Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 22 Jul 2014 (Tuesday) 11:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does the Yongnuo 603 II pass thru TTL info?

sangyup
135 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 22, 2014 11:18 |  #1

I'm wondering if I were to mount the 603 II to my camera hotshoe and then mount a TTL flash to the 603, will the 603 II pass thru the TTL info? Or will I need to use the TTL flash in manual mode?

The scenario would be I would have 2 x manual flashes (YN-560III) set up off camera set at 1/4 power or whatever and I would use the 603 II to remotely trigger them. This I know works perfectly, but I would like to add a TTL flash to my camera and use the TTL function combined with the manual power of the OCF. Is this possible with the the 603II triggers?

Sean
Fuji X100S | Nikon D500 | Nikon D800 | Nikon D300 w/MB-D10 | Tokina 12-24 f/4 | 17-55 f/2.8DX | 20 f/1.8G | 24-70 f/2.8 | 35 f/1.8DX | 50 f/1.8D | 85 1.8G | 70-200 f/2.8VRII | 70-210 f/4 | 70-300VR | 105VR | 105 1.4E | 200-500 f/5.6E | SB-800 | YN 560III x 2 | Gitzo 3541LS w/ RRS BH-55 | Gitzo 1541T w/ Markins Q3TRED

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,482 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 22, 2014 11:24 |  #2

nope. manual only.

http://flashhavoc.com/​yongnuo-rf-603-ii-released/ (external link)

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,662 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 23, 2014 16:54 |  #3

I have 3 sets of the Calumet branded Phottix Stratos Triggers that cost $75 at Calumet, cheaper online if you can find the Stratos. It does E-TTL pass through and Manual Triggering OCF with 4 channels to select from or All channels to choose from. Newer version called Stratos2 offers more....

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 40/2.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 77mm 500D Macro, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 8 MDH, 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,135 posts
Gallery: 1603 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 23, 2014 17:01 |  #4

sangyup wrote in post #17048413 (external link)
I'm wondering if I were to mount the 603 II to my camera hotshoe and then mount a TTL flash to the 603, will the 603 II pass thru the TTL info? Or will I need to use the TTL flash in manual mode?

The scenario would be I would have 2 x manual flashes (YN-560III) set up off camera set at 1/4 power or whatever and I would use the 603 II to remotely trigger them. This I know works perfectly, but I would like to add a TTL flash to my camera and use the TTL function combined with the manual power of the OCF. Is this possible with the the 603II triggers?

Heya,

I have the RF603CII and I use the 565EX TTL mounted to it, in ETTL mode. I use the 603CII to wirelessly trigger a 560III that is in manual. They both flash. The 565EXL fires in TTL and functions fine (camera is set to use ETTL). 560III fires at whatever I manually set it to. So to answer your proposed question, yes, it works. And I use that exact setup. TTL works fine from the on-camera seated on the RF603CII transceiver. And the manual flashes fire as they're told. Great way to mix things, inexpensively.

I know the manual/website says it shouldn't. But it works, as I have it and it's working. So who knows?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

draderusa
317 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 24, 2014 20:42 |  #5

MalVeauX wrote in post #17051585 (external link)
Heya,

I have the RF603CII and I use the 565EX TTL mounted to it, in ETTL mode. I use the 603CII to wirelessly trigger a 560III that is in manual. They both flash. The 565EXL fires in TTL and functions fine (camera is set to use ETTL). 560III fires at whatever I manually set it to. So to answer your proposed question, yes, it works. And I use that exact setup. TTL works fine from the on-camera seated on the RF603CII transceiver. And the manual flashes fire as they're told. Great way to mix things, inexpensively.

I know the manual/website says it shouldn't. But it works, as I have it and it's working. So who knows?

