Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 27 May 2015 (Wednesday) 18:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A7x lounge

Puckman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Jul 01, 2015 15:06 |  #1441

Sorry guys. Been gone a few days (work, all-day training and whatnot) and still haven't shot in over a month now (I know! Need to get out there, but it's been too hot lately). Looks like you've all been busy though. Had almost 100 posts to read but all caught up now.

Lukas, sorry for your loss.

Charlie wrote in post #17615216 (external link)
after shooting the 11-24, I'm really warming up to the idea of EF lenses for landscapes. That 11-24 is pretty damn ridiculous...... Pondering the idea of the 11-24 + 70-400 sony with a pair of bodies.... I figure that would be great for landscapes, but if I cant make only two lenses work, then 11-24 + 24-105 + 100-400ii + 1.4xiii..........

yeah, I'm all over the place.

Wow. I'm gone a week and you're now talking about 11-24 and 100-400mkII???? That's new...What happened to small/light kit?

I do love those sunset photos. Specially #3. Makes me think of the Silver Surfer.

apexman wrote in post #17615781 (external link)
I rented an A7S for my trip to Laguna Seca. Got a few shots from the Monterey Bay. This was with the Zeiss Loxia 35 F2

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by apexman in
./showthread.php?p=176​15781&i=i162529682
forum: Sony Cameras

That first one is excellently composed.

Vixen89 wrote in post #17615849 (external link)
So pretty much I won't be able to use this setting if I have an adapter? If so, I guess I will have to purchase a Sony 24-70 after all. >_<

No. You're not getting what was said. You need to read your camera's manual (sorry if that sounds condescending, but it's full of useful information that you're just missing by making these assumptions about what works or doesn't work).
There is a toggle switch on the back of the camera that lets you switch on the fly from AF to MF (or the other way around) on any lens with any adapter. It's not going through the menu (as you discovered, that only works on native lenses).
The toggle switch is to the right of the EVF, sort of, above the controller joystick thingie. It's labeled AF/MF or something along those lines.

Sony A7RII and a bunch of lenses.

sponsored links
fotocrack
194 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 01, 2015 15:09 |  #1442

Hello,

Do you guys know if any of the a7 cameras will shoot still and videos like the 5D MK III?
I am ready to make the jump but this is one feature I would really love to have on these small bodies.
Thank for your input.

5DM3 lover :cool: //My custom build computer //My Feedback
PLEASE DONATE TO YOUR LOCAL FOOD BANKS AND LOCAL CHARITIES

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,221 posts
Gallery: 619 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 01, 2015 15:13 |  #1443

mystik610 wrote in post #17617008 (external link)
I wonder if he had the contrast detect cycle on during his tests. We've seen in the other videos that the a7rII has the ability to toggle between pure phase detect, pure contrast detect, or hybrid. If he's using hybrid, then older lenses probably will suck, as the older AF motors may not change directions quickly enough to hunt the way contrast detect does at the final stage of acquiring focus. Outside of that, I don’t see an older lens would ‘suck’ compared to a newer lens, when it comes to pure phase detect.

He also says the 24-105 works fine which isnt exactly a new lens either. Im still optimistic about "older" lenses

α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,514 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 01, 2015 15:22 |  #1444

xpfloyd wrote in post #17617144 (external link)
He also says the 24-105 works fine which isnt exactly a new lens either. Im still optimistic about "older" lenses

The 24-105mm was announced in 2005 - not that old.

The 400mm f/5.6L was announced in 1993 - about as old as it gets for any lens currently available in the Canon lens lineup. I wish they would make a version II with improved optics - especially with TCs.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,221 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 01, 2015 15:29 |  #1445

David Arbogast wrote in post #17617159 (external link)
The 24-105mm was announced in 2005 - not that old.

The 400mm f/5.6L was announced in 1993 - about as old as it gets for any lens currently available in the Canon lens lineup. I wish they would make a version II with improved optics - especially with TCs.

Every days a school day as they say. I thought that lens was way older than that

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
9,435 posts
Gallery: 110 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 01, 2015 15:33 |  #1446

Just got an email from lensrental.com saying the A7RII will be available August 15th.

Tim

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,514 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 01, 2015 16:05 |  #1447

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17617119 (external link)
'but the notion of a really light 400mm f/5.6 was appealing to me' Me too David!!
Kinda makes me regret selling my 400mm 5.6.
I do plan on renting one when the Rii gets here...then I'll know for little outlay.
One of my favorite combs 'back in the day' (HA!) was the 400 5.6 with the Nex-7....yes MF
but I grew up with an F2 where everything was manual, so no biggie there.
But can you imagine a native 400mm to FE ??????? F4 would be fine...no need for the tonnage
of F2.8, not with BIS and the advances in ISO.
We can dream...........

Have you done any digiscoping with your a7?

I've got this 5" Maksutov Cassegrain scope sitting unused in my basement, and I was wondering if it might be worth buying a kit to mount my a7R to it. I don't know if they make e-mount adapters for scopes, but I figure I could just get the Canon-mount version and use my metabones adapter.

OTOH, might it be a waste of total time since it is not stabilized?

