Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 30 May 2015 (Saturday) 02:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon to Nikon to Canon

sega62
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 13, 2015 17:42 |  #31

tim wrote in post #17577580 (external link)
Nikon controls are very very different from Canon. I'd say Canon is easier to use, and probably better, but Nikon is good once you get used to it.

Never get use to something bad, that is my take on it, the back wheel on Canon is THE game changer, its fast!!!!!!!!!

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,962 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 13, 2015 19:43 |  #32

sega62 wrote in post #17595802 (external link)
Never get use to something bad, that is my take on it, the back wheel on Canon is THE game changer, its fast!!!!!!!!!

Nikon isn't bad, it's just different. Once you get used to Nikon controls they may be slightly better, your hands never need to leave their shooting positions to change settings.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 13, 2015 22:38 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #33

Even with ISO on the left, where your face would be? I've always found changing settings on Nikon to be more problematic.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,962 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 14, 2015 00:07 |  #34

elrey2375 wrote in post #17596050 (external link)
Even with ISO on the left, where your face would be? I've always found changing settings on Nikon to be more problematic.

ISO is in my second finger. Press, turn dial, release, ISO is shown in the viewfinder. Great if you're a professional working in a hurry.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

jsecordphoto
In disbelief of how amazing I am
257 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Jun 14, 2015 02:33 |  #35

Comparing the d7000 to the 6d...of course you're much happier. I switched from the 6d to the d750 and couldn't be happier that I did. Your comparison is like saying you tried the chicken fingers at 2 restaurants, and then tried the filet minon at one place and you feel like it's much better

Nikon D750, Nikon 50 f1.8, Tokina 16-28 f2.8, Tamron 150-600
www.jsecordphoto.com (external link)

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 14, 2015 04:16 |  #36

Canon, Sony, Nikon, whatever ... nowadays cameras are quite equivalent at a comparative level ends of all brand !!
When someone ask me which camera is better, i answer > it depend of the 25 centimeters behind the viewfinder.

More seriously: i always recommend going to different camera shop/brands, hold the camera, try the buttons and the menu and at the end take the one with the ergonomics which fit the best for you ... unless you find the lenses you need in the other brands.

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

sega62
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 16, 2015 15:04 as a reply to  @ Reservoir Dog's post |  #37

I do agree so much on this.
People seems to have a need to validate their purchase.
Gee, we are not kids anymore, there is good in every products.
It depends of what you need, its only a tool, but for some cie they will send their trolls all over these forums to show the differences and make you spend your money.
Most cameras even the cheap one are too good for most amateurs over the web.
If you can nail light condition and the crucial moment you capture a great picture

wonderer
30 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by wonderer. (2 edits in all)

Jun 16, 2015 17:05 |  #38

quickben wrote in post #17576716 (external link)
Canon for years, started with film on an AE1P, then 10D, 5Dc and then a 600D. I really wasn't impressed with the files from the 600D compared to the 5D and by that time the only lens I had was a 35L, so I thought I'd see what all the fuss was about and sell up and get a Nikon.

Started with a D5100 and then quickly added a D7000. While the files were definitely better than the 600D, they weren't as good as the 5Dc up to ISO 3200. Obviously the 16mp sensor in these bodies wasn't the latest and greatest, but I was expecting night and day from all the nonsense getting machine gunned around POTN about Sony sensors kicking sand in Canon's eyes. I just wasn't seeing it that way. Then there was the lens issue. While the 28 1.8, 50 1.8, 85 1.8 lens collection I had were very good for a budget trinity of sorts, I was hankering for a decent 135mm and there just isn't one in Nikon land.

The main reason, however, was the way it felt in my hand. The D5100 felt like a kid's camera, even compared to it's main rival my old 600D, hence the purchase of the D7000. But even this didn't feel right. Too small and I couldn't get used to where the command dials were for changing aperture etc. Back-button AF was awkward as well.

So, here I am. Back with a FF Canon and I don't think I'll be leaving anytime soon.

I couldn't care less about being able to push the shadows +4 stops in post...

