Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2015 (Thursday) 07:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OFFICIAL : 5DS and 5DS R Announced

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Jun 19, 2015 22:37 |  #1351

dolina wrote in post #17603962 (external link)
Just testing the high ISO of the 5DS R on subjects that it was not marketed to handle. :)

Camera
Canon EOS 5DS R
Lens
Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM (external link)
Focal Length
800mm
Shutter Speed
1/320 s
Aperture
f/5.6
ISO/Film

Paolo,

I may be a few days ahead of you in editing the 5DSR files so I can see where I think your picture can be improved. I have now edited and posted many ISO 2500 and higher files and when I look at your background I can see the small pixel noise that I know can be removed at 2500 ISO. Some noise reduction with MASKING to offset dark areas would clean up your background (where I can see the noisy pixels).

Great picture.

Paul

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

sponsored links
David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,962 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 19, 2015 22:38 as a reply to  @ post 17603962 |  #1352

^Cool shot. Actually Canon has promoted it as a serious consideration for nature photographers. It makes total sense to me, especially for people like you that have Canon's super telephotos.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, FE 50mm ZA, Batis 85mm

dolina
Goldmember
4,824 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by dolina.

Jun 19, 2015 22:58 |  #1353

For those who want to play with some 5DS R RAWs you are welcome to my photos to toy with.

The file name states the lens attached to the body. I will update from time to time with more lens samples.

https://www.dropbox.co​m …vKVjcRvBRpDeX67​vDf3a?dl=0 (external link)

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your feedback. I didnt do any denoising on the image whatsoever. ;) I was seeing if anyone would notice the noise at ISO 2,500. Will post ISO 5,000 and see where it goes

David,

That was a consideration. In truth I've been a bit antsy getting a 5D body since I discovered the 5D3 was incompatible with my lens without the lens being opened up for a parts swap.

IMAGE: https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3743/18786358270_cd03ff4187_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/uC5Z​NN  (external link)
5DS R + 800mm (external link) by alabang (external link), on

Camera
Canon EOS 5DS R
Lens
Focal Length
800mm
Shutter Speed
1/200 s
Aperture
f/5.6
ISO/Film

Visit my Flickr (external link), Facebook (external link) & 500px (external link) and see my photos. :)

Savethemoment
487 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 20, 2015 01:12 |  #1354

dolina wrote in post #17603962 (external link)
Just testing the high ISO of the 5DS R on subjects that it was not marketed to handle. :)

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/uUzq​Dx  (external link)
Chestnut Munia (Lonchura atricapilla) (external link) by alabang (external link), on Flickr

The Chestnut Munia (Lonchura atricapilla) (formerly considered as a subspecies of the tricoloured munia Lonchura malacca atricapilla), also known as black-headed munia, is a small passerine bird. This estrildid finch is a resident breeding bird in Bangladesh, Brunei, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Burma, Nepal, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam and Hawaii.

Before 1995, it was the national bird of the Philippines,[2] where it is known as mayang pula ("red maya") because of its brick red patch on the lower back which is visible only when it flies. (This distinguishes it from other birds locally called maya, notably the predominantly brownish "mayang simbahan" (tree sparrow)[3] which is more common in urban areas.)

Source: https://en.wikipedia.o​rg/wiki/Chestnut_munia (external link)

Location: https://en.wikipedia.o​rg/wiki/Muntinlupa (external link)

Camera
Canon EOS 5DS R
Lens
Focal Length
800mm
Shutter Speed
1/320 s
Aperture
f/5.6
ISO/Film

What a gorgeous photo!

Always learning
Always looking for the good light

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 20, 2015 18:47 |  #1355

ErgoSpacePig wrote in post #17603190 (external link)
here is a sample pic shot with my Zeiss 100 makro planer at f/8 and using a flash.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/uSGf​vm  (external link) testing the new canon 5Dsr resolution (external link) by Bob (external link), on Flickr

if you download the full size image and zoom in you can see crazy detail and clarity.
bob

I Down-loaded it to an iPad Air - OK its not a 4K screen, but even at 2048x1536 resolution at 264 ppi it looks pretty awesome to me.
And I needed convincing as I am very open to the benefits of the sony sensor technology. But definitely not a fan of adapters.
I have to say I am pretty impressed. Apart from being lighter than the 5D3 and being a Tad pricey. So far looks pretty useable to me, for what I shoot. ( I do understand other folks concerns ref DR etc.)

