Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 19 Feb 2015 (Thursday) 21:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightweight macro flash options.....

PIXPHATIC
306 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2014

Feb 19, 2015 21:21 |  #1

Hi,
Have tried different options of diffusers for taking small insects macro….all of them DIY stuffs…but more or less effective. But my problem lies with the huge weight of the non ETTL/manual flashgun itself ( a four battery with GN 60)..…..(even damaged a DIY rig due to it’s weight) .
Is it possible to use a small flash like the Canon 90EX, mounted in front of the lens somehow ( at present don’t know how……) at an approximate angle of 45 degrees…??
The dedicated twin flash system is out of my budget and do not like to use any of the ring flashes……due to the weird ring reflections and more importantly since they cannot be used with the ET-67 hood on my Canon 100f2.8 lens……I fancy taking macro shots with the hood on.
Till now I have adjusted the flash power manually and taken most the shots on manual mode,with MF.
Also looking for some even smaller flash options…. a set of 2 could be used on a rig.
Have gone through some good-looking options like these
https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17390508
available online…but unfortunately they are not available here in India.

Advice sought

Thanks all.

Photography my religion,World my Tabernacle.
Canon 70D,Canon 500D(for macro & back-up),Tamron 150-600mm,Canon 100f2.8,Canon 50mmf1.8II(nifty-fifty),Canon 18-55 kit lens,Kenko 300 Pro DGX 1.4X C-AF TC,SLIK 700 Pro DX,Manfrotto 498 RC2,Lowepro Prorunner 350AW & 450 AW,Opteka 25mm C-AF Extension Tube........& obsession for photography..........

sponsored links
Gary ­ Wiant
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 19, 2015 21:38 |  #2

Check out some led ring lights, I just bought a Pergear Macro 232 LED ring light on eBay for just under $100 what I like about this one is it has a variable power that you can adjust from 20% - 100%, it has rechargeable lipo battery, and best of all to me it's not a "flash" the light is on from the time you turn it on until you turn it off so you can see the expose the entire time you are composing the image.

Gary Wiant
1D mk IV - 1D mkIII - Eos- M - 70-200mm F2.8 IS Mk II - 24-105L f4 - 50 f1.4 - 100 2.8 Macro - M22mm - M18-55 - Canon Ef-Ef-s to M converter - 1.4x VIII & 2x VII extenders - 540EXII Flash, Flash Zebra SF-18 Ext. Battery Pack, Kenko Extension Tubes - Manfroto Macro Bracket - Lensalign Flickr (external link)

orionmystery
Cream of the Crop
12,074 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 19, 2015 21:43 |  #3

I, too, prefer lightweight macro rig. I use a 270EX on hot shoe and concave diffuser for my macro work, something like this.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/plain'
20121217_233132-copy (external link) by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot​.com) (external link), on Flickr

Mine is 70D/40D, 60mm F2 though the diffuser and bounce are similar.

More info: http://orionmystery.bl​ogspot.com …12/melvyns-macro-rig.html (external link)

More ideas for macro rigs: http://orionmystery.bl​ogspot.com/2010/12/mor​e-macro-rigs.html (external link)

Kurt
Upcoming Borneo Herp Tour: Nov 17, 2019; Jan 5, 2020.
Borneo Herp Tour Nov 4, 2018 (external link)

PIXPHATIC
THREAD ­ STARTER
306 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Feb 20, 2015 09:07 |  #4

Thanks friends....

Got a cheap replica of the 270EX.....now to mount it on something. Also need an extension cord.

Would keep the post updated.

Cheers...!!!

Canon 70D,Canon 500D(for macro & back-up),Tamron 150-600mm,Canon 100f2.8,Canon 50mmf1.8II(nifty-fifty),Canon 18-55 kit lens,Kenko 300 Pro DGX 1.4X C-AF TC,SLIK 700 Pro DX,Manfrotto 498 RC2,Lowepro Prorunner 350AW & 450 AW,Opteka 25mm C-AF Extension Tube........& obsession for photography..........

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,923 posts
Gallery: 120 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 20, 2015 17:07 |  #5

PIXPHATIC wrote in post #17440609 (external link)
Thanks friends....

Got a cheap replica of the 270EX.....now to mount it on something. Also need an extension cord.

Would keep the post updated.

Cheers...!!!

Lots of ideas on Kurt's page above.
Attaching 270 to your lens hood seems too easy not to try.

Dave
Image editing OK

PIXPHATIC
THREAD ­ STARTER
306 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Jun 17, 2015 23:06 |  #6

Hi all,
Seem to get a macro flash rig just as I wanted.......lightweig​ht,portable,effective.​.....but very very inexpensive.I wanted to get a flash rig without attaching anything to my camera body.The earlier rigs were comparatively heavy,cumbersome.
Also I always prefer to have the hood on my lens.This way I got what I actually wanted. It is made up of 1/2 inch wide & 2mm thick aluminium strips.Without the flash weighs around 50 gms.Effective cost of production around 1$........:-D

The flash is 2 battery inexpensive alternative to 270EX....which is lightweight too.

Only downside is the assembling takes some time ) abt 3-5 mins .....and requires a screwdriver......:cry:

Well I am working on that part now....;-)a

Could not resist posting my newest macro-flash rig.....Got it set yesterday....tested on some minute articles.Sorry for the hazy images.Hope to post some nice shots in coming days after actual field testing.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

PIXPHATIC
THREAD ­ STARTER
306 posts
Joined Sep 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by PIXPHATIC.

Jun 17, 2015 23:14 |  #7

One more thing......I always have my 1.4X TC on with my macro lens......so it actually helped me to create the space to put my rig on my lens.....:-)

I put some self-adhesived paper and 2mm thick rubber sheet on that part of the lens and hood touching the rig...so that on frequent assembling and dis-assembling....they are all very safe.

With flash,batteries,connec​ting wires....the set-up weighs around 200gms.That too the weight is evenly distributed between the lens and the hood via the small bridge (on which the flash is actually positioned).

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Dalantech
Goldmember
4,591 posts
Gallery: 267 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 20, 2015 23:57 |  #8

Do you have any sample images with that rig?

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

PIXPHATIC
THREAD ­ STARTER
306 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Jun 21, 2015 01:38 |  #9

I went out today with my new rig.....took some shots.
Shared herewith.....

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1278.photobuck​et.com …60%20copy_zpshe​ympwx3.jpg (external link)

Photo by PIXPHATIC (external link) by PIXPHATIC on photobucket

http://i1278.photobuck​et.com …78%20copy_zpsx5​e8nb1g.jpg (external link)

http://i1278.photobuck​et.com …89%20copy_zpsyr​5ft0m2.jpg (external link)

http://i1278.photobuck​et.com …86%20copy_zpsgs​rzdavz.jpg (external link)

Happy clicking....

Dalantech
Goldmember
4,591 posts
Gallery: 267 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 21, 2015 06:43 |  #10

Looking good, although the specular highlights look a little "hot". Try either getting the diffuser close to the subject, make a bigger diffuser, or both.

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

sponsored links

5,848 views & 3 likes for this thread
Lightweight macro flash options.....
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.