Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 27 Apr 2015 (Monday) 07:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I'm always flirting with Pentax...

speedync
Goldmember
1,282 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2011

May 18, 2015 06:14 |  #16

One thing I forgot to mention, which makes the KS2 quite attractive, is the Image sensor stabilization. Every lens is stabilized then. And I do like stabilized lenses. Unfortunately, you don't get it through the viewfinder though, like lens stabilization.

sponsored links
Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 18, 2015 10:40 |  #17

MalVeauX wrote in post #17559060 (external link)
I would *love* to have a 645z. That's my portrait/landscape camera dream (reasonable one since it's not an $80k system and I could actually do that system one day, used). Love the 645z dynamic range and overall quality, medium format is something I'd love to get into.

It's a killer landscape/arch camera for sure, every time I've shot HDRs so far I ended up simply using the highlight exposure and recovering the shadows, compared to an HDR you get a teeny bit more graininess in the shadows that I guarantee you'll never see on paper, and no hassle with blending.

Portraiture is a little more complicated since the 150/2.8 is a lot like the 135L and so isn't always appropriate due to the distance required, while the 55mm is a bit wide for anything closer than environmental portraits. The 120mm Macro is a great lens in its own right, but not a very good portrait lens, not the feel of it nor the f/4 aperture. The 90mm sounds like a good candidate, but is very expensive as most modern digital MF lenses are.

Here's a random shot I took a couple days ago:

IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41183616/_IMG1922.jpg

If you have Lightroom, you can download one of my Raw images that I think is a good example of the DR available, sorry 'bout the dust in the upper right. (60MB warning) (external link)

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Looks rough and well used"
13,095 posts
Gallery: 1549 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

May 18, 2015 11:35 |  #18

Heya,

Ugh! Hah, Pentax has too many things I want. Digital Medium Format. And weather resistant 35mm format with weather sealed lenses. All of which are affordable compared to the "big" alternatives. It's weird to me that Pentax has fallen so far from it's mighty days in terms of market share. They have features that are normally reserved for the massively expensive systems, yet they have them on their affordable stuff.

Maybe one day I will find a 645z in my bag. Next to a 35mm format Pentax and a fast telephoto. Sigh...

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Mike-P
157 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by Mike-P.

May 19, 2015 04:31 |  #19

MalVeauX wrote in post #17561297 (external link)
It's weird to me that Pentax has fallen so far from it's mighty days in terms of market share. They have features that are normally reserved for the massively expensive systems, yet they have them on their affordable stuff.

The main reason for Pentax's drop in popularity is because of it's mighty days in terms of market share. When digital first took off Pentax more or less wrote it off as a passing fad saying there is no way it would be anywhere near as popular as film and so completely dropped the ball and totally ignored it. By the time they realised their mistake the digital race was virtually over and Canikon had left them far behind.

They never recovered from that ... Even now, as they get more popular I have people coming over to me and saying Oooh, a Pentax, I didn't know they were still making cameras .. is that film?

Canon 7D, Canon M5, Pentax K-1, Pentax K-3II, Panasonic LX5.

venom3300
610 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jun 17, 2015 11:10 |  #20

I shoot a Pentax K5 (original) and DA*300/4. It was for this setup that I left Canon. Sure the Pentax AF lags behind Canon, but I find it suitable in most situations. As you mentioned, I can't get a totally sealed system from Canon for the same price.... and the sensor in the Pentax cameras is years ahead of canons in terms of low ISO DR and high ISO noise.

I payed 800 used for the lens and 350 (at the time) for the K-5... total cost= $1150. Not bad for a setup that delivers top shelf IQ.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i568.photobucke​t.com …/K5__2857_zps25​8ypbw4.jpg (external link)

http://i568.photobucke​t.com …/K5__3610_zps6o​a2h5tw.jpg (external link)

http://i568.photobucke​t.com …/K5__3666_zpsu9​fvvea3.jpg (external link)

http://i568.photobucke​t.com …/K5__3760_zpsmu​enqlwa.jpg (external link)

Bodies: Nikon D800,Canon Rebel GII, Pentax K1000
Lenses: Nikon 20mm 1.8, Nikon 24 2.8 MF, Tamron SP 35mm 1.8, Tamron 90 2.8 Macro, Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR I, Nikon AI-P 500mm F4, Nikon TC-16A, SMC Pentax-A 50/1.7, SMC Pentax-M 100/4 Macro

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,508 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 17, 2015 11:25 |  #21

Does anyone remember if it was SONY or Pentax that first had an SLR with in body IS? I think it was SONY??

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
13,095 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 17, 2015 14:42 |  #22

Thanks Bryce,

Nice to see it can keep up with those kinds of birds, it would probably be plenty for me actually. I may have to re-consider and keep shopping a K5IIs if I can, and the 300/4 is definitely the lens from close range. Very nice examples!

Very best,

Furlan
729 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jun 17, 2015 15:05 |  #23

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17600642 (external link)
Does anyone remember if it was SONY or Pentax that first had an SLR with in body IS? I think it was SONY??

Try Minolta.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,255 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Jun 17, 2015 15:09 |  #24

Back in the olden (film) days, we were told that Pentax cameras were best for very cold conditions. When the mercury dropped to -40 deg C, the Spotmatics kept clicking. I have not heard it verified, but maybe there was some truth to that.

To hear that today's Pentax cameras are weather-resistant seems to be consistent with the cold weather idea.