If I didnt have to buy another editing Workstation ( current one is struggling as is ). Then I would not be hesitating - but I am still a little nervous at the though of selling my perfect 5D3, which will now have to happen. Before the computer crisis I planned to keep the 5D3.

I would love to see a non promo well lit headshot picture - shot freehand with IS on, at ISO 160 F11, SS 1/160. Particularly at 70mm on the 70-200F2.8L II. ( hint hint ..... Please ).

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

DJHaze596
Goldmember
1,398 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2012

Jun 21, 2015 21:21 |  #1356

dolina wrote in post #17604001 (external link)
For those who want to play with some 5DS R RAWs you are welcome to my photos to toy with.

The file name states the lens attached to the body. I will update from time to time with more lens samples.

Thanks for the RAW files. That alone just made me reconsider getting one, There is a lot of noise even at 320 ISO. Also, your 800mm is incredibly soft, I don't know if it needs to be Micro Adjusted or you simply shot at a low shutter speed (A lot were at 1/200th). Either way, for a $13,000 lens, that is insanely soft :-)

Canon C200 | Canon 5D Mark IV | 16-35 f4L IS USM | 24-105mm f4L
50mm STM | 70-200mm f2.8L II | 100-400mmL II | 400mm f2.8L IS USM
Previously Owned: 1DX Mark II | Canon 5D Mark IV | 7D Mark II | 1D Mark IV

dolina
Goldmember
4,824 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 22, 2015 05:52 |  #1357

DJHaze596 wrote in post #17605872 (external link)
Thanks for the RAW files. That alone just made me reconsider getting one, There is a lot of noise even at 320 ISO. Also, your 800mm is incredibly soft, I don't know if it needs to be Micro Adjusted or you simply shot at a low shutter speed (A lot were at 1/200th). Either way, for a $13,000 lens, that is insanely soft :-)

Some explanations

- dog was moving
- i have not been photographing for the past 2 months
- lens + 5ds r needs to be calibrated.

I sent in my 800 + 7D Mark II for calibration with Canon. Will pick it up by Wednesday.

Visit my Flickr (external link), Facebook (external link) & 500px (external link) and see my photos. :)

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,189 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 22, 2015 05:52 |  #1358

I did download a couple of shots, thanks for posting them. My initial reaction is that the shots show a fair bit of noise, but that said pulling out shadow detail seems to be quite good and not at all splotchy as with earlier bodies. so I guess there has to be a trade-off!

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 22, 2015 09:52 |  #1359

The high-ISO capabilities are interesting in terms of this camera's potential use as a wildlife camera - the combination of a full-frame sensor, high pixel density and a capable AF system would be almost ideal for this.

What has your experience of the 5Ds's AF system been like, specifically with regards to speed and accuracy in tracking erratic, fast-moving subjects.

Has anyone formally tested the dynamic range of the production model?

ksbal
Goldmember
2,743 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 22, 2015 10:33 |  #1360

I believe the DR has been tested by one source to be 12.4

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
9,253 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 22, 2015 10:35 |  #1361

yup here's the source,

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17598334

i don't know anything about this guy or his methods.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 22, 2015 11:03 |  #1362

ksbal wrote in post #17606434 (external link)
I believe the DR has been tested by one source to be 12.4

Disappointing, but hardly surprising.

The graph suggests that, with an up-to-date A/D conversion system, the sensor should be capable of 14.6 stops at ISO 100, or 15.6 stops if ISO 50 were native.

Instead, the DR advantage over the 5D3 is mostly due to the increased resolution.

Looking forward to the 5Ds2, which I suspect won't be too far behind the 5D4 if it uses the new dual-ISO-readout technology first seen in the C300 Mk 2. It would be just such an obvious and huge improvement to the capabilities and potential audience of the 5Ds it wouldn't make any sense not to do it.

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by tvphotog.

