Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 24 Jun 2015 (Wednesday) 14:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Contemplating move to Micro 4/3 from Canon FF

cali92rs
179 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Jun 24, 2015 14:55 |  #1

From an IQ standpoint, I LOVE my 6D. But I went on a trip to the UK recently...and I have another couple trips planned in the next couple months where I will be flying. So I would love something a lot more portable.
I know the popular refrain "get a micro 4/3 as a second system". Unfortunately, I don't have the money to do that.
I was thinking of a E-M1 or E-M5 ii if I do decide to make the switch.

I am purely an amateur and do not print very large, 12x18 is probably the max. And I love the articulating screens.

But there is this nagging feeling that i will just be dissatisfied from an IQ stand point if I make this move.

6D, 16-35mm f4L IS, 24-105mm f4L, 50mm f1.8 STM, 135mm f2L, Tamron 70-300mm VC

sponsored links
Padre
28 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jun 24, 2015 15:53 |  #2

Photography is always about compromise. Better IQ (how much better?, what is 'good enough' for you?) or Less Weight? You may want, at the very least, to rent or borrow a M 4/3 body and good lens before you sell your equipment. You can lose a lot of money very quickly.

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 24, 2015 19:57 |  #3

Is a 6D with say a 40mm pancake not portable enough or too limiting? I personally can get 90% of what I like to shoot on vacation with a roughly 35mm equiv lens, but YMMV.

From a cost standpoint, I just hate the idea of jumping in and out of systems.

Or how about adding a small fixed lens camera for vacation/ portability? It will be a one time cost as you won't be able to add lenses to it. And some of these smaller sensor compacts have outstanding IQ these days. I usually just take my RX-100 on vacation.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,025 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by FarmerTed1971.

Jun 24, 2015 20:08 |  #4

Pick up a used EOS-M kit from somebody on here with the adapter for less than $300.

Like this one (no affiliation with seller):
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1429284

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

RMH
998 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by RMH. (2 edits in all)

Jun 24, 2015 22:00 |  #5

how much does 2 - 3 year old rebels with kit lens go for on eBay? Much nicer to use and not much bigger / heavier.

I had FF, went m43, then went back to full frame.

Some of the m43 lenses are great, but it's a big step down in sensor size and it does notice. Then there's the handling, which while not bad isn't as good as a dlsr IMO.

I thought mirror less was going to be some uber portable camera nirvana, but it wasn't. I still needed a camera bag, just a slightly smaller one.

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

shocolite
213 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jun 25, 2015 04:32 |  #6

I looked into m4/3 also. When i reliased that I would end up with several lenses and 2 bodies I thought why bother.

Ended up choosing the Canon G7X as a day-to-day/travel camera that complements my DSLR's. It has a 1.8-2.8 lens with 24-100 equivalent lens so ideal for indoor usage and a very good zoom range for general photography. The camera is slightly more bulky than a P&S but is pocketable in anything that does not have tight pockets. I did not choose it because it was Canon, but what it offered/price point was the best compromise for me.

I also shied away from the non-interchangeable versions of m4/3 - if I remember rightly it was the price on some and the zoom range on others. Other bridge-type cameras can also be bulky.

I had the chance to try out different m4/3 bodies and I am glad I did not go down the m4/3 route.

Many of the earlier posts have good comments, notably the cost of changing systems but the use of pancake lenses or the purchase of an older Rebel are good ideas also.

Canon 80D, 700D & G7 X; EF-S 10-18/18-135 STM, EF-S 18-135 IS USM, 50 F1.4, 100 F2.8L Macro, 16-35 F4L, 70-200 F4L IS; 100-400 L II, Speedlite 430EX II

lellololes
81 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2015

Jun 25, 2015 12:09 |  #7

I'm not sure what you have in the Canon system, but when I seriously entertained jumping ship to it the biggest reason I didn't was the pricing on the quality lenses. The m43 kit I would have needed for equivalent functionality would have cost significantly more...

But I liked it enough that I picked up a very basic m4/3 kit, all used. And the cost of that kit was less than the difference in switching to m4/3.

(Said kit is a pl5 with 20mm and 45mm)

The previous generation m43 stuff is cheap, and there are some decent lens options available. Consider a good see em10 with a cheap lens or two - it won't cost much and will give you a level of portability you won't have with the f/2.8 pro zoom lenses. I can fit my whole m43 kit in the space of one medium sized SLR lens, and while I don't have a quality zoom lens, building a constrained system for my goals was inexpensive and it does quite well. It also exposed me to shooting differently than I do with my normal kit.

cali92rs
THREAD ­ STARTER
179 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Jun 25, 2015 12:15 |  #8

Thanks for all the suggestions.

My reasoning for micro 4/3 as opposed to something like a bridge cam or M3 is I really want weather sealing (I will be visiting tropical locations) and want an ILC. I will be out in the day, where it may be raining, then at night I would switch to a fast prime for clubs/indoors/restaura​nts etc.