I still have my Spotmatic F and three SMC Takumars, and they will be useful in case I need to go out into the cold.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

venom3300
610 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jun 17, 2015 21:07 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #25

The K3 has a better AF system than the K5 series if you can afford it. You'll need a little patience with the AF to learn its quirks.

The DA* 300 delivers similar IQ to the 300/4 IS L.

Bodies: Nikon D800,Canon Rebel GII, Pentax K1000
Lenses: Nikon 20mm 1.8, Nikon 24 2.8 MF, Tamron SP 35mm 1.8, Tamron 90 2.8 Macro, Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR I, Nikon AI-P 500mm F4, Nikon TC-16A, SMC Pentax-A 50/1.7, SMC Pentax-M 100/4 Macro

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
13,095 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 17, 2015 21:11 |  #26

venom3300 wrote in post #17601286 (external link)
The K3 has a better AF system than the K5 series if you can afford it. You'll need a little patience with the AF to learn its quirks.

The DA* 300 delivers similar IQ to the 300/4 IS L.

Heya,

I like the idea of the K3, just don't like flirting with increasing costs.

Ultimately my big problem is the lens. A weather sealed lens from Canon is either $4k+ or non-existant. It's dumb. I have a weather sealed body already (1D series). Just doesn't make sense that there's not a 300mm or 400mm that is $1k or so, and weather sealed. Makes no sense to me at all that the Canon 300 F4L or 400 F5.6L are not weather sealed. Just seems like a joke to me unfortunately.

Very best,

HugeCanon
209 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2008

Jun 27, 2015 11:31 |  #27

I moved to Pentax from Canon. They are coming out with a new FF this year using the A7rII sensor which also may have their Pixel Shift technology which would put it on par with detail resolution of a Medium Format.

I love Pentax. I am only using one of their lowest end models, the K-50 but it has more features than my Canon 60D did (minus flip out screen). I think it's a better camera and the body only cost $300 new. You get a LOT of bang for your buck with Pentax.

They have features others don't, like IBIS and with the GPS unit it will communicate with the camera and allow the sensor to actually track the stars up to 5 minutes with UWA. I think that's pretty damn amazing and the new K3 II has the GPS unit built into it.

Their weather sealing is top of the line too. I have seen somebody take a K-50, their lowest end model and put it under water in a pool and take pictures with it! That's just insane. I wouldn't try it, but I don't think any other SLR could handle it that well, especially in this price range.

I also like the DR with the Sony sensor, I am able to pull more detail out of shadows than I could with my 60D.

I also like that I am not supporting one of the larger names. So, there are some downsides. One, selling your gear if you no longer need it, the markets not nearly as big so selling stuff is not as easy. Buying is though, you'll have more bargaining power. Third party support is not all that great though Tamron is said to be in line to support the new FF.

Lots of old glass you can buy that's really nice and cheap and on the digital body will allow you to have the stabilized image. I can't think of too many downsides. I say take the plunge!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gallery! (external link)

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
3,438 posts
Gallery: 592 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 27, 2015 12:19 |  #28

I have a bunch of old Pentax lenses and am waiting for the new Pentax FF body to come out. I can use all the lenses on my Canon bodies with an adapter but focussing manually and aperture setting via the aperture ring on the lenses. The nice thing is that the TTL image lightens and darkens accordingly and the meter also registers under or over exposure. The Canon focussing screens don't make it easy to focus accurately though - I find that's a bit hit-or-miss!

flickr (external link)

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
13,095 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 27, 2015 22:51 |  #29

HugeCanon wrote in post #17612298 (external link)
I moved to Pentax from Canon. They are coming out with a new FF this year using the A7rII sensor which also may have their Pixel Shift technology which would put it on par with detail resolution of a Medium Format.

I love Pentax. I am only using one of their lowest end models, the K-50 but it has more features than my Canon 60D did (minus flip out screen). I think it's a better camera and the body only cost $300 new. You get a LOT of bang for your buck with Pentax.

They have features others don't, like IBIS and with the GPS unit it will communicate with the camera and allow the sensor to actually track the stars up to 5 minutes with UWA. I think that's pretty damn amazing and the new K3 II has the GPS unit built into it.

Their weather sealing is top of the line too. I have seen somebody take a K-50, their lowest end model and put it under water in a pool and take pictures with it! That's just insane. I wouldn't try it, but I don't think any other SLR could handle it that well, especially in this price range.

I also like the DR with the Sony sensor, I am able to pull more detail out of shadows than I could with my 60D.

I also like that I am not supporting one of the larger names. So, there are some downsides. One, selling your gear if you no longer need it, the markets not nearly as big so selling stuff is not as easy. Buying is though, you'll have more bargaining power. Third party support is not all that great though Tamron is said to be in line to support the new FF.

Lots of old glass you can buy that's really nice and cheap and on the digital body will allow you to have the stabilized image. I can't think of too many downsides. I say take the plunge!

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by HugeCanon in
./showthread.php?p=176​12298&i=i262227453
forum: Changing Camera Brands

Heya,

Thanks for that! I definitely am keeping it in mind. Pentax dynamic range and ISO is fantastic. The weather sealing is actually the biggest draw for me as that's what I seek the most for adventure photography and I'm in nasty conditions often enough to think about it (weekly). My biggest hold is simply cost of telephoto lenses for Pentax, speed of AF, and tracking aggressiveness.

Very best,

Jon_Doh
869 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by Jon_Doh.

Jun 28, 2015 09:54 |  #30

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17600642 (external link)

Minolta/Sony

I use a Kodak Brownie

sponsored links

15,322 views & 33 likes for this thread
I'm always flirting with Pentax...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.