Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Jun 2015 (Wednesday) 21:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Beginner Portrait Photog Questions

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 19, 2015 11:17 |  #31

Superb! Well captured and edited. You certainly have what it takes to be a portrait photographer! Keep up the good work!

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

sponsored links
rlynphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 19, 2015 11:23 as a reply to  @ post 17603286 |  #32

Oh and I get he "F stop" thing" I just overthink it and trip myself up with it. I just need more practice, it doesn't mean I'm stupid. I apologize for my lack of speaking tech. Is there a 4-8 year degree in photography that is necessary before I can work in the field? Absolutely, it is technical, difficult and challenging, but it can be learned. People become docs/lawyers every day, so I think I can be photographer. :)

rlynphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 19, 2015 11:25 as a reply to  @ Colin Glover's post |  #33

Thank you. Much appreciated.

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
9,025 posts
Gallery: 800 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015

Jun 19, 2015 11:25 |  #34

rlynphoto wrote in post #17603286 (external link)
This was the first time I ever used my camera. I took quite a few pictures and her mom loved them all, but this particular one was my personal favorite. I love the colors and I like the way she seems to be pondering something. I am sure it is not up to standard, I get it. I have taken several pictures of my own children since this shoot (which was two months ago) and have improved upon my focus, exposure and Lightroom editing. Now, I will be able to focus on lighting, posing, etc. so that I can improve, thanks to the wonderful feedback from everyone.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by rlynphoto in
./showthread.php?p=176​03286&i=i152278488
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Thank you for posting. Considering that this was your first time using your camera, I think you did fine composition wise. Obviously there are a few issues with this image such as being OOF (out of focus), under-exposed but the post editing (vignette) may have contributed to it, WB (white balance) is not perfect and some other issues. I'm sure others may say more.
But what I do like in this picture is that you took your time to think about the pose, you went down to the girl's level etc. Most first timers wouldn't even consider that. So, keep reading, learning and shooting and you will get better :)

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
500px (external link)
Etsy Store (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jun 19, 2015 12:46 |  #35

^^^^+1 to what itsallart said. Your posing and composition are excellent for your first time. Welcome to POTN.:-)

Mark

rlynphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 19, 2015 15:35 as a reply to  @ post 17603171 |  #36

This is gorgeous.

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
9,025 posts
Gallery: 800 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Jun 19, 2015 16:10 |  #37

rlynphoto wrote in post #17603614 (external link)
This is gorgeous.

thank you, young lady :)

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
500px (external link)
Etsy Store (external link)

agrandexpression
446 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Jun 20, 2015 19:43 |  #38

gonzogolf wrote in post #17603212 (external link)
You call my advice disdain, but try reading it with a fresh eye. The OPs aspirations are unrealistic at this point, I suggested she shoot and learn, whike others are giving business advice. If someone came on here and said they know how to make toast but want to start working as a chef you would say learn to cook first, but nobody blinks an eye when a camera is involved.

I felt the OP's beginning question was about what will she need to get started. There is not mention of setting up shop and opening the doors tomorrow, she admits that she still has much to learn...and has set expectations that in 5 years she will be proficient enough to start charging for her work.

I think most comments (yours included at the beginning) suggested she learn more and start to understand how understanding lighting can impact her photography. I can understand while you might think some of the other advice might be premature, but I don't think that's any reason to be rude and demeaning.

If someone who had just learned how to toast came along and wanted to be a chef, and was interested in what tools would help them become a better cook so they could do it as a profession in the future, I'd encourage them to continue to learn cooking...and if I knew of a tool that could be helpful in that pursuit, I'd recommend it.

I'd hope I wouldn't come down on them with "Comon man, you can only toast bread...and the toaster does all the work anyways. If you can't make an omelet or know what the internal temperature of chicken breast should be - your toast is worthless."

