Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 26 Jun 2015 (Friday) 15:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Essential Software for Photographers

Milutiche
819 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 26, 2015 15:31 |  #1

I'm about to install an SSD on my PC and want to know what are everyone's must have pieces of software?

If someone can direct me to a list or make suggestons that would be great.

I do 99% of my work on Lightroom

I currently use,
Lightroom 5, Photoshop CS5, Zoom Browser, DPP, EOS Utility for my photo work

along with Chrome, MS Office, Media Monkey, VLC, Skype, Karens Replicator (for backups), Google Sketch Up, Drop Box, Spotify, Family Tree Maker, WinRar.

I want to streamline my install and not fill my drive up with un-needed software

What are the best anti virus, anti malware and pc utilities?

So many questions.

www.actionimages.net.n​z
Gear List
Sports Photos on Facebook (external link)
Sports Photos on Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 26, 2015 16:15 |  #2

Windows Defender has served me well - most antivirus/antimalware programs will be fine if you also use common sense in your on-line computing. I always load Crystal Rich's USB Safely Remove. For photo downloading I use Breeze Systems' Downloader Pro. For supplemental geotagging, I use Geosetter (which also loads EXIFTool). And Irfanview is a handy lightweight photo viewer/manager/editor.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 26, 2015 17:30 |  #3

What size SSD do you have? TBH, if you haven't purchased one yet, this might be a good sign for you to determine upping the size if you think you won't have enough space.

Check out Ninite.com that linked in the other thread I think you created. It can help with some quick mass basic installs

Do you need DPP if you have LR5?

As for "best" anti-virus and anti-malware, that stuff seems to change like the weather TBH. Go with a good reliable one with a good track record. Don't install that bloatware macafee. I use MalwareBytes.

Kinda off topic but what application is "Family Tree Maker"? Is it windows only!? Can you link me the application and tell me how you like it? My mom is really into genealogy and she has this program from Costco that she got back in 2000/2001 and I had to install a VM of Windows 7 on her MBP for her to run this ancient program that she still had the data saved on 3.5" floppys. She is looking for a more modern upgrade so any info on that would be great!

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Jun 26, 2015 17:58 |  #4

Bleufire wrote in post #17611721 (external link)
Kinda off topic but what application is "Family Tree Maker"? Is it windows only!? Can you link me the application

https://itunes.apple.c​om …maker-3/id871254880?mt=12 (external link)
http://www.ancestry.co​m/cs/apps/P-5246 (external link)

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
Instagram (external link)

KeithS
263 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 26, 2015 20:56 |  #5

Bleufire wrote in post #17611721 (external link)
Kinda off topic but what application is "Family Tree Maker"? Is it windows only!? Can you link me the application and tell me how you like it? My mom is really into genealogy and she has this program from Costco that she got back in 2000/2001 and I had to install a VM of Windows 7 on her MBP for her to run this ancient program that she still had the data saved on 3.5" floppys. She is looking for a more modern upgrade so any info on that would be great!

Family Tree Maker was the first genealogy program I used, and I was able to make sense out of all of my grandmother's notebook entries by entering them into the program. It was probably the most popular program of the day but users were encouraged to go on line to their database and add to it and download from it into their personal database. This perpetuated errors which others made and passed them on. One must VERIFY and document their data independently and not accept that other users, whose information one downloads, is accurate. FTM was bought by Ancestry, who also wants people to upload to the Ancestry database. I went to, and used for years, The Master Genealogist, a much more user defined program, but the developer has recently decided not to continue to develop and support the program.

daverator
My title stinks!
2,073 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Jun 26, 2015 22:42 |  #6

You can put the software that needs speed, like image editing and games on ssd, then put software that doesn't need so much speed on HDD. Usually no worries then, it works for me anyway. I use Kasperski antivirus software. Works very well, good luck!

Dave
7D gripped l T3i gripped | EFS-IS 18-55mm | EFS-IS II 55-250mm | EF 50mm 1.8 II l Tamron 150-600mm | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 vc

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,305 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 26, 2015 22:50 |  #7

For me, Libre Office is a perfectly acceptable free alternative to MSOffice. Of course YMMV.

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,339 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 27, 2015 01:24 |  #8

I use both Windows Defender and Avira (free edition) for antivirus.
For back-ups I use Macrium Reflect (free edition).

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,305 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 27, 2015 03:27 |  #9

http://tinyspell.numer​it.com/ (external link)

Milutiche
THREAD ­ STARTER
819 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 27, 2015 05:48 as a reply to  @ Bleufire's post |  #10

Looking at a 240GB SSD, probably a Sandisk as it fits within my budget, I can't afford anything more at the moment I've got a 7d2 to order and I need a new car!

www.actionimages.net.n​z
Gear List
Sports Photos on Facebook (external link)
Sports Photos on Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

1,448 views & 0 likes for this thread
Essential Software for Photographers
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.