Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 17 Apr 2015 (Friday) 04:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1Dx mark ii

this thread is locked
Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 26, 2015 00:12 |  #46

smythie wrote in post #17610905 (external link)
if you want similar ergonomics you can't just replace the prism with batteries.

Have you seen the Lensrentals teardown of the 5Ds? behind and around the sensor there's very little, if any spare space. Remove the mirror, AF sensor and prism and there isn't anything else left that can be thrown out if you want the sort of computing power, connectivity and ergonomics that the 5D/D810/etc offers

The only way you'd fit more battery into a 5D sized mirrorless package would be to install an integrated slim line battery similar to that you see in tablets or mobile phones in between the pcb's and rear screen (while moving the sensor forward to the mount

The E-mount is a lot shallower than the EF mount, since there's no mirror box. Replace the EF mount with an E-mount in the same body and you can move the sensor forward a bit and have a few extra centimetres between the back of the sensor and the front of the LCD, which can be packed with electronics without changing the thickness of the camera. More electronics can go in the 'hump' which would otherwise have housed the pentaprism, as well as to the left of the lens mount/sensor. Essentially, you've moved much of the electronics from beside the sensor to behind the sensor (maintaining the same thickness), leaving the entire right side of the camera, including the huge grip area, able to be filled with battery.

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,256 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jul 06, 2015 07:21 |  #47

I feel like the pro line has to be addressed before something like an SL1 update. They need to get the 1DX II out the door so they can get to the 5D IV and 6D II.

Canon Announcements Coming August 14, 2015

By Canon Rumors | July 6, 2015 | Canon DSLR Rumors

It’s rumored that Canon’s next announcement date will be August 14, 2015. Canon will announce a DSLR camera body and two lenses at that time.
Which DSLR and lenses is unknown at the time of writing this.
We don’t expect to see an EOS 5D Mark IV at this time. It could be something like the EOS Rebel SL2, or the EOS-1D X Mark II.
As for the lenses, The EF 35mm f/1.4L II has been heavily rumored as being complete and ready for production. If an L is announced, I’d expect a non L EF/EF-S lens to get announced as well.

VIA: http://www.canonrumors​.com#ixzz3f73V9Rsc (external link)

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 06, 2015 08:42 |  #48

Aus.Morgo wrote in post #17540134 (external link)
Its more that for the price you pay for a Canon flagship 1D model that is going to cost several times the price of the 7d2 and be released a year or so later? I'd expect it to come out with a better AF system than the 7d2. That's not to say there is anything wrong with the 7d2 AF I'd just expect and want better AF to justify the money.

The 7D2 AF gets rather iffy at f/8 when conditions are less than optimal. With my 400/4DO II IS with a 2x TC, out in the bright open, shooting flat scenery, it AFes pretty fast but aim it into a tree that is close enough that the DOF is shallower than the branches in the scene, or on a bird perched on a weed in a swale of weeds, and AF becomes very difficult, even in direct sunlight. AF passes right by the bird, with the center AF point centered on the bird. I lose a lot of shots in this kind of situation. Missed the best potential shots many times because of this - the moment when the fledgling was being fed, etc. The birds were sunlit, unobscured from the front, 20 feet away, center point right on one of them, and the AF hunts towards minimum focus distance, after passing through the state of the bird being in focus. I don't know how much of this is lens (this is a state of the art lens) and how much is the 7D2, but there is tremendous room for improvement here. It is painful to use a lens that is still moderately sharp with 2.8x of TCs stacked at 1120mm f/11, but no chance of AF at f/11, and dodgy AF at 800mm f/8.

Canon PD AF is excellent for a lot of situations and lenses, but the fringe situations are still rather primitive and pathetic, IMO.

It is very scary when you think that Canon originally planned f/5.6 focus for the 1Dx and the 5D3. These cameras already have pixels so big that it is hard to put a lot of pixels over a small and/or distant subject, necessitating a TC which makes AF even more difficult. This is one of the major problems of big pixels, IMO; PDAF ability based on minimum f-number does not scale with pixel size, limiting the potential of TC use.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 06, 2015 08:53 |  #49

Seasalt wrote in post #17608606 (external link)
Can I ask if you are shooting JPG or RAW, as I can never achieve that off one battery, shooting LRAW + small JPG?

As for a 1dx mark ii, I would like to see a quieter mirror slap/shutter operation.

Don't forget the lens. AF and IS power consumption vary greatly. So does technique - if you spend a lot of time with IS engaged, or have to keep coaxing the AF with taps, you will get a lot less shots from a battery.

Robinson ­ Crusoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 07, 2015 03:35 |  #50

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17622335 (external link)
I feel like the pro line has to be addressed before something like an SL1 update. They need to get the 1DX II out the door so they can get to the 5D IV and 6D II.