Very best,

This is quite a surprise because the RF603ii does not have enough pins on top for full ETTL communication. It only has enough contacts for the wake up feature for a sleeping flash. I do not have a YN-565 so I can not confirm its behavior but I just placed a 600EX-RT on top of a 603ii and tried to access the external flash function menu on the camera. As expected, the camera will not open the menu and states: "an incompatible flash is attached". When I ignore the camera menu and set the flash itself to ETTL I get a full dump. Yongnuo says this is NOT full ETTL passthrough and this is confirmed by the oracle of all things flash, Elv, in his www.flashhavoc.com (external link) review of the 603. I am sincerely pleased that you somehow have this working on your particular set of equipment I don't want others to be disappointed when it doesn't work for them. The fact that yours works is just this side of a miracle.

Dave
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS T4i -- EFS 18-135 STM, EFS 10-22 USM, EF 40 f2.8 STM, EF 50 f1.4, 600EX-RT (3), YN-E3-RT, AD-360, FT16 (2), YN560II, YN622C (4), YN622C-TX

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,135 posts
Gallery: 1603 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 24, 2014 21:34 |  #6

draderusa wrote in post #17054285 (external link)
This is quite a surprise because the RF603ii does not have enough pins on top for full ETTL communication. It only has enough contacts for the wake up feature for a sleeping flash. I do not have a YN-565 so I can not confirm its behavior but I just placed a 600EX-RT on top of a 603ii and tried to access the external flash function menu on the camera. As expected, the camera will not open the menu and states: "an incompatible flash is attached". When I ignore the camera menu and set the flash itself to ETTL I get a full dump. Yongnuo says this is NOT full ETTL passthrough and this is confirmed by the oracle of all things flash, Elv, in his www.flashhavoc.com (external link) review of the 603. I am sincerely pleased that you somehow have this working on your particular set of equipment I don't want others to be disappointed when it doesn't work for them. The fact that yours works is just this side of a miracle.

Heya,

I know it says it shouldn't be possible. Dunno why mine works. But if it didn't work, how is it possible that it alters power level appropriately in each room at different ambient light levels? I just don't know. But it is working. Maybe it's just not working perfectly? But so far, the images don't seem to show a problem.

Again, dunno why it works, it just seems to be working fine. It's weird.

And not trying to trick someone into getting them thinking it's 100% legit for them. I don't know why it's working for me (XSi, 650D, EOS-M and 5D for reference).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

malow
169 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 18, 2015 13:31 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #7

i replaced my triggers with 603ii, and will try to mod with the circuit from a pixel Tf-321 (that do ttl pass-thru) to make a 603ii with pass-thru. wish me luck ;)

mods: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/malow/ (external link)

malow
169 posts
Joined May 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by malow.

Jun 23, 2015 02:59 as a reply to  @ malow's post |  #8

Done. Working wonderfully ;)

TF-321 circuit is the same size as the original yongnuo, so it was easy to replace the lower board.

"Filtered" output from the circuit is fed to RF-603II input, and all the pins are pass-thru to the RF-603ii hotshoe. Full E-TTL on-camera with off-camera manual flashes (keeping the wake-up function).

added the extra two pins that the top hot-shoe does not have. shaved a bit of plastic from the top that was causing the 580EXII to have a difficult locking (the top plastic have a "bump" that presses the rubber on the 580exii feet.

added also the wiring and connection to my "portrait hot-shoe" mod ;)

this flash triggers are very "mod-able", as they are single-pin friendly (rf-602 was way more complex to mod)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

mods: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/malow/ (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,482 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 23, 2015 08:01 as a reply to  @ malow's post |  #9

i don't have the slightest clue as to how you did such a thing,  :p but you ought to start a thread in the DIY and Customizing forum:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=145

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 23, 2015 08:04 |  #10

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17607488 (external link)
i don't have the slightest clue as to how you did such a thing,  :p but you ought to start a thread in the DIY and Customizing forum

Seriously. I'd subscribe.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

sponsored links

4,908 views & 1 like for this thread
Does the Yongnuo 603 II pass thru TTL info?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.