Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 23 Jun 2015 (Tuesday) 21:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DX or 5dMkIII?

mafpolo
104 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 23, 2015 21:12 |  #1

Still not sure which. Combo of racing and stills. I borrowed a 1DX, and it blew me away. The sharpness was like nothing I have ever experienced. I do own one 5dMkIII....it used to be a phenomenal machine until I sent it in for a clean and check. I don't know why I sent it in....I never send anything in unless it needs it. Went back in, and they repaired the sensor.....came back, and still not fixed. So, it is back at Canon. I don't know whether I should buy a second 5dMkIII or a 1DX.

Opinions very welcomed

sponsored links
itsallart
Cream of the Crop
9,779 posts
Gallery: 921 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015

Jun 23, 2015 21:26 |  #2

I have shot with both on occasions (rented unfortunately) but I can't tell you any specific details, perhaps this maybe useful http://snapsort.com …-vs-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III (external link)

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
500px (external link)
Etsy Store (external link)

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,301 posts
Gallery: 763 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 23, 2015 21:48 |  #3

Own 2 1Dxs and a 5DIII. The only time the 5DIII gets used is ungripped on holidays (lighter weight) or when I need a third camera at an event.

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

dexy101
Goldmember
2,364 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 23, 2015 22:42 |  #4

mafpolo wrote in post #17608468 (external link)
I borrowed a 1DX, and it blew me away. The sharpness was like nothing I have ever experienced.

Think you answered your own question there ;)

Ive owned a couple 5D3's now and loved them, I have a 1DIV now and its true what they say, "once you try a one series body, you won't want anything else" I'm very much in that category of people.

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 24, 2015 17:41 |  #5

Beware of the AF on the 1DX!
I was at a Rallycross meeting a few weeks ago and banged off 2800+ frames, yes I went a little silly.
Anyway after reviewing the images TWO were out of focus - I think I had better send my 1DX in for repair!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

mafpolo
THREAD ­ STARTER
104 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 26, 2015 07:29 as a reply to  @ johnf3f's post |  #6

I love it.....you had me going there for a minute.

Jim ­ Servies
102 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2014

Jun 26, 2015 15:48 |  #7

mafpolo wrote in post #17608468 (external link)
Still not sure which. Combo of racing and stills. I borrowed a 1DX, and it blew me away. The sharpness was like nothing I have ever experienced. I do own one 5dMkIII....it used to be a phenomenal machine until I sent it in for a clean and check. I don't know why I sent it in....I never send anything in unless it needs it. Went back in, and they repaired the sensor.....came back, and still not fixed. So, it is back at Canon. I don't know whether I should buy a second 5dMkIII or a 1DX.

Opinions very welcomed

You're going to love the 1Dx Mark. Packing it up for you today!

palad1n
Goldmember
1,769 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 02, 2015 11:30 |  #8

I would like to know, like seriously, what is the difference in term of sharpness between 5DmkIII and 1DX? Aside from Mpx difference in favor of 5D....

I like 1DX, like a lot, i don´t own it, but there is NO difference regarding IQ... 1DX is a AF beast, much snappier than anything i tried so far, but face it, IQ is not that different.

Website (online) : www.lukaskrasa.com (external link)
Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/​photos/105393908@N03/ (external link)
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.c​om/lukaskrasaphoto/ (external link)
Instagram: https://instagram.com/​lukaskrasacom (external link)
Lukas

docholliday_sc001
My hypocrisy goes only so far.
235 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 02, 2015 12:08 as a reply to  @ palad1n's post |  #9

To a point, the 1Dx has the *potential* to be sharper when handheld and when tracking. It has the extra processors so it's faster, yes. But, it's heavier and larger, so gripping certain lenses can be more stable (expecially after holding one all day). Tracking is obviously faster, but in single-shot mode (with or without spot AF), I've always had faster lock-on and better performance in low-light.

I hated all the small bodies, with or without grips. Every time I've touched one, I've cringed. With all the other 1-series I've owned, they've been stable and predictable, especially once you learn the layout and the light's low.