Just my opinion.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,158 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 20, 2015 20:18 as a reply to  @ agrandexpression's post |  #39

If you read closely I never said her work was worthless. I said she shouldn't worry about devaluing her profession because her work has no value yet. Those are different things. Devaluing is a problem for someone with a rate card and clients. You cant undercut a market that doesnt yet exist. But I stand by my orogonal position that declaring your intent to become a pro before you become technically proficient is foolhardy.

rlynphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 22, 2015 15:25 |  #40

I am the kind of person who likes to be more than prepared for things. I feel that to meet my goal, I need to understand the business side as well. If I do not prepare, that could make reaching my goal take even longer. I don't really view this as premature. Failing to plan is planning to fail. The mind set for whether or not I will be successful starts now, in my opinion. I want to learn it all and I am eager to start.

Here are my thoughts: My son wants be a meteorologist/storm chaser one day. When he talks about moving to Oklahoma to go to college and chase EF-5's (which scares the heck out of me), I don't say to him, "Well, kid, how 'bout you just worry about getting out of high school first?" When he says he wants to be a meteorologist/storm chaser, I say, "Good for you! You can and you will!" I don't tell him, "Why don't you think about getting your driver's license before you start storm chasing?" He chases incoming storms on his bike, but he is constantly planning and thinking about the future. I don't feel that it is premature, I think it is being smart.

His chasing photos have been featured by our local NWS, local news stations and is currently being featured in a college meteorology course in Quebec. He would not have learned what he has learned or done the great networking (that may help him reach his goals in the future) that he has done if I blew him off and was condescending like, "Ummm, yeah, that's cute, little one. Look at you, you have dreams". That's what some of these comments have felt like to me. LOL

I think the point is, I asked for pretty "yes or no, buy this, not that" kind of questions. I didn't ask for a personal opinion on whether or not you think I can make it, "I'm struggling to remain positive about your business aspirations" and "For now, work on getting competent and then worry anout turning pro", I thought I made it clear that this is what I am trying to do. I still respect your opinion and am trying to take your comments as coming from a good place, but having something I already know reiterated feels more like discouragement.

I am excited that I am doing a family portrait session this weekend (for a free, of course), so yay-more practice. I also just got a gig as second shooter for a spring 2016 wedding. (Pointers welcome!) ;) Again, I appreciate all the responses. I hope anyone reading this thread who is an aspiring photographer who has felt discouraged or not had the most helpful feedback, finds it within themselves to go for it full force and not stop, because I hope we all make it. :-D

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,204 posts
Gallery: 1640 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 22, 2015 21:58 |  #41

rlynphoto wrote in post #17606720 (external link)
I am excited that I am doing a family portrait session this weekend (for a free, of course), so yay-more practice. I also just got a gig as second shooter for a spring 2016 wedding. (Pointers welcome!) ;) Again, I appreciate all the responses. I hope anyone reading this thread who is an aspiring photographer who has felt discouraged or not had the most helpful feedback, finds it within themselves to go for it full force and not stop, because I hope we all make it. :-D

This is the key, getting experience and getting your face/name out there. Nothing wrong with probono sessions to get yourself more experience with actually doing what is necessary in a portrait session to get results that are printable, if not at least social-media postable (I say that because for some that's all they care about is putting their images on social media, few people actually print in my experience, but that may just be my experience alone). Sure you can learn to use your camera and get correct exposure, nail a composition, etc, at home with a stuffed animal on something. But being able to do the composition, get the correct exposure, guide your subjects to get that composition (hand positions, face direct, body position, where to look, when not to do a toothy smile, etc, coaching them in general is mandatory, people get goofy when they're getting photos done if they're not already very used to it), see the surrounding area and light and use it in a way that results in good compositions, in the moment, for someone, is very difficult compared to just playing around at home, so this is a good way to get that experience which is crucial quickly. Granted it's nice to get paid. Nothing wrong with getting a little compensation, $40 here or there, or whatever you think is enough compensation to warrant actually asking for anything (or them offering), but not so much that people have a second thought about doing it. As you said you're planning a business, so knowing that what your product is and it's value is, is going to be entirely based on what people are willing to pay, not what you think it's worth (to an extent, obviously we can't live on $1 dollar incomes).

