Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 01 Jul 2015 (Wednesday) 05:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

first attempt editing a portrait

67cudaking
112 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2015

Jul 01, 2015 05:12 |  #1

hey guys. snapped this of my girlfriend the other day. was in a basement with poor lighting and obviously horrible backround but it was just a candid moment. anyway I mostly shoot surf and landscape photography but im looking to branch out and try different areas and techniques. anyway what do you guys think of the edit on this one. does the skin look to fake?

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/499/18700014433_a69e3f65fc_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/uuss​MX  (external link) IMG_0230 (external link) by john king (external link), on Flickr

olympus epl1, oly omd em10mk11, oly 14-42r x2, oly 40-150r, panasonic 25mm 1.7, gopro hero 3+ silver.

sponsored links
Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 01, 2015 05:56 |  #2

IMHO...

Way over the top! The hair is too blury. How did you edit it? Did you use Portrait proffesional (if you do turn everything down low)? Eyes over saturates - esp red in the whites of the eye.

You did a great job with flawless skin, but skin isn't flawless and this is getting a bit too cartoon like for my tastes.

Might be interesting to post the original and see what others would do with it?

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link)

agrandexpression
446 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Jul 01, 2015 06:49 |  #3

I'd agree. Overprocessed for my taste.

I'm sure if you dial it back a notch or two it'll look great.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 01, 2015 07:52 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Way over the top. Looks like a plastic Barbie doll.

windpig
Chopped liver
14,919 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 01, 2015 08:00 |  #5

Post an unedited image.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

iAMB
847 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 01, 2015 08:42 |  #6

Overprocessed...Yes. BUT I would take it even further. See what you can do with the background, perhaps full white, or crop in a magical type of setting. Change color of shirt perhaps. You never know, this could be a type of processing that may work in your favor if you keep it going. Play with it. In the end, you simply learn what and what not to do.

Canon 6D Mk I
24-70mm F/4L , 70-200mm F/4L , 50mm 1.8 I , Rokinon 14mm F/2.8 & 35mm F/1.4
"I'm so far behind, it looks like I'm winning"
-Adam

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 01, 2015 12:52 |  #7

Printed on canvas and the background eliminated, this could look like a painting of some sort. I think there's a small market for this type and style of editing, but I think it's rather dated... like a 90s t-shirt. Sorry to be so blunt. For a photograph, it has lost all semblance.

On the other hand, you are lucky to have what appears to be a very attractive young lady for a girlfriend.

One last thing - regardless of this style or another attempt at editing, you want to brighten up the lines around her eyes. Her left eye blends into her lashes. If anything, you might want to dodge and burn or paint in some white in the corner of her left eye to separate it from the makeup.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

ShaneKPhotography
831 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by ShaneKPhotography.

Jul 02, 2015 12:05 |  #8

I agree with the others. When it comes to PP, less is usually more. Keep at it :)

Rebel XS Gripped, EF-S 18-55, EF 50 f/1.8, Tamron SP 70-300, 430 EX II, Sigma DG OS 150-500.
flickr (external link) || Facebook (external link) || Website (external link)

DThriller
Goldmember
2,032 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 03, 2015 11:05 |  #9

I agree with most way over the top edit. She seems like a pretty girl and dosnt really need a super crazy edit. I understand if you were just seeing how far you can take skin softening but a really good edit is one you can't tell what you did. Did you show her this image? Id be interested to know what her reaction is.

I know you didn't ask about the picture itself but..

67cudaking wrote in post #17616619 (external link)
. snapped this of my girlfriend the other day. was in a basement with poor lighting and obviously horrible backround but it was just a candid moment.

Take her into good light and a better background. You'll get a better shot and have to edit less.

http://www.facebook.co​m/DPhillipsStudios (external link)
http://DPhillipsStudio​s.com (external link)
@DPhillipsStudios
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.co​m …/UCgAZ5-OKdg1YXONAjGu91zQ (external link)

koolcreation
652 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 03, 2015 11:15 |  #10

Way over the top take it down a bit.

5DMKII | 50mm 1.4 | 24-105 f/4 | Speedlights - Strobes |
Flickr (external link)
Instagram @KoolCreationPhoto (external link)

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jul 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by drmaxx.

Jul 03, 2015 11:21 |  #11

iAMB wrote in post #17616766 (external link)
Overprocessed...Yes. BUT I would take it even further. See what you can do with the background, perhaps full white, or crop in a magical type of setting. Change color of shirt perhaps. You never know, this could be a type of processing that may work in your favor if you keep it going. Play with it. In the end, you simply learn what and what not to do.

^^^This
There is a strong contrast in the highly processed and almost stylized face of the woman and the cluttered and realistic background. You either tone the processing down or as iAMB mentioned go all the way for the entire picture.

Donate if you love POTN

67cudaking
THREAD ­ STARTER
112 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2015

Jul 03, 2015 12:35 |  #12

thank you all for the replies! I did it in lightroom and yes definitely a bit over the top lol. thanks for the words of advice guys and ill come back with another portrait soon!

olympus epl1, oly omd em10mk11, oly 14-42r x2, oly 40-150r, panasonic 25mm 1.7, gopro hero 3+ silver.

ElTigreBlanco
566 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 13, 2015 02:10 |  #13

For a normal portrait, yes overprocessed. For a unique take or maybe for pinup style, not bad at all! So it seems to sum up the feedback given to say, take it to the next level or take it way back to get a more conventional portrait.

I like to shoot things...sometimes with a camera!

tdlavigne
364 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Jul 16, 2015 02:21 |  #14

As has been said by others, it's a bit overdone (at least for my tastes). Generally speaking I advise everyone to avoid blurring skin. Real skin has texture, pores, creases, gradations of color, etc. I don't know if you have PS, or if you're just working with LR (I honestly don't even know how I'd approach working with LR to retouch skin other than a healing brush) but if you do have PS or one of the free programs that can supposedly mirror many of it's features I'd suggest looking into: healing brushes and clone tool (and the many different ways/settings for both), split frequency method, inverted high pass, channel/luminosity masking, and dodge and burn (whatever method you prefer). That should cover ~90+% of what you'll encounter and once you get a hang of those techniques you'll be able to turn out a solid retouch that looks more akin to what the subject looks like, but without any blemishes and such. A proper retouch doesn't have to take 12hrs...but putting a little time into one can definitely help.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 19, 2015 10:46 |  #15

Everything looks fake. Way overdone.

Gear List

sponsored links

3,904 views & 14 likes for this thread
first attempt editing a portrait
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.