Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 17 Apr 2015 (Friday) 04:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1Dx mark ii

this thread is locked
Robinson ­ Crusoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 18, 2015 01:29 |  #31

Although this became a 1Dx battery thread I would love to discuss about what to expect from the new 1Dx II.

I can't see much weakness in the old camera and to make people buy the new one increasing 3-5 megapixels or burst speed by 1-2 more shots won't be charming.

Lately a different idea is in my head. Idk how that technology works or if it's efficient but if they make a built in crop factor 1Dx II will become the complete camera. The only body it won't be able to compete will be 5Ds which I'm pretty sure canon wouldn't want that with the 4K price tag.

Gear List | Deviantart (external link) | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,669 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by smythie.

Jun 18, 2015 03:41 |  #32

crop modes are easy enough to do. a number of bodies already do it. I believe however that they are a waste of time. They don't offer any benefits other than file size over shooting un cropped and getting it the way you want in post.

but some things that could be improved are the battery, sensor resolution and cleanliness, connectivity ports e.g. USB 3 or C. Maybe even CFast or XQD card slots to help dump the huge buffer more quickly

Gear List

Robinson ­ Crusoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 18, 2015 03:44 |  #33

smythie wrote in post #17601537 (external link)
crop modes are easy enough to do. a number of bodies already do it. I believe however that they are a waste of time. They don't offer any benefits other than file size over shooting un cropped and getting it the way you want in post.

Oh i thought it was something mechanic or optic, if it's the software just a waste of time agreed.

Gear List | Deviantart (external link) | Flickr (external link)

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,669 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 18, 2015 03:46 |  #34

the crop modes I've seen on Sony and Nikon cameras just read less of the sensor. the viewfinders also mask off the frame in those I've used or seen

Gear List

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,465 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 18, 2015 09:23 |  #35

smythie wrote in post #17601537 (external link)

but some things that could be improved are the battery, sensor resolution and cleanliness, connectivity ports e.g. USB 3 or C. Maybe even CFast or XQD card slots to help dump the huge buffer more quickly

they do offer some value. Easier to see, possibly deeper buffer, smaller files to deal with in post.

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Seasalt
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by Seasalt.

Jun 24, 2015 00:13 |  #36

fish_shooter wrote in post #17546792 (external link)
You are welcome. I have another data point since I had a good day of shooting trout today.
A new batch of Sea-run Cutthroat Trout came in from the sea - correlating with the high-high tide (we have mixed semi-diurnal tides here) at ~0200, which is our true midnight.
This time I wrote things down:
After 3340 shots (camera provides this datum) the battery was down to 29% right after pulling the housing from the stream. After a warm up to room temperature, it is now at 37%. Looks like I should get near 5000 shots on a full charge. Plus or minus according to temperature and chimping (I did very little chimping).

Can I ask if you are shooting JPG or RAW, as I can never achieve that off one battery, shooting LRAW + small JPG?

As for a 1dx mark ii, I would like to see a quieter mirror slap/shutter operation.

fish_shooter
96 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2010

Jun 25, 2015 02:14 |  #37

Seasalt wrote in post #17608606 (external link)
Can I ask if you are shooting JPG or RAW, as I can never achieve that off one battery, shooting LRAW + small JPG?

As for a 1dx mark ii, I would like to see a quieter mirror slap/shutter operation.

All shots were raw. I did very little chimping but a lot of AF since I was shooting by wired remote control. I think sleep mode was in 15 seconds but not absolutely sure. The remote wakes the camera up plenty fast so I do not worry about this too much.

http://www.salmonograp​hy.com/ (external link)

someone0
436 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Jun 25, 2015 10:54 |  #38

Just a sidetrack comparison, since there was a lots of news on Sony lately, I think all the Sony mirrorless camera battery life are in the 300-400 range according to their spec sheet. We are looking at about 10x battery life between mirrorless and traditional dSLR.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 25, 2015 13:07 |  #39

someone0 wrote in post #17610230 (external link)
Just a sidetrack comparison, since there was a lots of news on Sony lately, I think all the Sony mirrorless camera battery life are in the 300-400 range according to their spec sheet. We are looking at about 10x battery life between mirrorless and traditional dSLR.

You're comparing a miniature camera to a large SLR with an inbuilt grip, most of which is taken up with battery.

