Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 23 Jun 2015 (Tuesday) 05:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rebel XT, Alien Bees B800, 580EX Speedlight, Weak Studio

FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 23, 2015 08:59 |  #16

Lol, didnt check the shipping....sorry

What i would do with the gear you have :

Remove all the modifiers from the B800
Place light on full power
Place light 8-12 feet from stage
Angle the light head so it bounces about where you want it too off a white ceiling
Set camera on ISO 200/F5.6/60sec
Test fire
Fidget with the settings, one at a time.
It should give you fairly even lighting, while not exciting will be adequate
When your triggers come in connect on to the 580EX either as a hair light or background light

This all assumes that where you testing the setup is similar or identical to where the event is?

sponsored links
nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by nathancarter. (3 edits in all)

Jun 23, 2015 09:23 |  #17

Thoughts:

AV and ETTL are your problem. Stop using them for this sort of thing. Put away the Speedlight* and get a radio trigger.

Set the camera on manual mode, 1/160 shutter, ISO200, f/8.
Set the B800 to whatever power level will properly expose the subjects. Start at 1/4 which should be pretty close unless the light is very far from the subjects**. Trigger the B800 with the radio trigger/receiver.

* If you want to get fancy, you can use the Speedlight as a hair or kicker light. Set it to manual mode, it'll need maybe 1/8 power. Put the radio receiver on the Speedlight and set the B800 to optical slave mode so you don't need to buy a second receiver***.

** If you still need more power, you can open up the aperture to f/5.6 and maybe bump up the ISO. But the B800 should be plenty even at 1/4 or 1/2 power, unless it's really far away from the subjects, so if it's at full power and still underexposing, you're doing something else wrong. If 1/4 power is too bright, turn ISO down to 100 then start dropping the flash power until you get proper exposure.

*** If there are other people around who are also using flashes, optical slave mode is not a good solution; you'll need a second receiver for the B800.

I just did a photo booth this weekend with a single Elinchrom D-lite-it 2 for my light source; camera settings were (I think) 1/160, f/5.6, ISO200. The D-lite is only a 200W/s unit, and it was firing through a strip box with two diffusion panels at about 1/4 power. The light was about 8 feet from the subjects. Your B800 is 320W/s so you should have plenty of power for a simple photobooth unless you're setting up the light far, far away from the subjects.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

ForeverVinylDJs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 23, 2015 09:48 |  #18

FerozeK wrote in post #17607540 (external link)
Lol, didnt check the shipping....sorry

What i would do with the gear you have :

Remove all the modifiers from the B800
Place light on full power
Place light 8-12 feet from stage
Angle the light head so it bounces about where you want it too off a white ceiling
Set camera on ISO 200/F5.6/60sec
Test fire
Fidget with the settings, one at a time.
It should give you fairly even lighting, while not exciting will be adequate
When your triggers come in connect on to the 580EX either as a hair light or background light

This all assumes that where you testing the setup is similar or identical to where the event is?

I am setting it up as it will be at the reception. Using the PLM seems much better than trying to bounce off the high wooden ceiling that isnt reflective and would color the light.

Forgot keys to the storage unit, so not
Picking up the truss and curtain parts I needed from there today. They are a door away! Frack! Tomorrow.

DJ Clint White
www.forevervinyldjs.co​m
www.clintrichardwhite.​com
913-219-5164

ForeverVinylDJs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 23, 2015 09:52 |  #19

nathancarter wrote in post #17607561 (external link)
*** If there are other people around who are also using flashes, optical slave mode is not a good solution; you'll need a second receiver for the B800.

Frack, I keep forgetting about this part! The photographer will be there, so I will need to run them both by cable or wireless trigger!

Is that setup linked from B&H above enough to trigger both? Eg transmitter and two receivers? Thanks.

DJ Clint White
www.forevervinyldjs.co​m
913-219-5164

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by nathancarter.

Jun 23, 2015 10:01 |  #20

ForeverVinylDJs wrote in post #17607592 (external link)
Frack, I keep forgetting about this part! The photographer will be there, so I will need to run them both by cable or wireless trigger!

Is that setup linked from B&H above enough to trigger both? Eg transmitter and two receivers? Thanks.

Doesn't look like it. It's a set of two devices, and each device can be set to either trigger or receiver mode. To work one camera with two flashes, you'll need three devices total (one set to trigger mode on the camera, one set to receiver mode on the B800, one set to receiver mode on the Speedlight).

Maybe order two sets of two (four devices total), then you'll have a spare or you'll be able to trigger a third flash some time in the future.

However, having said that: If you're not using a black curtain backdrop, you can get away without the Speedlight as a kicker/hair light. Don't introduce that additional complexity of a second light yet, until you can get it working properly with one camera and one light.

FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 23, 2015 12:19 |  #21

ForeverVinylDJs wrote in post #17607592 (external link)

It would probally be cheaper to just rent a couple pocketwizards for the weekend. One on each light, one as a receiver on the camera (unless u have a remote shutter) one for the guest. They reliable and fool proof and should have sufficient channels to not interfere with the photographer. Ive made lots of stupid purchase decisions over the years as I was rushed to get gear or didnt understand what I need so now i have lots of containers of gear and quite and expensive education.

