Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 25 Jun 2011 (Saturday) 23:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GARY FONG? BRACKET???

The ­ Shaheen
406 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 27, 2011 08:16 |  #16

digital paradise wrote in post #12664135 (external link)
I got a pretty wicked personal backlash from Mr. Fong himself on another forum. It was a little joke about the creation of the puffer my lighting instructors told me and I posted that. I got him a little angry. I think around here you are free to state your opinion but I think they frown on flaming. Personally I like that very much.

That is the issue when you can't work with directional lighting. Not sure what the answer to that one is. My instructors bounce if they can and if they can't they shoot direct with a bracket. I adopted that and my flash life is much simpler.

Amen too.. You don't need these in Oz, the natural light is brill as you go East..

I discovered this by luck the other day, in a real shoot... I have a Custom Bracket (similar to this http://www.custombrack​ets.com …ackets/cb-junior-kit.html (external link)) with a foldable arm...

I got hit so many times in the street by fat tourists, the screws holding the hotshoe were causing damage to the camera body.. Cost me about $200/300 to get it fixed everytime.. Got fed up and bought a bracket+hotshoe cord...

As i was shooting, the screw on top of the bracket handle came loose, the whole arm rotated, extended and the flash weight with it... The flash+the Better bounce diffuser ended uo, upside down, at 6 o'clock position.. So the light was bouncing from underneath the subjects and it looked really natural...

I just carried on shooting like that..

I would be interested to read that, about what got Mr Fong angry and his reaction... Have you got a link to that thread or post, by any chance..

"Tt's not the Devil in the details, it's God!"
https://photography-on-the.net …p=11498080&post​count=2620

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,920 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 27, 2011 09:24 |  #17

Well I'm not all that comfortable with this but here it goes. Gary, If you are reading this again it was just humour. I am quite certain your manufacturing systems are just and meet highest standards.

I'm Zee

http://forums.dpreview​.com …rum=1025&messag​e=35738250 (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 27, 2011 09:28 |  #18

hahaha that's hilarious thanks for posting that!

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 27, 2011 09:39 |  #19

I gotta say Gary has a point, though. Anyone with 6200 posts on a forum really needs to get a life.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

The ­ Shaheen
406 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 27, 2011 09:40 as a reply to  @ smorter's post |  #20

That's very funny..

Nothing to be embarrassed about.. you rattled him...

You must have thought.. Where the hell did he show up from?

"Tt's not the Devil in the details, it's God!"
https://photography-on-the.net …p=11498080&post​count=2620

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,920 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 27, 2011 09:43 |  #21

Curtis N wrote in post #12664567 (external link)
I gotta say Gary has a point, though. Anyone with 6200 posts on a forum really needs to get a life.

Yeah I'm not quite at 16,748 yet but I'm working on it ;)

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,920 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 27, 2011 09:51 |  #22

The Shaheen wrote in post #12664573 (external link)
That's very funny..

Nothing to be embarrassed about.. you rattled him...

You must have thought.. Where the hell did he show up from?

Well those were not my words, but my instructors words but I got a laugh out of it. I like that place. A local family run business. They told they could have sold Fong products and made money but elected not to. During my course they never pushed any products - all just technical approach to lighting.

I must admit I do have a use for the puffers. I use them on my MT 24EX Macro Twin Light. I followed one macro person who just did amazing work with bugs and he used them. They are quite a bit bigger than the bugs. Again little on the costly side and with what I know now I probably could have used pieces from a milk jug.

Image Editing OK

roresteen
Hatchling
1 post
Joined May 2015

May 29, 2015 10:08 |  #23

This thread is old I know and gist of it seems negative towards GF's diffuser system.

My thoughts after using the "Fong Bong" for 4 years on many paid and charity grin and grip gigs...

1. The TTL light it makes with my Canon EOS system is consistent and flattering in otherwise tough lighting conditions.

2. I shoot in the studio for half of my work and can light as well or better than the next guy...and I am picky.

3. Yes you can get away with making your own, using a bounce card, using the Demb "Flip-It", among other things. All viable options of course.

4. Yes, I have had the diffusers fall off a couple times...it's an easy fix with either a couple of Velcro pads fastened to the speed light and GFLS, or a simple small bungie wrapped around the light which no one can really see. If they did, who cares - most strobist types have always prided themself's with a little gaffer tape and what not anyway. For the pro it's a tool; you get the shot and move on.