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 01, 2015 16:40 |  #1448

Puckman wrote in post #17617131 (external link)
Sorry guys. Been gone a few days (work, all-day training and whatnot) and still haven't shot in over a month now (I know! Need to get out there, but it's been too hot lately). Looks like you've all been busy though. Had almost 100 posts to read but all caught up now.

Lukas, sorry for your loss.

Wow. I'm gone a week and you're now talking about 11-24 and 100-400mkII???? That's new...What happened to small/light kit?

I do love those sunset photos. Specially #3. Makes me think of the Silver Surfer.

That first one is excellently composed.

No. You're not getting what was said. You need to read your camera's manual (sorry if that sounds condescending, but it's full of useful information that you're just missing by making these assumptions about what works or doesn't work).
There is a toggle switch on the back of the camera that lets you switch on the fly from AF to MF (or the other way around) on any lens with any adapter. It's not going through the menu (as you discovered, that only works on native lenses).
The toggle switch is to the right of the EVF, sort of, above the controller joystick thingie. It's labeled AF/MF or something along those lines.

Hi Puckman,

I appreciate you being honest with me and you're right bout me needing to read the manual. I'm always on the fly and just learn by just tinkering or word of mouth. With that being said, I'm done messing with adapters and gonna go learn how to get better at focus peaking and just shoot now!

I'm actively lazy!! :D | Gear List | photovxn.com (under construction)external link

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,701 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 01, 2015 16:41 |  #1449

Hope no one minds me posting this here too. If you'd like to see a full rez version, please let me know and I'll upload for you.

Does anyone know what this is? I"ll give a hint, it's made by Minolta. :lol:

And yes, my 90mm macro got here today. This was my first try with it.

Uncropped

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/488/18714224533_4cce3649fa_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/uvHh​XF  (external link) Minolta (external link) by Gene (external link), on Flickr

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,701 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 01, 2015 16:51 |  #1450

100% crop

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/509/18714780373_fb5d2d68ff_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/uvL9​c8  (external link) Minolta cropped (external link) by Gene (external link), on Flickr

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,221 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 01, 2015 17:02 |  #1451

navydoc wrote in post #17617250 (external link)
Hope no one minds me posting this here too. If you'd like to see a full rez version, please let me know and I'll upload for you.

Uncropped

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/uvHh​XF  (external link) Minolta (external link) by Gene (external link), on Flickr

I'm.guessing its not a flash but a light meter?

Lens looks mega sharp!

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,701 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 01, 2015 17:22 |  #1452

xpfloyd wrote in post #17617291 (external link)
I'm.guessing its not a flash but a light meter?

Lens looks mega sharp!

Ding, ding, ding. :lol: You are correct! It's a Minolta Spotmeter F that I've had for a long time. I was surprised to see how much they are still worth. It is a true 1° spotmeter though.

I didn't apply any sharpening other that what is applied in ACR. I shot this at f8, iso 100 and used a fill flash fired manually during the 2.5 second exposure.

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,221 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 01, 2015 17:40 |  #1453

Owners of the voigtlander super wide heliar 15 mm III lens (David and nadim from memory??) - can any of you tell me if you can hand hold Lee grad filters in front of it or is it so wide that you see the edges of the filter?

I know you can't attach the Lee filter holder due to the fixed hood but wondering if handholding is an option for grads

Puckman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Jul 01, 2015 18:01 |  #1454

navydoc wrote in post #17617250 (external link)

Uncropped

QUOTED IMAGE

I was going to guess it was a light meter. Someone beat me to it.
So...How you liking the 90? Worth the hefty pricetag? I know it's early days, but I'm looking forward to hearing more about it.
I'd also be curious to see how big it really is. Maybe a shot of it on the A7R?
I have the Canon EF 100/2.8 macro and am therefore not sure it's worth it for me to spend $1000+ on the 90, but still. Curiosity abounds.

xpfloyd wrote in post #17617336 (external link)
Owners of the voigtlander super wide heliar 15 mm III lens (David and nadim from memory??) - can any of you tell me if you can hand hold Lee grad filters in front of it or is it so wide that you see the edges of the filter?

I know you can't attach the Lee filter holder due to the fixed hood but wondering if handholding is an option for grads

Never tried that. I'm lucky that I still have the EF 16-35. So when I need a 10-stop ND shot, I just use that.
Having said that, the CV 15 will take a regular screw-mount (or whatever you call those) ND filter (it has a 49mm thread, if memory serves). So if you really must have the CV 15 and an ND, there's a way to make it work.

Sony A7RII and a bunch of lenses.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,701 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 01, 2015 18:19 |  #1455

Tomorrow I'll have a chance to play with the lens more. I'll also shoot the 90 macro along side the other Sony lenses for comparison. One thing this lens is going to force me to do and that is to buy a different camera bag. This time, instead of buying another small one I think I'm going to get a rolling bag that I can use to store all my gear at home in and to put in the car for trips if I want to take everything with me. I will use my other small bags to use away from the house or car to carry a small assortment of lenses, etc with.

I'm looking forward to having a unified storage system for camera(s), lenses, flashes and all the other paraphernalia that goes with them. I will do this once I receive the a7rII and decide what I'm going to sell off to get slim and trim photographic equipment wise anyway.

sponsored links

4,212,270 views & 33,338 likes for this thread
Sony A7x lounge
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.