With one light :
http://photographyconc​entrate.com/how-setup-simple-photo-booth/ (external link)
http://brianpowell.inf​o/how-to-light-a-photobooth/ (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by nathancarter.

Jun 23, 2015 12:46 |  #22

Those examples are pretty similar to how I set up. On Friday I was relegated to the hallway outside the reception/dinner/danci​ng area, but the bride and the planner did a good job of making sure everyone came out to see me. Not much room to work, but it was adequate. Shooting tethered with the 60D into Lightroom and immediately printing 4x6s with a custom watermark onto my slooowwwwww Pixma Pro9000.

Crummy iPhone snapshots of my setup, hosted on crummy Photobucket:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i229.photobucke​t.com …15D-9CD6-331EFBEB0146.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i229.photobucke​t.com …E84-AB07-1D21F2DED8A2.jpg (external link)

FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 23, 2015 13:04 as a reply to  @ nathancarter's post |  #23

I always tape the cables to the floor, its just waiting someone to hook it, especially when there's a crowd

Batman mask rocks bro!!!

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 23, 2015 13:16 |  #24

FerozeK wrote in post #17607853 (external link)
I always tape the cables to the floor, its just waiting someone to hook it, especially when there's a crowd

Batman mask rocks bro!!!

I usually do, but behind the light was just a corner/wall (nobody walked that way), and the other loose cable is the tether cable to the camera.

The Batman mask is a kids' size which is hilarious on an adult's head.

ForeverVinylDJs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 24, 2015 06:05 |  #25

FerozeK wrote in post #17607804 (external link)
It would probally be cheaper to just rent a couple pocketwizards for the weekend. One on each light, one as a receiver on the camera (unless u have a remote shutter) one for the guest. They reliable and fool proof and should have sufficient channels to not interfere with the photographer. Ive made lots of stupid purchase decisions over the years as I was rushed to get gear or didnt understand what I need so now i have lots of containers of gear and quite and expensive education.

I looked at some wireless setups, and got the extra hotshoe with cable for now. The wireless trigger for my camera is somewhere in the house, so I will probably have to buy another. Grrr.
Thanks for the links and all the help. I got everything firing in manual! Happy for now. Pics to follow

DJ Clint White
www.forevervinyldjs.co​m
913-219-5164

sagray
309 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2008

Jun 24, 2015 07:42 |  #26

You might also benefit from investing in a flash meter. That way you can get to your desired results quickly and accurately, without having to chimp it out. After some experience, it'll be easier to remember and eyeball the settings...but a meter is a great tool.

40D, 5D (Classic)
Sigma 17-35 EX, Canon Nifty Fifty, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L (non-IS), Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 135mm f/2L
2 AB400s, 1 Einstein, 2 Canon 580EXIIs, Canon 430EX, Vivitar 285HV, old Quantaray POS
flickr (external link) | Gray Imagery (external link)

FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 24, 2015 08:57 |  #27

ForeverVinylDJs wrote in post #17608792 (external link)
Thanks for the links and all the help. I got everything firing in manual! Happy for now. Pics to follow

Look forward to seeing them, best of luck for the event!

ForeverVinylDJs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 29, 2015 13:44 |  #28

sagray wrote in post #17608865 (external link)
You might also benefit from investing in a flash meter.

I looked at some the other day in the store... it has been on the list of to-buy stuff since the mid 1990s. Do you have a recommendation on one that is inexpensive?

DJ Clint White
www.forevervinyldjs.co​m
913-219-5164

sagray
309 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2008

Jun 29, 2015 14:23 as a reply to  @ ForeverVinylDJs's post |  #29

The Sekonic units are fairly commonplace, and you might be able to find a reasonable one on the used market. If you want new, there are a few options. My first was the Polaris SPD100, which currently sells for around $170.

After a quick B&H search, I see they offer an older style meter: Wein WP-1000, that seems to be getting decent reviews, for under a hundred bucks.

When you're looking, make sure that it's suitable for flash. Some light meters aren't designed to be used for flash measurements.

40D, 5D (Classic)
Sigma 17-35 EX, Canon Nifty Fifty, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L (non-IS), Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 135mm f/2L
2 AB400s, 1 Einstein, 2 Canon 580EXIIs, Canon 430EX, Vivitar 285HV, old Quantaray POS
flickr (external link) | Gray Imagery (external link)

ForeverVinylDJs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jul 03, 2015 13:00 |  #30

Here is the final product. The event went off without a hitch! I was the wedding reception DJ, and did this in substitution of a slideshow screen that was around $100-$200 extra, so I gave them a stellar deal. I spent around $1500 to set this all up.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Full description of the process to follow in the appropriate thread! The subjects were a creative bunch!

DJ Clint White
www.forevervinyldjs.co​m
913-219-5164

sponsored links

5,469 views & 7 likes for this thread
Rebel XT, Alien Bees B800, 580EX Speedlight, Weak Studio
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.