

PhotosGuy
75,867 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 18, 2015 11:25 |  #5

JacobPhoto wrote in post #17601915 (external link)
Actually, I would approach this differently. Ask the communication director where he DOESN'T see images that he would like to.

Both questions would work for me & probably both should be asked. The impression I got from the OP's question was that nobody was covering that venue now.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,362 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jun 18, 2015 13:00 |  #6

In most case I agree with the above advise. You need a media outlet to hire you if you want a media pass. However, I have on occasion been offered a pass for a lesser event by a marketing director I knew who was eager to get any pictures out there. There are also professional (but lesser) events that I can register for just by contacting the organisers. Good way to get images for a portfolio.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

i_am_cdn
258 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by i_am_cdn.

Jun 18, 2015 13:25 |  #7

Another option, if you are looking for sports work is going after non-media entities that are associated with an event. I don't shoot for media, but I get Media Credentials all the time for events by shooting for Teams or Organizations associated with an event. In fact in many cases I get better credentials than the typical media get.

For example, if I know that Company X is a major corporate sponsor of a race or event, I will approach them and ask if they are looking for photos of the event, and get hired by them to shoot on their behalf. Then the Client gets the credentials for me. In other cases, the venue needs shots, or one of the teams (especially good when it is an away team, but the game is very important).

I have successfully shot on behalf of the Organizers, Participating Teams, Sponsors, and Governing Bodies. The only time a organizing body didn't have a process for non-media that I was able to negotiate was FIFA.

Douglas Portz Photography
www.portz.ca (external link)
www.winnipegsportsteam​photos.com (external link)
www.winnipegsportsphot​os.com (external link)
www.winnipegeventphoto​s.com (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,362 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jun 19, 2015 00:01 |  #8

i_am_cdn wrote in post #17602132 (external link)
The only time a organizing body didn't have a process for non-media that I was able to negotiate was FIFA.

Clearly you didn't submit a large enough brown paper bag (all used notes) as part of your application ;)

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

i_am_cdn
258 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 20, 2015 09:11 as a reply to  @ Dan Marchant's post |  #9

LOL.

that is sooooo true, and for that reason I personally had no problem not shooting that event.

Douglas Portz Photography
www.portz.ca (external link)
www.winnipegsportsteam​photos.com (external link)
www.winnipegsportsphot​os.com (external link)
www.winnipegeventphoto​s.com (external link)

Keith_D
306 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 27, 2015 18:46 |  #10

I would say that if you don't have any other form of access to gain credentials, it is worth the email to ask him. I do not shoot for any magazine/website/etc., but have built rapport with the PR contact of a concert/tour promoter and am able to get photo passes on a regular basis. Granted I am given the pass only after they make sure there is sufficient space for photogs shooting for media outlets. I'd say give it shot.

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,294 posts
Gallery: 163 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2014

Jul 02, 2015 06:06 |  #11

It probably wouldn't work at Daytona or Indianapolis, but you could approach the track about shooting for them, too. You would be surprised how many tracks have either no photographer or one of, shall we say, questionable proficiency.

I've done this before with varying degrees of success...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

sponsored links

2,022 views & 2 likes for this thread
Media Credential request etiquette
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.