Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show us your setup and the final result!

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,857 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 28, 2015 15:08 |  #8881

msowsun wrote in post #17613509 (external link)
Thank You.

LOL.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,414 posts
Gallery: 318 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 28, 2015 15:11 |  #8882

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #17613559 (external link)
Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17613549 (external link)
It's an artistic nude, showing the beauty of the female form. I fail to see what is disgusting about that.

As to not posting it in this thread, I think I agree with that part. Maybe for nudes like these, blurring the intimate parts could work? That way you can show the setup and the result without offending anyone (or violating posting rules for that matter). Just my 2 cts. :-)

Are there any "intimate parts" actually showing? I don't think there are...I agree...a totally ARTISTIC nude. Beautifully done.

Not as such. However, despite the fact that we both think it is a beautifully done artistic nude, would you say the image is safe for work?

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,857 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 28, 2015 15:14 |  #8883

fwiw*, it's been my experience that he mods want questionable posts to be reported to them and NOT policed by the rest of us.

* probably very little, i am sure. :D

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,372 posts
Gallery: 435 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 28, 2015 15:25 |  #8884

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17613566 (external link)
Not as such. However, despite the fact that we both think it is a beautifully done artistic nude, would you say the image is safe for work?

haha...probably not SFW. Depending on where one works. :)

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 28, 2015 15:32 |  #8885

Redcat, how are you triggering above sync?

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

RedCatPhoto
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 28, 2015 15:42 as a reply to  @ DisrupTer911's post |  #8886

Am using a pair of Yongnuo YN-622 C e-TTL II and haven't notices any triggering issues so far, love it.

JM - facebook (external link) - website (external link) - gear list

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 28, 2015 20:31 |  #8887

for the Jinbei? it has a hotshoe?

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 28, 2015 21:09 |  #8888

DisrupTer911 wrote in post #17613829 (external link)
for the Jinbei? it has a hotshoe?

No hot shoe on the Jinbei. Only a 3.5mm jack.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

QuickSilver11
51 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 28, 2015 22:23 |  #8889

RedCatPhoto wrote in post #17612927 (external link)
Thank you guys!

Thanks! WB was set to daylight, we shot this in the late morning and on a partially cast sky, the color toning was done in post. We first meter for the sky/background and then add the flash and adapt the power to get a correct exposure on the subject, we're pretty used to that so are quite fast to get our settings done.

I apologize, but I can be a bit slow. So for the WB, what do you mean by color toning? Are you taking one exposure and then applying different white balance for the two color casts? Or is the color from the flash balanced well enough with the ambient that you didn't have to worry about it too much? Something else completely?

When I last did an outdoor shoot with flash I had a heck of a time figuring out later how to get the subject and background to both look right. I probably should have used a CTO, but didn't have them with me at the time. I think in the end I made the background a lot warmer than it should have been, but had the right color for my subject (cousin). My aunt was thrilled with the results, but I wasn't. Of course if an old cellphone picture is in focus she is thrilled, so it really isn't saying much.

Anyway... Thanks for the info! I'd like to figure out how I can get something remotely as well done as your shots. (Its going to take a lot of time/practice I'm sure).

losangelino
938 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 28, 2015 23:12 as a reply to  @ QuickSilver11's post |  #8890

Hey, Quick,
One way to do it, and it's what RedCat was describing is: in manual mode, shoot the scene without a light. Make adjustments on your camera to get the background to look exactly how you'd want it to be in the final image. After, do not change your camera settings and turn the strobe on. Then shoot it. Change only the strobe power, position and distance to your subject. Doing this should give you a nice balance.

Only thing to keep in mind is that if your flash/trigger does not have HSS or high speed capability, when you set your camera settings, you should not set the camera shutter speed to faster than your sync speed (1/200 on a 5d). In this instance, you can only play with the F-Stop and the ISO.

Flickr (external link)
IG: @lensesandwheels (external link)cars | @photomagicology (external link) portraits

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 28, 2015 23:54 |  #8891

losangelino wrote in post #17613942 (external link)
Hey, Quick,
One way to do it, and it's what RedCat was describing is: in manual mode, shoot the scene without a light. Make adjustments on your camera to get the background to look exactly how you'd want it to be in the final image. After, do not change your camera settings and turn the strobe on. Then shoot it. Change only the strobe power, position and distance to your subject. Doing this should give you a nice balance.

Only thing to keep in mind is that if your flash/trigger does not have HSS or high speed capability, when you set your camera settings, you should not set the camera shutter speed to faster than your sync speed (1/200 on a 5d). In this instance, you can only play with the F-Stop and the ISO.

I may have misunderstood, but you seem to be talking about exposure matching between strobe and ambient, whereas Quicksilver is asking about colour matching.

Cheers, Damien

Daniel.E
175 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 29, 2015 01:18 |  #8892

There are several ways of matching color temperature, the easiest is to do some prep work, go to the place the day before and shoot some images with a white balance target. Not the 18% gray, use a real digital white balance target like the colorchecker or WhiBal. Take some without the flash and then add the flash and shoot some. Once you get home open them in your raw processor and look at the difference in readings then gel accordingly.

I guess the easiest is to use a color meter and do the math right on the spot but those are so expensive.
After awhile it becomes easier and you know you'll need once certain kinds of CTOs for daylight.

Another way is to do it in post and mask to match.

5D2 | 50mm f1.4 USM | 85mm f1.8 USM | 135mm f/2L
Contax T | Fuji Klasse S | Canon 1N | Pentax 645N | Rolleiflex 2.8F | Norita 66 | Hasselblad 500 c/m | Pentax 67 | Shen Hao 4x5
MM profile (external link)

RedCatPhoto
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 29, 2015 01:33 as a reply to  @ QuickSilver11's post |  #8893

Those pictures were shot at around 10am, so the ambient color temperature was quite matching the color temp of the strobe, that is true that when shooting closer to the golden hour or sunrise/sunset can be more tricky.

JM - facebook (external link) - website (external link) - gear list

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
3,760 posts
Gallery: 678 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 29, 2015 07:04 |  #8894

Alveric wrote in post #17613469 (external link)
This is disgusting. This belongs in the G&N forum not here.

I agree - get it out of here.

flickr (external link)

Decostanza
278 posts
Gallery: 120 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined May 2014

Jun 29, 2015 08:33 |  #8895

Redcat,
Thanks for sharing your photo, really like the BTS shot as well as the final image...well done

sponsored links

5,875,203 views & 9,800 likes for this thread
Show us your setup and the final result!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.