Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 10 Oct 2014 (Friday) 05:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

60D / 6D files to TV?

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 10, 2014 05:17 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I am new to video. I have LR 4, LR 5, PSE 12, DPP 3 and DPP 4. What is the easiest way to make my SLR videos viewable on a TV. TV has USB and HDMI. Thanks.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

sponsored links
SailingAway
386 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 12, 2014 17:55 |  #2

Buy a mini-hdmi to hdmi cable, and play the clips from your camera to the TV?

You can also invest in some *video* editing software, like Premiere Elements or Sony Vegas Video Studio. That would allow selecting your keepers, and rendering and burning to DVD or BR(?), or to upload to Youtube or Vimeo.

It's possible that your USB input on the TV will accept a flash drive; you could render your projects to a common format like MP4 1080i, load onto a flash drive, see if it plays. It really depends on the TV, though.

From the upper left corner of the U.S.
Photos, Video & Pano r us.
College and workshop instructor in video and audio.
70D, Sigma 8mm, Tokina f2.8 11-16, Canon EF-S f2.8 17-55, Sigma f2.8 50-150 EX OS, Tamron 150-600VC. Gigapan Epic Pro, Nodal Ninja 5 & R10.

GeoKras1989
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 12, 2014 19:30 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

I used a USB stick and tried direct USB connection to the camera. I could view stills, but not video. I don't think the TV understands .MOV files. I think I have an HDMI cable around somewhere, I'll give that a try. Is there a free 'converter' program available anywhere. I don't do enough video to make it worth paying for new software.

I know, I have a 15-year old niece who does make-up "how-to" videos on YouTube. She probably has something I can use.

JonKline
198 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 13, 2014 07:36 |  #4

I second that mini HDMI cable. Three bucks!

http://www.amazon.com …&keywords=mini+​hdmi+cable (external link)

Cinematographer Chicago (external link) | Milwaukee camera, lighting & grip (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Sony FS7 (external link)

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 13, 2014 21:46 as a reply to  @ JonKline's post |  #5

What I do is any videos I want to watch on my TV I convert to AVI and copy them onto a USB memory stick. My DVD player has a USB input so I slip the USB memory stick into that and in the DVD's menu select the video I want to watch.

The advantage of that is the sound is heard through my sound system. I rarely watch videos straight out of my camera. When I do I use the HDMI connection straight into the TV.

I'm relatively new to video but of late I've been shooting more and more video. Steep learning curve. Half the fun is editing video and rendering. Depending on the video editing programme ( I uses Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12) you use you can render many different formats and sizes, burn to DVD or upload to video hosting sites.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

RAINSDROPS
31 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 13, 2014 23:25 as a reply to  @ yogestee's post |  #6

Setup pc to tv. Either VGA to tv.
Graphics card to hdmi
Broadcast wireless from pc to tv

GeoKras1989
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 18, 2015 03:09 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

yogestee wrote in post #17211410 (external link)
What I do is any videos I want to watch on my TV I convert to AVI and copy them onto a USB memory stick. My DVD player has a USB input so I slip the USB memory stick into that and in the DVD's menu select the video I want to watch.

The advantage of that is the sound is heard through my sound system. I rarely watch videos straight out of my camera. When I do I use the HDMI connection straight into the TV.

I'm relatively new to video but of late I've been shooting more and more video. Steep learning curve. Half the fun is editing video and rendering. Depending on the video editing programme ( I uses Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12) you use you can render many different formats and sizes, burn to DVD or upload to video hosting sites.

Hi all. I am back for more abuse. The posting so far, except 'buy an HDMI cable' are over my head. Can you bring them down a notch, please? Above says convert to AVI. Convert what to AVI? My camera, my TV, the video file. What software do I need? If we are talking software, how do I get the AVI file to my TV? Will a USB stick work? Sorry, I haven't done video since my 8mm camera died about 50 years ago.

RAINSDROPS wrote in post #17211547 (external link)
Setup pc to tv. Either VGA to tv.
Graphics card to hdmi
Broadcast wireless from pc to tv

This one gets at total, "Whaaaa...???" My computer doesn't have a TV/PC switch. Set what to TV? VGA what to TV what? Is this a cable, a switch to flip, a file conversion?

What does Graphics card to HDMI mean? A setting? Moving hardware? Some sort of update/upgrade? No clue on this one.

Broadcast wireless from PC to TV. Sorry, I don't own a broadcast studio. If I did, I would likely already know how to view videos on my TV.