It’s rumored that Canon’s next announcement date will be August 14, 2015. Canon will announce a DSLR camera body and two lenses at that time.
We don’t expect to see an EOS 5D Mark IV at this time. It could be something like the EOS Rebel SL2, or the EOS-1D X Mark II.
As for the lenses, The EF 35mm f/1.4L II has been heavily rumored as being complete and ready for production. If an L is announced, I’d expect a non L EF/EF-S lens to get announced as well.

Great news! Hope these rumors are correct.

Gear List | Deviantart (external link) | Flickr (external link)

RileyNZL
612 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 12, 2015 04:46 |  #51

First, I typically get about 2.5ks hots from my 1Dx, normally over a period of 1-2 weeks so there would be some drain over time as well.

What I would like in an Mk2 would be slightly higher resolution, maybe 22-24MP and of course better Dynamic range. USB 3 is bound to be included. A better WB/Color sensor, after using the 7D2 for a bit the current 1d'x color just doesn't look as good. Pretty happy with the current AF system, but maybe enlarging it a little so the coverage is more like the 7dmk2?

One thing I was most disappointing with in the 1Dx was the lack of customization of the buttons, which was a bit funny as that was something I'd always head the 1d series was good for. Most of the custom buttons, the functions they let you program to them are useless (for my uses anyway), and I can't remember the last time I used the two little extra button on the front of the camera by the lenses mount, give us something useful to use these extra buttons for.

Things from other cameras that it is lacking: Built in WiFi/GPS and intervolmeter.

At this stage I can't think of anything that would make me upgrade, so hopefully Canon have something up there sleeve that will change my mind.

Canon 1Dx |Canon 6D|Canon 24-70 F2.8 L MkII|Canon 16-35 F4 L|Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX OS|Canon 400mm f5.6 L|Sigma 50mm F1.4|Canon 600EX's|Gitzo Explorer Tripod|

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,332 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 12, 2015 21:21 |  #52

..."It could be something like the EOS Rebel SL2, or the EOS-1D X Mark II."...

lol, or anything in between? This leaves a lot of leeway :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Lumens
425 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jul 13, 2015 07:48 |  #53

I don't believe in speculation, I prefer to wait for the announcement. But because the 1Dx is (and I quote) the "Flagship" of the Canon line I would expect the best of the best for any new model/version of the "Flagship". It should represent the best Canon can do. I would hope every aspect of the camera to be the best Canon has to offer. I just cringe at the likely price point for the best :)

FUJI XT-2 & FUJI XT-3 ->
12mm Roki, 16 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, 80 Macro
10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 100-400

RileyNZL
612 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 13, 2015 15:18 as a reply to  @ Lumens's post |  #54

Not always the case, because for some people "the best" is different to someone else best, so it depends on what canon market the camera towards, with the 1dx it was mostly focused on sport and events (IMO) so it might not be considered the best is you where into landscapes for example.

Canon 1Dx |Canon 6D|Canon 24-70 F2.8 L MkII|Canon 16-35 F4 L|Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX OS|Canon 400mm f5.6 L|Sigma 50mm F1.4|Canon 600EX's|Gitzo Explorer Tripod|

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,256 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 02, 2015 07:40 |  #55

1DX drops another 700 bucks through authorized sellers ... two weeks until the afore mentioned Canon August announcement.

http://www.canonrumors​.com …-from-authorized-dealers/ (external link)

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,332 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 02, 2015 22:03 |  #56

For perspective, the 1D series pretty much always sold for $4,500.00 new,..
The 1Ds around $7,500.00/$8k new.

The 1Dx was launched in 1Ds price range,. (it also being full frame like a 1Ds)

Never in 3 generations did new stocks of 1Ds ever come down to 1D pricing.

In fact, 1D prices never came down much at all. They just disappeared from shelves shortly before the next gen was released.

"You shall live in interesting times"

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,256 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 14, 2015 22:19 |  #57

:facepalm:

http://www.canonrumors​.com …x-firmware-2-0-8-spotted/ (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,400 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 15, 2015 04:10 |  #58

Meh. It's not like it's a v3.0.0 (likely lots of changes). A 2.0.7 to 2.0.8 update is likely just to be minor bug fixes, and surely wouldn't be an indicator of whether or not a new model was going to be released.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,256 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 15, 2015 06:49 |  #59

facepalm :
The act of dropping one's face / forehead into one's hand. Usually accompanied by a "thunk" or a cr a cry of "D'oh!"

Usually written between asteriks in online conversation, to demonstrate an action.

Similar to *headdesk*
Today I locked my keys in my car. Again. *facepalm*

• . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .~., 
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . .facepalm.... . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:^.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ... . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..=-,,. . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.~,. . ..-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..=~-,
. .. =~-,_\_. . . \,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . \. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%>--

sploo
premature adulation
2,400 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 15, 2015 12:38 |  #60

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17669565 (external link)
facepalm

Errr OK. I know what a facepalm is, but don't see the context with Canon releasing a minor firmware upgrade? It's not like it has any negatives, surely?

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

sponsored links

27,626 views & 15 likes for this thread
1Dx mark ii
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.