Of course, that's coming from years in medium format. I've handheld Hasselblad's down to 2 seconds with an acceptable sharp image. People say that the 1's are all too big and bulky, but I find it rather the opposite, more comfortable, less hand fatigue. With an op-tech sling kit connected via the right top strap lug and bottom hole, I've walked around for 6 hours with a 70-200 II and not really felt any fatigue from the assembly.

docholliday_sc001
My hypocrisy goes only so far.
235 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 02, 2015 12:14 |  #10

palad1n wrote in post #17618116 (external link)
I would like to know, like seriously, what is the difference in term of sharpness between 5DmkIII and 1DX? Aside from Mpx difference in favor of 5D....

I like 1DX, like a lot, i don´t own it, but there is NO difference regarding IQ... 1DX is a AF beast, much snappier than anything i tried so far, but face it, IQ is not that different.

I actually have found it the opposite. There are quite a few situations where the 1Dx has a touch better quality. For a few camera shakedown outings, a colleague had a 5D3 and there were many shots (identical off the same tripod), where the 1Dx produced a cleaner file with less work. It has to do with the sensor amplifiers being off the die on the 1Dx vs where they are on the 5D3. The sensor readout is slightly different with a different board design and shielding (just take it apart and compare). Obviously at ISO100, not noticeable except that the 5D3 has a bit more data. However, I find that I like my 1Ds3 @ 100 better than his 5D3 shots in studio lighting.

marekp
44 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 03, 2015 12:16 |  #11

Hi,

How much is 1dx better than 5d3 in real world?
First when 5d3 came out, I bought it and 1ds3 left as a backup body.
But with heavy lenses, like 200 1.8L i feel 1d body much more support with built in grip.

I have shoot with 1ds3 and 5d3 cars (drag, drift, etc) and as far I can tell, if you know what you are doing, you can get both of them about same result (aiservo mode).
I shoot wedding(s) and hade change to test 1ds3 and 5d3 side by side. In dark they both had problem to lock focus, so I have difficult to belive people how told that 5d3 will focus very well in dark.

One thing what I don't like about 5d3 is black focus point in servo mode. They can' t been see in dark. I really liked red one in 1d4.
I don' t need 12fps, what 1dx offer. To be honest, for last year or so, 1ds3 is my main body and 5d3 is left for backup.

I just wan' t better focus in dark and these red focus point in servo mode.
And ofcourse 1d body. Weight isn' t issue for me, never have been. I don' t have big hands, but 1d feels much better in hans, than 5d3, even with grip.

So, my question is the same, how much is 1dx better than 5d3 in real world? Is it worth for two 5d3 price?

MFG
537 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 04, 2015 07:30 |  #12

i own both the 1dx and 5d3.

i shoot wedding with both.
my clients can't tell which photos are from which. i can't really tell either.

5D3 full raw is larger. 1dx seems to feel better in grip etc. the weight 5d3 smaller of course. 1dx can sync speed of 1/300 on off cam flash like elinchrom where the 5d3 can only do 1/200.
so full the things that make it diff are the lenses i use and i like to use on them.

i usually like my 70-200LII or 85LII or 100L on my 1dx

16-35LII, 24LII, 35L usually go to the 5d3. i tried the AF of 85LII on both, they are quite the same in getting focus. i know the 5d3 AF with 85LII has improved from the 5d2.

if u have the cash, you live once, why not try the 1dx and maybe the replacement of 1dx in future.
Scott

AIPP Accredited (Australia), WPJA
Professional Wedding, Newborn and Family Photographer
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/ScottGohPhotography (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/blog (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/babie​s-and-children/ (external link)

SierraHighPhoto
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 04, 2015 11:19 |  #13

If you plan on shooting sports where you need the FPS, I think you know where to go. I currently shoot with a 5D3, and find I'm going to eventually need the 1DX, or whatever is the camera of that specific time range. Just can't do the 6FPS when shooting baseball. Well, I guess I can, but I find I'm missing the ball just as it's about to enter the glove, and certain moments of the swing of the bat, etc.

sponsored links

2,356 views & 2 likes for this thread
1DX or 5dMkIII?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.