I started with Canon in first few years of my DSLR usage and since then have gone through a large variety of brands and cameras including Nikon. I think most brands including Canon offer great cameras. Currently I own cameras with both canon and sony sensors and to an extent I agree that the difference between Canon and Sony/Nikon sensors is exaggerated quite a bit on the forums.

However your post highlights that you (along with many others) don't actually have a clear idea of the area where those sensors differ. Canon FF sensors are as good or better than Nikon/Sony FF sensors at high ISO. And while the long standing Canon 18MP APS-C sensor was behind Sony/Nikon APS-C at high ISO, with 7DII Canon has caught up on high ISO even for APS-C. The difference between Canon vs Sony/Nikon sensors mainly exists at low ISO dynamic range. Whether that impacts you or not is a different story. For a large group of users that difference is not relevant, as is clear from a huge base of happy canon customers. However for those users who need that capability the difference is quite substantial and clear both in APS-C sensors as well as FF sensors.

Also I find your comparison of D7000 vs 600d ergonomics against my experience. Even though I prefer the canon control scheme and the ergonomics of the xxD and xD bodies over Nikon due to my early years spent with Canon, Canon 600D bodies are no where near as good as the D7000. Nikon has a different way of controlling things and for a canon user it takes time to get used to, just like a Nikon user would have a hard time when given a canon body.

Overall while I think you made a great choice in picking up a 6D, I think your brief and somewhat misguided exploration of Nikon world only shows that a long time canon user is likely to prefer Canon just like a long time Nikon user would likely prefer Nikon.

elitejp
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 17, 2015 01:14 |  #39

jsecordphoto wrote in post #17596224 (external link)
Comparing the d7000 to the 6d...of course you're much happier. I switched from the 6d to the d750 and couldn't be happier that I did. Your comparison is like saying you tried the chicken fingers at 2 restaurants, and then tried the filet minon at one place and you feel like it's much better

haha thats funny, and I agree with it. In any case the 6d is quite the camera for the price. But I woudlnt consider it big and heavy like the op wants. All in all the op finally got something he liked and thats what matters

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

Jon_Doh
869 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 22, 2015 14:02 |  #40

tim wrote in post #17596114 (external link)
ISO is in my second finger. Press, turn dial, release, ISO is shown in the viewfinder. Great if you're a professional working in a hurry.

I can do the same thing with my Canon.

I use a Kodak Brownie

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
8,498 posts
Gallery: 1802 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 02, 2015 21:43 |  #41

I think sometimes a camera is "just right" i once had a camera and i loved the feel of it in my hands, the sound of its shutter and film advance, the viewfinder display, the build, and even the look of it from all angles, even the fact that it was one of the first AFSLR cams to have a 5 frame per second shutter, i was in love.

P.

Some stuff.

Pagman
8,498 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 02, 2015 21:48 |  #42

You may think i am crazy but one of my greatest buzzes was getting a Ricoh XRX film camera, it was full tech and just exciting.

P.

Some stuff.

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Jul 02, 2015 22:37 |  #43

I learned the D750 in a day after shooting the 5DIII for three years. Difference is not that big of a deal, at least for me. Also, comparing the D7000 to the 6D is apples to oranges. I loved the D300 but hated the D7000, and also if you're shooting landscape or chillax photos, then of course the 6D or D610 will be better for that purpose than a D7xxx or a 60D or whatever.

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

Pagman
8,498 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 22, 2015 19:56 |  #44

I was a Nikon D7100 user now I am a 7D user.

P.

Some stuff.

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Reservoir Dog. (5 edits in all)

Jul 23, 2015 01:03 |  #45

It is people which create rivalries, sure there are also in any technology that's somewhat expensive..
But when you commit a few thousand bucks to one thing, you kind of say something about yourself in that choice. You often want to defend your choice by defending the brand in general, even when things get into silly comparisons (like "the button is better here", "this one has a smoother wheel", and so on).
You certainly don't want some fool coming along and telling you you're wrong and that the other guys are better.
So as stupid as they usually are, there is no hard logic behind most those rivalries.
What's good for someone doesn't necessarily fit another people needs.

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

sponsored links

8,506 views & 10 likes for this thread
Canon to Nikon to Canon
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.