I am the unfortunate owner of two SLRs that can do video. From time to time, I just want to watch one of those videos on a 48" TV instead of a 3" LCD or computer screen. I have a 60D, 6D, LR 5.7 & DPP 3.x and 4.x. All I want to do is watch my video on the TV. If I buy an HDMI cable, can I just plug my camera into my TV and set the TV to HDMI? No desire to edit. Just want to watch. Thanks.

Lyn2011
581 posts
Gallery: 168 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 18, 2015 04:06 |  #8

I think Windows Movie Maker (free from Microsoft) can import mov files. Than you can edit and save it or burn a DVD in WMV (windows movie maker files) or MP4.
Importing video works just the same as importing photos to your computer.

GeoKras1989
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 18, 2015 04:16 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Lyn2011 wrote in post #17601548 (external link)
I think Windows Movie Maker (free from Microsoft) can import mov files. Than you can edit and save it or burn a DVD in WMV (windows movie maker files) or MP4.
Importing video works just the same as importing photos to your computer.

Thanks. So if I get Movie Maker, I can convert a .MOV from my camera to an .MP4 and put it on a USB stick to play on the TV? I tried a cable from the camera to the TV, but the aspect ratio on the TV was way wrong.

Lyn2011
581 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 18, 2015 04:23 |  #10

First copy the MOV to Movie Maker, than save it as MP4 or burn a DVD. I don't know if it works with a USB stick. I play the DVD on the TV. If the aspect ratio is not OK, in the menu of the TV you can change that to AUTO (doesn't work on our TV) or manual to the right ratio.

GeoKras1989
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 18, 2015 08:06 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Ok. I downloaded Movie Maker. I made a few movies on my 60D; just 30 second test clips. I used LR to import to disk. Opened the file in Movie Maker and saved as 'for High Definition Display'. It made .MP4 files. I have three TVs that will accept USB drives. I can pull up the drive on all of them. None of them recognize .MP4 files. Back to square one.

I can plug in a cable from the camera to the TV, using the Red/White/Yellow cable thing. That does play, but the aspect ratio is all wrong. I am recording in 1920x1080 @ 30 fps. Iwill try to adjust apect ratio on the TV.

Should I be in 30fps or 24fps? Does it matter? My 6D also has 'ALL-I' and 'IPB' options. Does that mean anything?

Thanks for any info you may have.

Lyn2011
581 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 18, 2015 21:24 |  #12

You can import the movies by using Movie Maker, without LR. But as long as it works for you with LR, fine.

I can pull up the drive on all of them. None of them recognize .MP4 files.

I think why this doesn't work, the movies need a program to play.

Should I be in 30fps or 24fps? Does it matter? My 6D also has 'ALL-I' and 'IPB' options. Does that mean anything?

Sorry, I don't knowabout that. I suppose you have NTSC, we have PAL and that is 25fps. And what ALL-I or IPB means, isn't that explained in the manual of the 6D?

I started with video about a year ago, but we have a Sony camera and the video on my SLR I don't use. Video is far more complicated than photography, sometimes I'm confused too.

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 24, 2015 11:13 |  #13

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17601693 (external link)
I can plug in a cable from the camera to the TV, using the Red/White/Yellow cable thing. That does play, but the aspect ratio is all wrong. I am recording in 1920x1080 @ 30 fps. Iwill try to adjust apect ratio on the TV.

You need to buy the HDMI cable with the mini connector on the camera end as previously suggested. This will preserve the HD signal and output correctly on your TV.

The reason the aspect ratio is all wrong using the RCA (red / white / yellow) cable is that cable supports only SD (standard definition) signals, which is 720x480. The yellow connector is for the video signal.

Joel

GeoKras1989
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by GeoKras1989.

Jun 24, 2015 19:15 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

joeblack2022 wrote in post #17609092 (external link)
You need to buy the HDMI cable with the mini connector on the camera end as previously suggested. This will preserve the HD signal and output correctly on your TV.

The reason the aspect ratio is all wrong using the RCA (red / white / yellow) cable is that cable supports only SD (standard definition) signals, which is 720x480. The yellow connector is for the video signal.

Ok, that makes sense to me. I will get an HDMI cable and try again.

I found these on Amazon. It looks like there are a bunch of different HDMI cables. Will either/both of these work?

http://www.amazon.com …ds=mini+HDMI+ca​mera+to+TV (external link)

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 26, 2015 12:11 |  #15

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17609631 (external link)
Ok, that makes sense to me. I will get an HDMI cable and try again.

I found these on Amazon. It looks like there are a bunch of different HDMI cables. Will either/both of these work?

Yes I bought a generic cable and didn't have any problems with it.

Joel

sponsored links

6,477 views & 0 likes for this thread
60D / 6D files to TV?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.