Did you pick up any gear yet?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

rlynphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jun 2015
Post edited over 4 years ago by rlynphoto.

Jun 24, 2015 16:25 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #42

Thank you so much. I have looked at the recommendations and forwarded them to my hubby so he can add them to my Christmas list. I scouted the location for my family session that is coming up and snapped this of my daughter while I was there. The park is heavily shaded, so I know we will need to move the time to an earlier hour than we had originally planned since I don't have lighting yet. I think she should have been further away from the flowers, but I was just happy to have better focus on this one than I had in previous photos. Small victories. My goal is definitely for every session to be better than my last. I have learned more from YouTube and other photographers than my manual, so I have already had some a-ha moments. :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,820 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 24, 2015 17:04 |  #43

force yourself to use the 50mm or even 85mm for tight shots. Essentially, it's hard to go wrong with 85mm for portraits since that lens has a rather long MFD and makes you shoot a certain way. Keep shutter speeds above 1/80 for people, I see 1/50 in your previous shot, knock it off, you will get blurry images, especially if your lens is not stabilized. Skip all the flash, learn how to use window light and directional light in general. Learn to pose, it's probably the most important skill for portraits, being able to accurately express commands. Whatever you do, eyes in focus...

hell if you want to splurge a bit on gear, the original 5D is a master of budget portraits.

5Dc + 100mm F2, and you've got one hell of a portrait setup.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Nonnit
361 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2012

Jun 24, 2015 18:52 |  #44

rlynphoto wrote in post #17609470 (external link)
Thank you so much. I have looked at the recommendations and forwarded them to my hubby so he can add them to my Christmas list. I scouted the location for my family session that is coming up and snapped this of my daughter while I was there. The park is heavily shaded, so I know we will need to move the time to an earlier hour than we had originally planned since I don't have lighting yet. I think she should have been further away from the flowers, but I was just happy to have better focus on this one than I had in previous photos. Small victories. My goal is definitely for every session to be better than my last. I have learned more from YouTube and other photographers than my manual, so I have already had some a-ha moments. :)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by rlynphoto in
./showthread.php?p=176​09470&i=i19507975
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

This is what I would recommend for someone with canon crop camera and kit lens getting into portraits. (without spending to much!)

Biased my own taste of course.

Portrait lens for shallow DOF: Canon 50mm f1.8 (canon 85mm f1.8 later)
Reflector silver/white or 5 in 1 (I like the medium lastolite triflector with the handle)

The above is good to start with, learn to use natural light/available light, you can spend long time learning to "see the light", find the best locations around your area, best times of day and so on.

I also like tripods for shooting at lower shutterspeeds with primes that have no image stabilation.

For off camera lighting I would start with speedlights, yongnuo for example. Manual flashes cheaper and you can use ND filters for shallow DOF outdoors.

Lightstand, flashbracket and 40" umbrella (softbox later).

Feel free to PM me if you need more info.

For training check:

http://kelbyone.com/ (external link)

Nonnit
5DMKIII // 70-200mm f2.8 L II // 35mm f2.0 IS // 50mm f1.4 // 85mm f1.8 // 100mm f2.8 Macro // 135mm f2.0 L // stuff
Film: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/souloffilm/ (external link)
Film: https://www.instagram.​com/souloffilm/ (external link)
Digital: http://nonnitryggva.is (external link) //

isvein
133 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Jun 25, 2015 00:53 |  #45

Here are some of my favourite videos on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.co​m …cA30PQh2jwbMWe1​FxWlvcsqZN (external link)

Olympus OM1-2, OLM 12-40 F2.8, OLM 40.150 F2.8

sponsored links

6,563 views & 32 likes for this thread
Beginner Portrait Photog Questions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.