I'd like to see what Sony manage to do when they bring out a mirrorless camera designed for performance rather than small size.

This obsession with 'smallness' at the expense of everything else (stemming from the early days of 2x crop m43 bodies which weren't expected to compete on performance or be used by professionals) really hurts mirroless cameras. Pretty much all the deficiencies of current mirrorless bodies - slow AF, low battery life, EVF lag - can be put down to insufficient power. Not enough power to drive fast processors for AF and millisecond-level EVF lag, and not enough power to drive large lenses at high speed. Make a 5D-size (not 5D-weight) mirrorless camera with a proper battery. and you'd pretty much solve all those issues.

someone0
436 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Jun 25, 2015 19:57 |  #40

Even comparing A7R2 to something like 5D3 or 5DsR still double or triple the battery life. But the question will always be what is proper power. Battery technology normally slow to develop and nobody want to invest.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 25, 2015 20:04 |  #41

someone0 wrote in post #17610717 (external link)
Even comparing A7R2 to something like 5D3 or 5DsR still double or triple the battery life. But the question will always be what is proper power. Battery technology normally slow to develop and nobody want to invest.

It's also much larger and has room to fit a more powerful battery.

Put the A7r into a 5D3-sized body and it would have a heap of room for more battery power, even after accounting for extras you'd add such as dual card slots and more powerful processors. After all, you don't need a mirror box, a viewfinder prism/assembly, a separate AF sensor, etc. You'd probably be able to fit a 1D-size battery in to a 5D-size mirrorless body, with all the power to run fast processors and drive heavy lenses at high speed.

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,669 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 25, 2015 22:12 |  #42

I doubt you would. sure, you get rid of the mirror and bottom AF sensor but once the pentaprism is replaced by an EVF of about the same size the only size saving you have left (if you want similar processing power) is thickness, and not all that much either

Gear List

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 25, 2015 22:41 |  #43

smythie wrote in post #17610831 (external link)
I doubt you would. sure, you get rid of the mirror and bottom AF sensor but once the pentaprism is replaced by an EVF of about the same size the only size saving you have left (if you want similar processing power) is thickness, and not all that much either

You save a lot of thickness throughout the body by not having a mirror assembly. And an EVF takes up much less space than a pentaprism, since it's essentially just a small OLED panel. Not to mention the weight savings (glass prisms and mirror assemblies are heavy, whereas EVFs are not). Which leaves a lot of space for extra battery power.

someone0
436 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by someone0.

Jun 25, 2015 22:54 |  #44

Shadowblade wrote in post #17610858 (external link)
You save a lot of thickness throughout the body by not having a mirror assembly. And an EVF takes up much less space than a pentaprism, since it's essentially just a small OLED panel. Not to mention the weight savings (glass prisms and mirror assemblies are heavy, whereas EVFs are not). Which leaves a lot of space for extra battery power.

EVF, I agree it take less space than penta-prism. But mirror box, well yes for older mirrorless, but for A7R2 it's arguable. Maybe less thick, but I doubt by much, unless you would argue that Sony IBIS take zero space. I would love it too if a company can make image stabilizer out of thin air.

Can Sony make their camera bigger, yes. And I'm sure Canon can make their camera smaller too. I don't think Canon 5D series is pack light w/ circuitry. But yes, mirrorbox is a dead space that can't be occupied by anything else. But I believe Canon decided to make their xD(read 1D, 5D, 6D, 7D) series a certain size for ergonomic reason and not technical reason. Comparing 5D3 vs 7D2 which is FF vs 1.6x crop, you can see that they are about the same size and there is no reason why a crop body would take about the same space as FF body.

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,669 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by smythie.

Jun 25, 2015 23:37 as a reply to  @ Shadowblade's post |  #45

if you want similar ergonomics you can't just replace the prism with batteries.

Have you seen the Lensrentals teardown of the 5Ds? behind and around the sensor there's very little, if any spare space. Remove the mirror, AF sensor and prism and there isn't anything else left that can be thrown out if you want the sort of computing power, connectivity and ergonomics that the 5D/D810/etc offers

The only way you'd fit more battery into a 5D sized mirrorless package would be to install an integrated slim line battery similar to that you see in tablets or mobile phones in between the pcb's and rear screen (while moving the sensor forward to the mount

Gear List

sponsored links

27,619 views & 15 likes for this thread
1Dx mark ii
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.