Jun 22, 2015 11:06 |  #1363

dolina wrote in post #17604001 (external link)

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your feedback. I didnt do any denoising on the image whatsoever. ;) I was seeing if anyone would notice the noise at ISO 2,500. Will post ISO 5,000 and see where it goes

David,

That was a consideration. In truth I've been a bit antsy getting a 5D body since I discovered the 5D3 was incompatible with my lens without the lens being opened up for a parts swap.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/uC5Z​NN  (external link)
5DS R + 800mm (external link) by alabang (external link), on

Camera
Canon EOS 5DS R
Lens
Focal Length
800mm
Shutter Speed
1/200 s
Aperture
f/5.6
ISO/Film

Did you purposely shoot any tight patterns to see how bad the moire is?

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,962 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 22, 2015 11:10 |  #1364

I have been experimenting with raw files that have been variously made available and I am quite impressed. I cannot find even a trace of the pattern noise that plagued Canon sensors for far too long. Shadow recovery, while still no match for Sony's sensor, seems impressive for a Canon sensor and generally satisfactory to me. Though not as clean as a D810 raw file, at low-ISO the noise seems even aesthetically pleasing to me; a fine natural-looking grain. I am admittedly phobic about noise, but I haven't seen anything yet that offends me.

One of my preferred camera gear reviewers Lloyd Chambers (because he almost exclusively focuses on image quality) has historically been a Canon-loather. But, he is making some remarkably positive comments about the 5DS R as he is developing his image-quality-based review. Just a small sampling of some of his praises for the 5DS R: http://diglloyd.com …8-Canon5DSR-comments.html (external link)

Regarding wildlife photography, there are some excellent examples being posted on the FM Forum: http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/13707​47/8 (external link) The level of detail and sharpness is impressive.

Since its announcement back in February my interest in the 5DS R has fluctuated and waivered, but now that I am seeing images my interest level has peaked to its highest level. Sure, I do wish the DR was a bit better, but on the whole I feel Canon has done enough (50 MP, zero pattern noise, improved shadow recovery, etc.) to captivate my interest and strong likelihood of purchasing.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, FE 50mm ZA, Batis 85mm

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 22, 2015 11:57 |  #1365

David Arbogast wrote in post #17606465 (external link)
I have been experimenting with raw files that have been variously made available and I am quite impressed. I cannot find even a trace of the pattern noise that plagued Canon sensors for far too long. Shadow recovery, while still no match for Sony's sensor, seems impressive for a Canon sensor and generally satisfactory to me. Though not as clean as a D810 raw file, at low-ISO the noise seems even aesthetically pleasing to me; a fine natural-looking grain. I am admittedly phobic about noise, but I haven't seen anything yet that offends me.

Pattern noise in the shadows is certainly one thing that made the 5D2 (and, to a lesser extent, the 5D3) less than ideal for landscapes - in the case of the 5D2, it made the usable DR closer to 7 stops than 11 stops. 12 usable stops is certainly a huge improvement, but still puts it a 2-stop GND filter away from Sony/Nikon.

As anyone who shoots landscapes knows, a two-stop GND is often the difference between a great shot and no shot at all.

Regarding wildlife photography, there are some excellent examples being posted on the FM Forum: http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/13707​47/8 (external link) The level of detail and sharpness is impressive.

Since its announcement back in February my interest in the 5DS R has fluctuated and waivered, but now that I am seeing images my interest level has peaked to its highest level. Sure, I do wish the DR was a bit better, but on the whole I feel Canon has done enough (50 MP, zero pattern noise, improved shadow recovery, etc.) to captivate my interest and strong likelihood of purchasing.

I'm interested in this camera mostly as a wildlife camera. It may not have the low-ISO DR of a landscape camera, but its performance at ISO 800-3200 is as good as any other. The combination of full-frame sensor and high pixel density essentially turns every supertele into a zoom lens, with full-frame image quality and a wider angle of view when the subject fills the frame, but with image quality equal or better than a crop-sensor camera when some cropping is needed.

sponsored links

294,543 views & 241 likes for this thread
OFFICIAL : 5DS and 5DS R Announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.