5. The best advice mentioned in this thread and with anything photography, is to try it yourself. Only you know what ultimately is best for you. It could be a waste if money or a much needed, well spent piece of equipment that will perform for you. Some have callously thrown out advice here not to get it and have some issue with the "sales pitch" as if nothing advertised in the camera world isn't hyped and pitched!!! BS and photographic advertising have been going hand in hand since the 40's, truth be told. Get over it.

I just got my 3rd GFLS, the collapsible rubber model and it rocks. I will put it on a bracket, dial in my flash +/- and call it a day. The bracket is more for balance than anything. Is the GFLS perfect? No. Does it render beautiful and consistent light? Absolutely, imo. For quick snaps that people want at black tie galas, I think it's perfect.

Some may want the discreteness if a Stofen diffuser on the speed light and the results are still going to be good. I could get away with it, though in some shots the light will be a tad harsher and not as flattering, though, we all know what looks good and doesn't is a matter of subjectivity and taste.

If you are on the fence can about getting the Lightsphere, I would say go to a camera store if there is one near you and simply try it out. Compare the results with the other diffussers or you home made remedy. Only then will you really know for sure. If there is no store near you, go ahead and buy one, try it. If its not for you simply return it to the retailer. If the retailer does not have at least a 30 day return policy, shop some where else.

I have used the Stofen diffuser, the Demb Flip-it, white paper stock among other things all with good results. They all work. However, my experience has been that the GFLS gives me the best chance for really good light in quick moving situations. Sometimes you have one click to get it right and these have served me well over the years. People will long forget the funny little thing attached to the camera but will enjoy the quality you can deliver over what they might be used to in the past.

www.roboresteen.com (external link)

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 22, 2015 20:49 |  #24

Oh dear! Yes, please get rid of the Fong Dongs. Who wants something like looks like a male anatomy part on their flash anyway? Bouncing is the best way to do and when you can't bounce, try using abetterbouncecard and you can even make your own. In areas where there is nothing to bounce from I always revert to my bounce cards with a cto gel on my flash. All Gary's products do is waste power. I mean why in the world do you want to send light all around the room, waste all that power when your subject is in front of you? When you have white walls and ceiling (the only circumstance that the lightspheres work good) you can bounce, need for it. And did you see all of Gary's videos on it? It is used in rooms with surfaces you can bounce from in the beginning.

I gave mine away and the guy I gave it to got so disgusted with it he gave it away also. And my Stoffen is used as a seed cup for my parakeet.

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 22, 2015 20:52 as a reply to  @ The Shaheen's post |  #25

Well, Gary is widely known for being very arrogant. He thinks his opinion is the only correct one around and no matter what proof you give, he still thinks you are wrong and he is always right. His Christmas group shooting lessons were so under exposed it is pitiful. He can't take any criticism at all, he needs to grow up, mature and accept that not everyone worships the ground he walks on. Shucks, the photographers who shot his wedding didn't even use any of his products - that says a lot there.

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 22, 2015 20:55 as a reply to  @ roresteen's post |  #26

You need to learn light. When you learn light and how to use it you will see just how much money was wasted on his products and just how much you do not need them at all.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,094 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 22, 2015 21:28 |  #27

gonzogolf wrote in post #12659392 (external link)
The Fongs only work in limited circumstances, ...

Another good use is to pack that left over mushroom ravioli with white whine cream sauce for lunch..

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,094 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 22, 2015 21:32 |  #28

smorter wrote in post #12663664 (external link)

But where you can't bounce the flash (i.e. outdoors or in VERY large rooms (black surfaces are fine though)), there was a small, but definite improvement over direct flash - this is not unexpected given the Fong Dong is about 3X as big surface area as a direct flash head. Also unexpected, was a piece of paper behind your flash the same size gives the same result

Right, there are cases where a little diffusion may help soften the blow, but it's not really doing what a softbox does by a long shot, and what it (the fong) is doing can easily be replicated with a piece of white packing material, milk jug, or even a piece of white paper towel.

Mostly your loosing a lot of flash power and money to get the same results that any diffusion will offer. which is not a lot of result.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,094 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Jun 22, 2015 21:39 |  #29

Curtis N wrote in post #12664567 (external link)

Good thing for you AMASS doesn't show post count anymore!!! :)

Oh Wait, AMASS 1.33, dude the gig is UP!!!
We both live in our mothers basements and blog about Iron man movies!
(or make full scale working sheet metal Iron Man suits?? Anyone? no? ) ROFL!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,094 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 22, 2015 21:42 |  #30

Aaargh all of that on a thread revival.. must read date on 1st post!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

sponsored links

6,525 views & 1 like for this thread
GARY FONG? BRACKET???
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.