Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 27 Jun 2015 (Saturday) 19:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any Good Big Camera stores on the West Coast

LVDJC
53 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 27, 2015 19:57 |  #1

Hi Guys, I live in Vegas and frequently shop online at B&H and Adorama. Are there any comparable big Camera stores on the West Coast? In Vegas we only have B and C camera. They are ok but kind of a store that you only shop when you can't wait to have it shipped. Also, their store policy is No Returns at all, only store credit which I don't agree with. Would love to know of a store maybe in California that I could go to and have a day of just wandering around and spending my "Wife given" allowance. Thanks. Dave

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,276 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt. (4 edits in all)

Jun 28, 2015 18:45 |  #2

'Good and big' camera stores are largely an oxymoron these days.
The 'good' ones are generally not that large any more.
The NYC mail order stores have reduced the 'big' to a very small handful.

Kinda like 'big hardware store where you can get lots of good advice about how to do things'. Everyone shops the big box hardware stores for price, and you cannot get good information very often.

If you are in SF Bay area, go to Palo Alto (about 30-40 minutes south of SF) and try Keeble & Shuchat or try Bear Images. Both are 'good', K&S is a reasonable size with a pro oriented store across the street from the other 'consumer' store. Bear is smaller but carries more esoteric stuff that K&S doesn't. In SF, you can try Calumet.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

LVDJC
THREAD ­ STARTER
53 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 29, 2015 14:48 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #3

Thanks, I'm actually in Monterey till Thursday and fly out of SFO. I'll have to try to stop by there Thursday morning. Have a great day!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,332 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 30, 2015 10:40 |  #4

Samy's is big anyway :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

swldstn
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 01, 2015 18:58 |  #5

Wilt wrote in post #17613781 (external link)
'Good and big' camera stores are largely an oxymoron these days.
f you are in SF Bay area, go to Palo Alto (about 30-40 minutes south of SF) and try Keeble & Shuchat or try Bear Images. Both are 'good', K&S is a reasonable size with a pro oriented store across the street from the other 'consumer' store. Bear is smaller but carries more esoteric stuff that K&S doesn't. In SF, you can try Calumet.

K & S is one of my favorite places to visit. Also don't miss the used gear department if your into that kind of thing. Its is the pro level store where lighting gear is as well.

Never been to Bear. I'll have to seek it out next time I'm there which should be later this summer.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

riots100
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 03, 2015 13:19 |  #6

Samy's Camera in Los Angeles is pretty big. The Main store on Fairfax in the Mid-City area is fun to browse around in.

-----
Bruce Johnson
bruce@bdjohnson.net (external link)
bdjohnson.net (external link)
flickr.com/riots100 (external link) 500px.com/bdj (external link)

gojirasf
346 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 03, 2015 17:34 |  #7

swldstn wrote in post #17617405 (external link)
K & S is one of my favorite places to visit. Also don't miss the used gear department if you're into that kind of thing.

K&S is definitely a fun place to get lost in for awhile. Also, the used gear is across the street and is definitely worth checking out as well.

The best part is that you will pass right by it driving from Monterey to SFO, so have a great time!

5D Mark IV | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II | 35 f/1.4L II | 100 f/2.8L IS | Full Gear List

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,656 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 03, 2015 20:28 |  #8

Calumet is only in IL (3 locations). All other stores are closed as far as I know.They do have a presence on Amazon, and I shop there for their line of stands.

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 40/2.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 77mm 500D Macro, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 8 MDH, 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,355 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by bpalermini.

Jul 03, 2015 20:41 |  #9

The two big camera stores in LA are Samy's (as mentioned earlier) and Bel Air Camera. The big Samy's store (multiple floors, lots of stuff) is the one on Fairfax. Both are on the west side of the city. Bel Air is near the UCLA campus.

There are other interesting stores catering to the video business. Film Tools in Burbank is one of the nicest. They have some photography equipment and lots of stuff that works for both like lighting, storage, etc. It is easy for me to spend an hour or two wandering there.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

LVDJC
THREAD ­ STARTER
53 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jul 04, 2015 06:30 as a reply to  @ bpalermini's post |  #10

Thanks for all the replies!

riots100
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 08, 2015 15:26 |  #11

bpalermini wrote in post #17619737 (external link)
Film Tools in Burbank is one of the nicest. They have some photography equipment and lots of stuff that works for both like lighting, storage, etc. It is easy for me to spend an hour or two wandering there.

I ALWAYS end up spending money when I go there...

-----
Bruce Johnson
bruce@bdjohnson.net (external link)
bdjohnson.net (external link)
flickr.com/riots100 (external link) 500px.com/bdj (external link)

sponsored links

3,385 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any Good Big Camera stores on the West Coast
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.