Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 21 Jun 2015 (Sunday) 14:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Video Newbie

Bearmann
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Location: I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.

Jun 21, 2015 14:58 |  #1

I'm thinking of making a youtube product demo video using my 5D II. I was thinking of picking up a corded lavalier microphone. I don't have any continuous lighting sources except household ceiling lights and lamps. I'll be using Vista 64 Premium Home Edition for several more months. It includes movie maker software. I also have CS6 and the Canon DPP software.

1) Will I need additional continuous lighting? If so, what's cheap and will get the job done?

2) If I place the camera on a tripod, will it be difficult to control the focus. I'll be showing close up details of the product as well as wide view shots.

3) Do I need additional software? I won't be making movies often. I just want the video to be acceptable in quality, not award winning. Then again, I don't want to pull my hair out using software that is difficult to use or not user friendly.

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.com (external link) (remove the dashes)

sponsored links
sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 22, 2015 09:03 |  #2

If you shoot the video during the day in an environment with lots of windows and natural light, then you will probably not need additional lighting. For a regular room with only residential artificial lights, it will not look like a pro video without additional lights for the person talking.

It is not hard to control focus on the camera on a tripod when you manually focus the shot and then turn off focus on the lens to keep it from changing. The camera does not autofocus smoothly or quickly- manual focus is best. Perhaps you can film the demo once at full wide angle and then do the close up and other shots in a separate take.

Only you can test and discover if the software you picked is right for you. Almost all video editors use more professional tools.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

Bearmann
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Location: I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.

Jun 22, 2015 10:05 as a reply to  @ sspellman's post |  #3

Thanks for your help, sspelman. I assume there are many who began with no prior experience like myself. Regarding the software, I know there are many who have been there, done that. I would like to use the software that I already have or can obtain for free, but if it's not practical, I would consider a small investment in something like Adobe Premier Elements or similar. I'm also trying to gauge the difficulty and the workload of the endeavor. If it's substantial, I may abandon the whole thing.

Barry

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,402 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 22, 2015 11:00 |  #4

I use Serif's Movie Plus X6 for editing, they have a freeby edition which I think is based on X5 which I used previously (not much different from X6)
http://www.serif.com …software/?mc=FS​SMOVIEPLUS (external link)

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

Bearmann
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 23, 2015 12:04 as a reply to  @ artyman's post |  #5

Thanks artyman. I appreciate the suggestion.

Barry

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,267 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 24, 2015 09:07 |  #6

I tried to download Serif and it just gave me some bloatware. no actual editing program. I downloaded, but haven't tried it, Davinci Resolve Lite by Blackmagic design: https://www.blackmagic​design.com …rt/family/davin​ci-resolve (external link). There is a link on the bottom part of that screen for Resolve LITE, which is FREE!

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 24, 2015 11:10 |  #7

Bearmann wrote in post #17605527 (external link)
I'm thinking of making a youtube product demo video using my 5D II. I was thinking of picking up a corded lavalier microphone. I don't have any continuous lighting sources except household ceiling lights and lamps. I'll be using Vista 64 Premium Home Edition for several more months. It includes movie maker software. I also have CS6 and the Canon DPP software.

If you have CS6, does that include Adobe Premiere Pro?

Joel

Bearmann
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 24, 2015 11:32 |  #8

joeblack2022 wrote in post #17609080 (external link)
If you have CS6, does that include Adobe Premiere Pro?

No, to my knowledge, it doesn't include any specific movie processing software. I wasn't sure if ACR or CS6 allowed you to do anything with movies.

Barry

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by joeblack2022.

Jun 24, 2015 11:45 as a reply to  @ Bearmann's post |  #9

Well if you are looking for free then you can try Lightworks, it is quite different from most of the editing applications out there but they have tutorials on their website to help you get started.

www.lwks.com (external link)

Joel

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,267 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 24, 2015 14:25 |  #10

premiere pro is not part of the photoshop program. You can get it off the cloud, if you have the higher priced subscription offering, or $20 a month individually.

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 24, 2015 14:41 |  #11

hawk911 wrote in post #17609313 (external link)
premiere pro is not part of the photoshop program. You can get it off the cloud, if you have the higher priced subscription offering, or $20 a month individually.

Yes it became apparent that the OP was referring to Photoshop CS6 and not an actual suite of products.

Not sure what Adobe was thinking when they decided to version their products based on the suite they were releasing at the time.

But it's okay now that everything is Creative Cloud..! -?

Joel

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,267 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 24, 2015 15:18 as a reply to  @ joeblack2022's post |  #12

they do the same thing with Elements- Premiere (video) and photoshop (images) are versioned the same.

ElTigreBlanco
564 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 02, 2015 16:22 |  #13

Tripod shooting for a product should be quite easy, I am on a Mac and the included iMovie application is enough for videos like what you describe. I would think you would be able to do all you are asking with just the 5D and the MovieMaker program you have. The audio would probably be the main weakness but might be fine in a controlled environment. I would think any decent microphone would produce good enough quality for your use but I haven't used one myself. I took a video at a wedding with my 6D, just sat it on a table, got focus and exposure, and the audio wasn't terrible with all the background noise that was present. The video was of the first dance with music playing from DJ speakers about ten feet away and people all around. I would just test what you have and see how that works before you buy anything.

I like to shoot things...sometimes with a camera!

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 20, 2015 13:06 |  #14

I use Corel 8. I pulled my hair out with Sony VEGAS.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

TDCat
256 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 21, 2015 17:12 |  #15

My thoughts would be...

1. Not really. Positioning subjects (or objects) well and using windows maybe even together with lamps to add atmosphere can look great. I often film stuff on our glass kitchen table which is right next to a large window. If you only have internal lights, try to use tungsten and not CFL (energy saver) bulbs for a far more natural and pleasing look.

2. It always takes some attention but don't worry too much if you need to adjust it a bit. As long as the adjustments are not harsh and quick, you probably won't even notice the small changes when you watch it back.

3. Premiere Elements is great but I know a lot of people have already made better suggestions on the software.

Just my opinions.

Photo, Video & Audio Reviews and Tutorials | tdcat.com (external link)
===============

sponsored links

6,693 views & 0 likes for this thread
Video Newbie
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.