Regarding the cost of switching systems, I have done so a few times in the past (from Nikon DX to Pentax to Fuji X to Canon FF). It isn't the cost of the equipment because I only buy used, but shipping costs do add up.

6D, 16-35mm f4L IS, 24-105mm f4L, 50mm f1.8 STM, 135mm f2L, Tamron 70-300mm VC

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 25, 2015 17:41 |  #9

cali92rs wrote in post #17610332 (external link)
Thanks for all the suggestions.

My reasoning for micro 4/3 as opposed to something like a bridge cam or M3 is I really want weather sealing (I will be visiting tropical locations) and want an ILC. I will be out in the day, where it may be raining, then at night I would switch to a fast prime for clubs/indoors/restaura​nts etc.

Regarding the cost of switching systems, I have done so a few times in the past (from Nikon DX to Pentax to Fuji X to Canon FF). It isn't the cost of the equipment because I only buy used, but shipping costs do add up.

Well that E-M1 with the 12-40 f/2.8 pro has to be a super enticing option. Weather sealed (which seems important to you), and a nice 24-80 effective focal range. Fast glass too. And the total weight is not much more than the weight of just the 6D body.

BTW, why did you go from Fuji X back to Canon FF?

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 25, 2015 17:46 |  #10

Also, I know you are looking at an ILC, but I would again maybe suggest adding a camera to your current Canon kit. I know we all differ, but the fixed lens options have gotten so good and versatile now. I never take ILC cameras on vacation anymore. Last thing I want to do is have multiple lenses that could possibly be lost, stolen, damaged, etc. And I hate changing lenses on vacation. I find so much stuff to shoot is spontaneous that by the time I switch lenses, the moment is lost. Of course this could be negated by having multiple bodies, but then totally takes away from portability.

The Sony RX-10 supposedly has weather sealing, and has a 24-200mm equiv f/2.8 zoom lens. That has to be a great vacation camera. Also does good video.

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 26, 2015 05:42 |  #11

I am currently seriously looking at changing to 4/3 with a Fuji X-T1, selling all my Canon but the 7D2 and possibly the 400 5.6 - or may get the 100-400 II instead.

I do quite a lot of BIF and the mirrorless I don't think are quite there yet.

Gear List

Canon ­ Dog
995 posts
Gallery: 156 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 26, 2015 08:55 |  #12

hania wrote in post #17611069 (external link)
I am currently seriously looking at changing to 4/3 with a Fuji X-T1, selling all my Canon but the 7D2 and possibly the 400 5.6 - or may get the 100-400 II instead.

I do quite a lot of BIF and the mirrorless I don't think are quite there yet.

The Fuji X-T1 is not a 4/3 camera. I believe it is an APS-C. I agree with you on keeping your 7D2 and maybe a long lens.

scokar
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 26, 2015 09:58 |  #13

While the best thing to do is handle a m43 system, here is a recent summary of why some people bought m43 systems

http://www.dpreview.co​m/forums/thread/386457​0 (external link)

I have an Olympus OMD E-M1 and am quite happy with it. Used to have canons for almost 12 years. 5dm3 most recently

Nonnit
361 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by Nonnit.

Jun 26, 2015 10:01 |  #14

The Dark Knight wrote in post #17610609 (external link)
Well that E-M1 with the 12-40 f/2.8 pro has to be a super enticing option. Weather sealed (which seems important to you), and a nice 24-80 effective focal range. Fast glass too. And the total weight is not much more than the weight of just the 6D body.

BTW, why did you go from Fuji X back to Canon FF?

In FF terms the 12-40 F2.8 the same as 24-80 F5.6

It is neither fast or super enticing

(I use the oly omd-em5 with pana 14mm F2.5 and oly 45mm F1.8 as my small kit)

Nonnit
5DMKIII // 70-200mm f2.8 L II // 35mm f2.0 IS // 50mm f1.4 // 85mm f1.8 // 100mm f2.8 Macro // 135mm f2.0 L // stuff
Film: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/souloffilm/ (external link)
Film: https://www.instagram.​com/souloffilm/ (external link)
Digital: http://nonnitryggva.is (external link) //

Jon_Doh
869 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 26, 2015 10:04 |  #15

The Olympus OM-1 has a nice huge viewfinder, comparable to the Canon 1DX and it is a decent camera. But for travel why not consider a bridge camera like the Panasonic FZ1000? I has a long lens made of Leica glass and produces great photos. It's compact and made for travel. I have the Leica version and have been very pleased with the photos it produces on my travels. The only down side is that it is limited if you need very high ISO's.

Here's a photo I took in Prague a couple of years ago with it. This was shot through the window of a tour bus.

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/jon_doh/image/148891881/large.jpg

I use a Kodak Brownie

sponsored links

4,145 views & 2 likes for this thread
Contemplating move to Micro 4/3 from Canon FF
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.